Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I use to love HS, but I am getting very frustrated with this company's final product decisions. I had the original visor, visor deluxe, visor prism and a few modules. I have been waiting to replace my prism with something smaller thats integrates with my phone. I am confused these products have been out
    for at least 3 years, why isn't the price getting cheaper, same motorola processor, though the treo has different screen, its cost is 50% cheaper than the TFT screen. The screen is only 12bit, I don't believe in going backwards when I buy a piece of technology. No graffiti for the color treo! No expansion slot! HS wants us to pay $700 for this (I currently have a Voicestream plan)! I know Sony has a lot more money for R&D, but they are
    managing to sell a much more technological advanced product for far less (even though it doesn't support wireless). Also, I don't know what is taking HS so long to give us a patch for gprs. Voicestream is one of the wireless providers that support it and it works fairly well when it is actually up. The treo isn't a bad product; it just doesn't offer the advancements to
    replace my aging and bulky prism. I was going to eventually buy this product, but no grafitti...I don't think so. I really need the wireless connectivity, I have been connecting with my prism via my nokia 8290 phone, but this is becoming too cumbersome. I was anxiously waiting for the color treo but without graffiti and an inferior screen to my prism, I won't be purchasing this product.

Did you know the jog dial on the treo is only functional via the phone menu? While in apps. mode, you can only use it to scroll down in the applications menu, not select a particular application? Also it doesn't have a mute option while on a call; (be very quite while on a conference call).

I'm not sure if they added these features for the 270...I doubt it.
    Last edited by jaxrunner; 05/29/2002 at 11:31 PM.
    I can't give up color either, but the thought of giving up Graffitti is just as bad. I don't particularly like writing by hand, but the tiny keys on a thumboard would cripple me as far as data input goes, and I use my Prism for just about EVERYTHING.

I'd rather keep Graffitti in the color version and leave the option open to add a full-size keyboard:
    * Stowaway - still cool
    * Infrared-powered - http://www.pockettopinc.com/
    * Laser-powered - http://news.com.com/2100-1040-913497.html
    http://www.virtualdevices.net/
    My visor deluxe has been, and, at least in the forseeable future, be all I need in a handheld.

Granted, when I *do* finally get around to upgrading to a new one, there isn't anything compelling about the new Handspring products, especially when compared to Sony's offerings--and also when compared to the pace at which competing platforms are advancing in relation to the Palm OS.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    This all, ultimately, comes down to personal choice. Some like the additional screen resolution, some graffiti. Personally, I can't really tell you if the device has higher reolution (Sony vs. Treo)and I never liked Graffiti, so the 90 appears to be a great choice for me!

The Editors at ZD Net thought enough of the Treo 90 to give it their "Editors Choice" award with an average score of 8.2. Check out the review at: http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/sto...561635,00.html
    The Treo 270 can or cannot offer more than the already released Treo 180. I mean, it's the same thing just adding color right??? Now, for some people, color is everything, and in that case, they're very compelled by it. In others, color doesn't add much to the value of their PDA, in fact the shorter battery life makes it worse. It just depends on the user.

As for the keyboard, I think it's suppose to be a plus, and upgrade. Graffiti has been debated a few times before, and I believe it will come to an end soon enough. While I've never tried a keyboard before, the "thumbs" revolution is coming in many areas. Mobile phones especially, but really the Blackberry devices have started it. Graffiti can cramp your hand quicker than a keyboard, even if it is small. Nevertheless, sometimes if we just take a risk, we may get used to it and find it better . I find the virtual keyboard on my Rex just as fast if not faster than graffiti. Some people are very attached to graffiti, but I never found it that good.

Back to the Treo, there is no device out like it. No single device that combines a mobile phone and PalmOS device WELL. So on the principle of "supply and demand," Handspring can charge more because there is no other device like it. Now, the question if they are selling, I don't know. It seems like it...you just may have to pay a little more to get great fusion of phone and PDA. If you really need that, then that's the price you pay. Many people get along fine with the devices seperate. Up to you

As for the Prism, and the deluxe and all of Handspring's old device. I mean, over the years, they haven't loss ANY of the functionality that they had when they were introduced. They are just as powerful as they were 2 plus years ago. It's just the thought and image of new, better, more powerful devices has caused us to believe that . The Deluxe and Prism are great devices, but guys like us just always need to have the "coolest thing on the block," so we have to go through the decisions and spend the money on it. Unless we really need/want multimedia in our PDA, new devices do nothing. Unless we need our phone and PDA together, the Treo does nothing. It's about what you need and want. Many times the want compells us to shed the cash . Do we really "need" these new things??? Haha, of course not, but who cares That's half the fun in PDAs.
    nelson.hsieh
    good artists copy, great artists steal. . .
    Originally posted by AzNCoMpUtAnErD

Back to the Treo, there is no device out like it. No single device that combines a mobile phone and PalmOS device WELL. So on the principle of "supply and demand," Handspring can charge more because there is no other device like it. Now, the question if they are selling, I don't know. It seems like it...you just may have to pay a little more to get great fusion of phone and PDA. If you really need that, then that's the price you pay. Many people get along fine with the devices seperate. Up to you
    Actualy,...
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1022792116558
    Originally posted by Handspring

Actualy,...
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1022792116558
    The Samsung I300 is not the same in many ways...
    - Bigger (by a cubic centimeter)
    - 8MB only
    - No built-in screen protection, which means you need a case, which makes the whole package a lot bigger
    - Graffiti, no keyboard
    - No SMS-type functionality
    - Battery dies sooner...

Dollar for dollar I'd go Treo (and I am!).
    Fyr654321 wrote:
    No SMS-type functionality

The functionality is in the network, not the phone. Text messaging can be done on any phone using Sprint PCS (at $0.15 per message). But it only works between Sprint PCS phones.