Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    CREATOR OF DATEBK IS A SAD AND DISLOYAL COMPANY!

HI, All,

The following are a series of emails back and forth between myself and the developer of dateBK6. Not just is he not interested in writing for webOS, he thinks Palm will fail. I think he has had a hand in it. After all, he got his start b/c of Palm. In stead of crying that webOS makes up such a small amount of the phones, (but it is growing), he should be working on a unified platform and should have been for the past few years! Besides, it took half the time to get from 1000 apps to 1700 apps as it did to get from 0 apps to 1000 apps. Apps are rolling in fster and faster, as Pre sales contiune to grow. They will continue growing faster and faster as the PRE can do more and more. Now that it can play 3d games an run Flash!

If he thinks there is no future in Palm, yet, how do you explain the fact that SplashData just bought Iambic and the rfirst thing they did was to announce that they will support webOS?

True, it is slow going for Palm however, Palm stock has gone up since it bottomed out at about a buck and now is up at just under $6. That gives us some breathing room.

We need to get more sales and to do so, we need better ads from the cell providers. In the meantime, the next generation of Pre's will be out soon. These will have improvements to both hard and software.

Apple is refusing to allow flash, Palm is bragging about having it. I think Apple put it's foot down, to make sure of you having to buy newspapers etc., from the Apple store in stead of for free, if Flash does not work on the Ipad, there will be less people trying to illegally teather to an Ipad. (Which I could care less about b/c I do not want either the Iphone or the Ipad, (I hate the name Ipad)). Palm listened when we wanted to teather and made the Pre Plus teather to multiple units at the same time. Rome was not built in a night!

Take care, Jay

PS. As much as I love using dateBK6, I will live without it, when my contract ends with V for my Centro, (in Oct), and I will then get a Pre and switch to iambic!

ME: Good day,

AFTER READING THE INFO BELOW, NOW WILL YOU CONSIDER MAKING DATEBK FOR THE webOS SYSTEM? (Not the jury rigged version of dateBK6 working as a Palm Classic)?

PLEASE NOTE: MY BACK AND FORTH EMAILS TO PIMLICO CONTIUES AFTER THE ARTICLE ABOUT IAMBIC!

iambic acquired by SplashData, Agendus coming to webOS and Android
    By Derek Kessler | Saturday, Mar 6, 2010
    Having recently acquired iambic, SplashData announced in an email sent to iambic customers that they intend to expand their offerings onto new platforms. Specifically, Agendus, and specifically onto webOS and Android:

If you haven't heard, SplashData has acquired iambic, combining the resources of two of the most respected and established developers of mobile productivity software. We are very excited to have the opportunity to work on Agendus and expand its features as well as bring it to new mobile platforms such as Android and webOS.

Agendus is iambic’s signature product and something missed by a great many Palm OS users after making the switch to webOS. When we’ll see Agendus on webOS and what condition it will be in is still up in the air, but it’s great to hear that it’s coming regardless. And trust us, as soon as we hear something more, we’ll let you know!

If you’re not familiar with Agendus, it began as a Palm OS app (back in the day when the were still called applications) that served as a replacement for the Palm OS Date Book. Agendus was more than just another calendar: it integrated with your memos, tasks, contacts, and more to bring it all into one tightly-knit package: your agenda. There’s even more to it than that - to see why Agendus was such a beloved Palm OS app, we’re going to point you to Agendus' extensive feature list. If just one quarter of those features make it to webOS we’ll be exceedingly happy campers.

ME: Good day, In answer to your email , you could licence it to palm and have them adapt it or have you forgotten where all of your customers orginaly came from? After all, if you would make it available to Palm to adapt, (for a fee payable to you & your firm), perhaps their user base would expand. If you let them adapt it, you are in a win-win situation. After all, they would be doing the work and you would make form $! Please do respond to this, thank you, Jay M Silverman

ME: AFTER READING THE INFO BELOW, NOW WILL YOU CONSIDER MAKING DATEBK FOR THE webOS SYSTEM? (Not the jury rigged version of dateBK6 working as a Palm
    Classic)?

DATEBK6:There are no immediate plans to support the Pre's native WebOS with a version of Pimlical - Pimlical is more likely to be implemented first on the major SmartPhone platforms such as Android and Blackberry (since Pimlical is a java application). At this point, the WebOS accounts for a truly minute portion of the SmartPhone market (less than 1/2 of 1 percent) and since it would require a complete rewrite of the application to run on the WebOS, it's not likely to happen. Android, Blackberry and iPhone are obviously far more important (iphone is an issue due to closed architecture, while Android looks reasonable with its more open and standardized architecture, albeit a
    kind of unique GUI.

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.

