Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Yes, extremely rapid. Like lightning. I leave classic with datebk6 open all the time with the beauty of Pre multitasking, and it is always ready.

One thing I have noticed is that if I close classic without closing datebk first, it will lose the changes to the calendar. So, whenever I make a bunch of calendar changes I exit datebk by going to the home screen in Palm OS, and then reopen datebk. Takes all of less than a second. Palm OS runs like light speed in classic. I am once again a happy datebk6 user on the Pre. Love the templates.
  2.    #22  
    There has been a great deal of talk by Palm about how easy it is to port games to the pre. Is that the same for other apps, such as dateBK??? If that be the case, I still do not know why Palm, just does buy the rights to it for the Pre and port it themselves. Since the owner of dateBK doesn't care to do it himself. It's a shame I have been using dateBK for over 7 years!

However, Agendus was just purchased by the SplashData people and they will make all of their programs including Agendus work for the Pre.

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    There has been a great deal of talk by Palm about how easy it is to port games to the pre. Is that the same for other apps, such as dateBK??? If that be the case, I still do not know why Palm, just does buy the rights to it for the Pre and port it themselves. Since the owner of dateBK doesn't care to do it himself. It's a shame I have been using dateBK for over 7 years!
    Take care, Jay
    To be fair, the issues here are different than the issues that are involved with porting a game. The old DateBK programs directly accessed (and modified) the built in calendar database. On the Pre, such access to another application's databases are restricted. This is by design. Until Palm makes exceptions via their APIs, this will continue to be an issue.

As far as the developer abandoning Palm, I can't completely blame him, the market is not what it was in its heyday. They parted ways, and he got heavily involved in other areas. I also suspect there was some level of "bad blood" when he moved on.
    Companies don't need to be "loyal" to one another...no business would knowingly invest time and money to develop a product if they don't have reasonable confidence in a positive return. That's not loyalty, it's charity.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This thread is shameful - The guy behind dateBK provided a quality product for years and now he gets a lot of abuse because he's running a business and *gasp* wants to make money?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    At least he made DateBk6 Classic certified. I am using DateBk6 happily on my Pre. thorne
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Companies don't need to be "loyal" to one another...no business would knowingly invest time and money to develop a product if they don't have reasonable confidence in a positive return. That's not loyalty, it's charity.
    No they need to be loyal to the end user, us!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    No they need to be loyal to the end user, us!
    Your self of entitlement is amazing, you got what you paid for when you purchased the product for Palm OS. If you want more ownership than that, I suggest you buy the company.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Your self of entitlement is amazing, you got what you paid for when you purchased the product for Palm OS. If you want more ownership than that, I suggest you buy the company.
    Well said. The sense of entitlement is actually a little scary. I have been a loyal customer of DateBk 4, 5, 6. It is a great product and I received great support the few times I needed it. I purchased these products for the value they provided to me and I honestly feel I got my money's worth.

Now I have moved on to the PRE, a new phone with a new OS. Unfortunately, that means I no longer have DateBk6 but it was my choice to switch phones.

The developer has no obligation to provide his software on all future phones that I choose to buy.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
    • Grammar.
    • Sentence structure.

Two necessities if you're attempting to persuade an audience. I skipped all your posts after reading your first paragraph. Sorry.
    Dear karn101, If your comments were directed to me, I get a pass since I am disabled and the keyboard is challange!

I am well adjusted to being disabled, so you should be as well.

Take care, Jay
    This thread is pathetic. You feel the need to attack a developer in public because you don't like his business choices? Developing an app for a mobile platform takes a lot of time and money. Developers have to weigh their development cost against their expected return on investment. Lets be honest here, WebOS has been a massive disappointment in the sales department, making it harder for developers to make a profit.

I got a great idea, program your own WebOS app.
    It never ceases to amaze me how people will come out of the woodwork to go online and kick a company, sports franchise, etc. when it's down. Of course, in my experience these are the same folk who try to say the knew all along things would turn around if said entity rebounds. Honestly, it's kind of pathetic.

On the original topic, yes a developer, or anyone in business, has to decide where best to invest their time and resources. Likewise, existing customers of said business have to decide if they will continue to use its products and what kind of word-of-mouth advertising to give the company. Frankly, it's not smart business to do, or say, something that offends the sensibilities of your core audience (reference the Dixie Chicks). As a practical matter, if I were the developer here, I might make the same decision, but I certainly would have been MUCH more diplomatic in how I communicated that decision, especially since Palm loyalists have such an active and vibrant discourse within their community.

Ultimately, time will tell. Maybe the developer is right, but there are other PIM options coming to webOS. Maybe Palm will fold. Maybe they'll prove this developer and all the doomsayers wrong. Maybe Android will become a dominant platform, or maybe those early cracks you can already see will bring it down like similar cracks brought down Windows Mobile.

Gargoyle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12