1.    #1  
    Is there any way to record a persons name (probably using a desktop software) and somehow have it assigned as a "ringtone" and have TC Ringer pronouns the name?
    No--the palm doesn't have a speaker, it can only play midi tones, not voice or recorded music. Yes the treos have a speaker, but it's part of the phone, which is inaccessible via the palm portion.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jwardell
    No--the palm doesn't have a speaker, it can only play midi tones, not voice or recorded music.
    I,m not that technical, but can a voice recording( something very short, like "Wife") be converted into Midi?
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    No. MIDI is not an audio format, it is simply the instruction set for playing notes at specified durations, velocity, etc.

- matt
    Actually, there are programs that can convert WAV files to PDB format and play them through the tiny piezo "speaker" that the Palm uses for alarms. As these chips aren't real speakers, but special crystals that vibrate when a charge is sent to them, they are really only good for single tones, not complex waveforms. As such, it does a really good job at beeps and chirps, but a horrible job at everything else. I search for WAV on PalmGear will probably turn up a few programs that can do it, but the quick and dirty way is to download TealMovie and a movie with audio and play it. You'll hear that the sound is very distorted and crackly, and almost incomprehensible. Anything with a voice or speech is difficult to understand without putting the Palm up to your ear, and even then you have to know what it is saying to really hear it. The louder the volume, the worse the distortion. If anyone were to make a ringtome/alarm hack that could play waveform files instead of beeps, it would be too quiet to hear in most situations, and if you did hear it, it would be too distorted to tell if it said "Bob" or "Rod" or probably even "antidisestablishmentarianism". ;-)

So, yes, it *could* be done, but you wouldn't want to. :\
    This is why Sony has enhanced the audio on many of its models. Being able to play waveforms clearly is a great feature, and you'll always know when someone has a Clie becuase of the alarm sounds it makes.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    Actually, there are programs that can convert WAV files to PDB format and play them through the tiny piezo "speaker" that the Palm uses for alarms. As these chips aren't real speakers, but special crystals that vibrate when a charge is sent to them, they are really only good for single tones, not complex waveforms.
    Sorry for the stupid question, but does the Treo actually have an additional crystal for sound? There is that big loud speaker in the flip-lid they could also use, and I think that with the Treo's little case, each additional part makes things more difficult. If they have a piezo crystal, sound will be horrible, I agree, but if they connected the Palm sound out to the speaker amp, such WAV playing tools should work like a breeze, like they do on the Nokia communicators...
    The ringtones sound very horrible, like they are from the Atari 2600 days. Why can't cell phone manufacturers create an interface that can play mp3s?

A lot of the TC Ringtones sounds like beeps, bleeps, etc. Is that the best that the Treo can do?

I'm sorry, it's just my opinion.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Yes, there is a separate piezo speaker, yes it would be cool if the phone speaker could be used, and yes it does sound like an old video game thing because of the simplicity of the sounds. Then again, the piezo speaker is the least power consuming method of creating alert signals, and since the main purpose of the sounds is just to get your attention, it is a good choice.

A good example of a big compromise is the Sony T615. It has enhanced audio, so can play waveform audio for alarms and other things. It also has the WORST battery life of any PalmOS device to date (no firm data on the NR70, though ;-)

The real question is whether it is even *possible* to route sound from the PalmOS to the phone speaker. If so, then much better audio could be accomplished.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/