ME: Actually I think that if Palm is sold, it would be b/c of the next
    generation webOS. not in spite of it. Take care, Jay

DATEBK6: Well don't misunderstand my opinion of the WebOS - it's a great idea and
    it's where most of this stuff will be going in the future as there is an
    obvious need to make programming easier for the average person, rather than
    requiring people with super-programming skills. The problem is that it is
    not backwards compatible with anything and thus requires all developers to
    rewrite their programs. Developers have been willing to do that for Apple
    which sold more units in the first weekend than I think Palm sold in the
    past six months<g>, but it's still just a numbers game....

Cheers!
    CESD, Pimlico Software, Inc.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I hope he eats his words soon!
  3.    #3  
    Ditto!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    +1
    Everyone's time comes sometime. His may be soon. As he even notes that the OS like WebOS and the openness is the future.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    He's sad and disloyal because he doesn't have faith in the webos operating system??

Honestly, there are several developers that seem to be waiting it out on WebOS to see how it goes before getting rolling with developing. DataViz comes to mind.

I wish all developers would job on board with WebOS, but they do have to believe it to be worthwhile to do so... and not everyone has given WebOS a fair shake.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Why should he have to give up potential income with established phone markets (blackberry) to supplement a company (Palm) that did nothing to help him transition to a new OS (aka backward compatibility) or do something to keep their market share from swirling down the toilet (aka continued income)? His decision is respectable and does nothing to preclude him from returning to Palm if they ever grow their market share again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    CREATOR OF DATEBK IS A SAD AND DISLOYAL COMPANY!

HI, All,

The following are a series of emails back and forth between myself and the developer of dateBK6. Not just is he not interested in writing for webOS, he thinks Palm will fail.
    1) The title of your post is ridiculous. Sad and Disloyal???
    2) The creator of datebk is entitled to his opinion and he doesn't owe you or anybody else ANYTHING with regards to webOS.
    3) Posting private emails in a public forum is generally frowned upon unless both parties agree (although I guess there could be exceptions....in this case I don't see any.)
    4) Your post is an EPIC FAIL.
  8.    #8  
    He should support his software for webOS, not b/c Palm was not supportive to him, but b/c he should be loyal to his customers!

Keep in mind, most apps are not too much mnoey these days. Yet, his software was pricey & if I remember, he also charged us for upgrades. Even his upgrades in those days cost more than most apps do these days.

I also have used versions 4, 5 & 6 of his software, as have many of us. He should be loyal to us, not just to Palm.

We made his firm succesful and he tosses us to the curb.

Perhaps his software would have made the Pre sell better, who knows.

I was ALWAYS self emplyed, ( and in fact, I never worked for anyone other than myself), and if I took his position, I would not have had any customers!
  9.    #9  
    Trek, to you it is not so important, but to me it is. I am the primary and in fact only care giver to my 86 year old Mom, who almost died 3 times last year She has many drs appts. Since I am disabled so do I. The only way I can keep up with all of them is tru dateBK. I have used dateBK with the Treo 300, 600 & 650. Not to mention, keeping up with all of our RX's. MY mom's rx's where changed 3 time sin 4 months last year. DateBK help me get thru all of the confusion of it all.

Attacking my posting does not change the fact that he does not have loyality to his cusomers. If he does not want to do this b/c Palm made his firm what it is now, how about for all of us, that have used it for years and years.

BTW, I have no problem in someone posting a private email I have sent out, b/c I only email people, what I am willing to say publicly. I also mentioned in an earlier exchange of emails, that I was going to report back to the readers of his site.

A number of years ago, I was asked to testify in front of the US house of reps, on reforms of Medicare Hmo's and how they impach=t upon the disabled. (I did volunteer to testify and it is not what I did for a living or what my education was in).

I was misquoted by the press and misquoted to my face by the members of the house. I didn't get upset about it, I delat with it. If if doesn't want his private emails posted, perhaps he is doesn't want to be publicly put in the corner, yet, then again, he thought nothing fo duping loyality to us.

Trek your not my parent, I am an adult and truly should not be lectured by you. I do not even yet own a Pre. I am looking into a Pre, when my contract ends in Oct with V for my Centro.

I want a Pre, I will gladly dump my dateBK, which I love and use the most of all of my apps, due to Pimlico's bad adittiude toward loyal customers.

So I will take your lecture from where it comes from a stranger, who thinks I have bad manners.

Gee I am not the one who dumped on his customers, Pimlico did!
    I've used DateBk on Palm devices back to DateBk3. Pimlico Software was always helpful on various issues. Upgrades were free for a year after a purchase, if memory serves. I've been looking forward to Pimlical for WebOS and will continue to do so. But one does work where the income is, and WebOS isn't there yet.
    ive gotta ask about the bike in the avatar pic whered you find it or was it a custom
    Can any developer come up with an Agendus or Datebook like app for that matter with the developer tools available at present?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Trek, to you it is not so important, but to me it is.
    Please read the post linked below. It explains the situation better than I can.

Developers not doing webOS
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ilovedessert, it's easy for you to be loyal. All you have to do is buy a phone or a PDA every year or two. If things don't go so well for Palm, all you do is go over to the store and buy a different phone. So you chose a phone. Big deal.

