View Poll Results: What 3 features would make a Treo 360 perfect for you?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • CMDA is enough

9 11.84%
  • GPRS

40 52.63%
  • SD or other memory expansion

62 81.58%
  • Jog dial instead of memory

9 11.84%
  • Graffitti!

5 6.58%
  • Graffitti / keyboard combo

11 14.47%
  • Graffitti / keypad combo (number keypad for dialing)

5 6.58%
  • mp3

34 44.74%
  • 2 sim cards or other home/work accounting

9 11.84%
  • Lower price

33 43.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    So, let's just say there's one more shoe to drop this year -- a Treo 360, just to round things out. What are the 3 most important features that would make it perfect for you? (You're on the honor system to select no more than 3.... Also, I'm assuming it's color...)
    Last edited by kouba; 05/29/2002 at 12:55 AM.
    Im my opinion, it will need:

- A larger battery, possibly exchangeable
    - SD slot with IO function
    - A jot-like option for writing on screen (since it has the thumbboard *g*)
    - UMTS, Bluetooth and 802.11b in addition to GSM and GPRS

Oh, I'm starting to get unrealistic? Well, maybe that is because I will only buy my next treo in 2 years when my service runs out *g*
    How about:
    Voice Recorder
    Updated OS
    More Powerful Processor
    Replaceable battery

Paul
    All I want for now is an SD. All th othe fancy stuff can come later when they can sell the unit for less than $500.
    i want to be able to use the treo's internet connection to provide connectivity to, for example, my laptop.

ideally, through a bluetooth sdio expansion card.

thus, my imaginary "holy grail" treo 360 would include:

*palm os 4.x
    *16-bit color outdoor-viewable screen.
    *backlit keyboard
    *16 mb memory (or more)
    *same (or similar) weight/size
    *sd/mmc slot that SUPPORTS SDIO, with the ability to share it's radio's internet connection (be that a dialup circuit-switched-data connection, a gprs connection, or a cdma '3g' connection) via bluetooth to another device (like my powerbook)

i'd pay REALLY good money for this exact device.
  6.    #6  
    I'm a big "where's the Graffitti?" fan, but I see this in the Treo 270 FAQ:

A. Treo 270 has a built-in QWERTY keyboard, and we do not plan to offer a Graffiti version at this time. The thumb keyboard offers faster, more familiar data entry and navigation than Graffiti, and it is more appealing to a wide variety of customers - both current Palm OS device users as well as non-Palm users. <B><I>Any customers that would like the option of Graffiti to supplement the keyboard can use a third-party application such as Jot or RecoEcho to use Graffiti on Treo 270.</I></B>

Anybody use Jot or RecoEcho? I guess they let you write on the main screen?
    Originally posted by kouba
    Anybody use Jot or RecoEcho? I guess they let you write on the main screen?
    Yep - I have a 180 and Jot. It allows you to write in Graffiti on the main screen. It works. As far as I know, it doesn't provide the ability to do graffiti based shortcuts the way some apps do with the graffiti area on a plain old palm device... But does enable graffiti based text input into virtually all apps if that's what you're looking for.

FYI - I'm a convert from Graffiti to the keyboard and use Jot only very rarely for "heads up" note taking with a client, etc. Otherwise I prefer the keyboard.

Paul
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, Paul... I just tried the Jot demo from PalmGear. Pretty cool, and takes away my biggest complaint about the keyboard-only Treos.. (Other than the fact that there's still no GSM in my area, so it's all kind of moot for awhile)

I wonder why Handspring didn't just bundle Jot or RecoEcho with Treo and market it as a virtual Graffitti area... RecoEcho's only $10 retail, so cost shouldn't have been an issue... The only problem I can see is that it might lead scratched screens. My Prism Graffitti area is in bad shape (and I didn't pay attention to it until the warranty ran out)
    My holy grail of treo's:

*SD/MMC memory expansion
    *MP3 player
    *Digital voice recorder
    *able to use blue tooth
    *able to use as a wireless modem for my
    laptop
    *a built in digital camera would be cool
    *this may seem silly, but some kind of
    adapter that lets me dial in the internet
    on a phone line (if I have the
    opportunity I'd just as soon not use up
    cell minutes)
    *some kind of direct connect feature (I
    heard Sprint was working on something
    like this, so maybe on the cdma version)
    *voice dialing
    *long battery life

That's enough for the next version, I'm sure I can think up more for the one after that.
    This Treo360 would really benefit from Solar Panels. I don't care how long it takes for it to get a full charge, at least it has the possibility of being revived when you aren't near a charger.

When you work in the field, access to a charger or electricity is not always possible. Shucks, even a business man who forgot his charger.. shuttling down the hiway could put the phone on top of the dash and get enough of a charge to call ahead and explain why he is late. When I am in the field abroad where there is no electricity, I would like to be away from home base for 4 or 5 days, and know that I can still grab some info off my palm.

When you start getting into rechargables, you need to find new ways to keep the power going besides plugging it in, like the new hybird gas/electric cars from Honda.

I would also like to see the Stylus have a screwdriver and a solid metal reset pin. The namby-pamby plastic one bends at the drop of a dime which makes it absolutely useless for anything else but for resetting, and even THEN it can bend.

The screwdriver on the other side came in handy, but a Ink pen would be just as handy for those who are able to keep track of the Treo, but not writing utensils.

802.11 or Bluetooth get my vote. At this point, I would take 802.11 over Bluetooth. Bluetooth so far has proven to be good for wireless headsets. 802.11 is good for a ton of practical uses today.
    Amongst quite a few things that could be added to the Treo to make it better I think one of the most important is that it should be Tri Band rather than just Dual Band. In fact I fail to understand why the Treo is not Tri Band to begin with. I mean why has Handspring decided to have two different versions of the Treo, one for the US & Canada and the other for Europe & Asia? Is it really that hard to make a Tri Band phone? Anyhow it could'nt be all that difficult when there are much cheaper phones available which have Tri Band.
    Anyone have any ideas on why the Treo is only dual-band and not tri-band.
    The visorphone worked in europe with one of their Sims.

The treo doesnt?
    The U.S. treo 900/1900 is considered a world phone. It works fine in U.S. and in Europe. I've used my 180 in Europe no problems, it just picks up the 900 network. Perhaps the only place it might not work is in the U.K.
    Well the Treo 1900/900 should work in the U.K too. According to GSMworld.com, O2 and Vodafone both have 900 MHz GSM networks.
    the third band is actually for Asia, where you would find yourself out of luck.
    Originally posted by TreoGirl
    the third band is actually for Asia, where you would find yourself out of luck.
    That is not true, GSM900 is as prevalent in Asia as it is in Europe. The fact is that GSM900 and GSM1800 are both used in most parts of Europe & Asia, depending on country to country and are to area and also depending on the number of operators in an area, both frequency bands are used. Although GSM900 is found to be used in more places than GSM1800. Also there are networks that use a combination of both GSM900 & GSM1800 again due to frequency availability in different areas. For eg. in India GSM900 is used in all areas by the first 3 service providers but the fourth service operator in each area has been allocated GSM1800 for their use. The problem with not having both GSM900 & GSM1800 is that while roaming you are limited to only the operators and areas that offer GSM900.

Therefore my original question still stands. WHY IS THE TREO ONLY DUAL-BAND RATHER THAN TRI-BAND? I mean why has Handspring decided to have two different versions of the Treo, one for the US & Canada and the other for Europe & Asia? Is it really that hard to make a Tri-Band phone? It could'nt be all that difficult after all there are much cheaper phones available which have Tri Band.
    Anyone have any ideas on why the Treo is only dual-band and not tri-band.
    You should ask the manufacturer of the wireless module and not handspring.
    = Better phone features such as call time accumulator, add from call log to contact list
    = 802.11
    = Camera
    = Longer battery life
    = Clock (&time works but is lame)
    I was on vacation in Beijing a week ago and was able to use my U.S. purchased Treo just fine ... I did have to purchase a new SIM card.