Now you are expecting a developer to spend literally hundreds of hours developing software for a platform that has less than 5% US smartphone share. If webOS goes the same way as Palm OS then he might as well have flushed all of that effort down the toilet.
    Untidy...they could liscence the software to Palm and let Palm alter it as needed. If Palm is such a nitch player to Pimlico and he thinks the webOS is never going to catch on, why not sell or liscence the software to Palm and let Palm do it?

This way he wouldn't have to put in all of the hours and effort into it. He is hedging his bets and keeping the door open in case it catches on.

However, if he doesn't have loyality to his customers or Palm, then he should just sell the rights to it for the webOS and have palm change the name.

Do keep in mind, at one time dateBK came on TREO's! If webOS doesn't catch on, then it is no skin off his back. After all, isn't palm dropping all on Pre products? The palm OS portion of Pimlico's sales will dry up to nothing, as the rest of Palm's old line is closed out. So why not sell the rights to Palm?

BTW it is a big deal to me picking out a phone. I have only had Palm in the last 7 years adn I do want to coninue, that is why I am on the PRE portion of the site. That is why I emailed dateBK in the 1st place.

If I wasn't loyal, I could be looking at other smart phones from other companies, I have not. In fact the Pre is the only next gen smart phone I have looked at! I could jump ship and get an IPhone but I am loyal to Palm b/c they have been loyal and very helpful to me. In the past so was Pimlico. However, to me it seems that Pimlico wants it both ways.

After all, I wrote Pimlico in the 1st place b/c many of you have complained that the calender portion of the PRE is a weak link! I did not write them for my health!
  15.    #15  
    Palm doc, I did suggest to Pimlico, having his software liscensed to Palm and this way it would pay for him to alter it or sell it and have Palm change it.

I have also contact Palm on this subject 2 weeks ago. For what ever it is worth, I did get a case # from Palm.

Many of you have complained that the calender of the PRE is a weak spot. Therefore, I tried to pressure both Palm and Pimlico.

I feel PImlico wants it's cake and eat it too. It is not just the $ to adapt the software. It also requires us to pressure Palm to cut a deal with Pimlico, it did before and it should do it again.

I know things are financially tight with Palm, but if enough of us pressure Palm, perhaps they will work with Pimlico. The same should be said for pressuring Pimlico, it is not just the $ for his time, it is also the need for demand. It is a chicken and egg issue. I al trying my best to help fix the situation.

After all, as I pointed out before, I could have easlity said screw it and wait for the software that splashdata is now adapting or not want to buy a pre. I want to be loyal to both. However, they shoudl be interested in meeting all of us half way.

Palm/handspring has already cut a deal with Pimlico, it could do it again. After all Palm products were known for the strenght of it's calenders!
    internet explorer 6 is dead.

developer is a harsh businessman.

find an alternative. I have a disabled wife, with MS. And a daughter (adopted) with a disability that requires many appts.

but... Don't ait here and type to me like it's life and death and you have no other options.

I don't agree with the lazy developer, but, nonetheless, move on.
    I have loved using DateBook over the years & it was a major deciding factor in my moving away from a Treo to the Pre (didn't make the move until I knew Classic/DB6 would function on the Pre).

For me, I use DB6 for one function, irregular repeating events. I would love to convert to using Google Calendar or some other calendar program but have not found one that provides the irreg. repeat. event function.

As far as CESDewar & his current approach to Palm; he's taken a stand before & changed his mind, he may do it again. But it's not a matter of disloyality, it's a business decision. Some decisions are good & some bad....but he will have to reap the rewards or consequences....
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    I would like to point out that Datebk6 works quite well on the Pre using Classic. I use it quite well, and am happy with it. I would love to see it ported to webOS, but Pimlico is a one-man operation. There is just no money in it for him given the small market share of webOS. I can't blame him at all for not continuing development on the Palm platform. Furthermore, if you read about his company, most of his money goes to save gorillas. It is not about making lots of money for him. I want a much better calendar for webOS myself, with templates being the main issue for me, but I think unless Agendus steps up to the plate, we may be out of luck. I love the Pre, but unless something changes, I suspect webOS will go away some day. Too bad, because it seems to be the best mobile OS out there right now.
    Those of you who are happily using Datebk6 on WebOS: do you find that it works as fast as on the Treo? Using the Pre's calendar app is excruciatingly slow, and I can't, in the middle of a meeting, really take part in negotiating times. Everyone else is talking dates and I'm just trying to see them! For example, to decide which Thursday of the month to hold our next meeting? Forget it. It is hard to move to next Thursday, takes time for it to come into view, can't see the whole day at once, can only use the one font . . .

I miss templates and being able to make schedules irregular, and lots of other things, but the deal-breaker for me is knowing if it is fast?

Thanks for any help.

Steve
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    • Grammar.
    • Sentence structure.

Two necessities if you're attempting to persuade an audience. I skipped all your posts after reading your first paragraph. Sorry.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast