Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Alright, so I don't think I've heard of this idea yet, if someone else has indeed thought it up already I'm sorry. So here's my idea: Basically start with the Pre then give the option to use *interchangable* keyboards. You could attach a vertical slider like the current Pre, a horizontal slider like most other phones, or a slim cover plate and use no keyboard at all. Changing would just involve a few well built snaps that would be easily replacable in the event of a snap breaking. This would also give the option for different keyboard options such as a dedicated game pad or a different language. Now before you go and say "a removable keyboard?! That will break in heartbeat!" just look at your current Pre and ask "could this get much worse?"; didn't think so. So am I crazy or could this be a serious game-changing idea?

- Phil -
    One problem is the size of the phone would be large and tricky to design... What would be smart is for palm to be successful and have demand and design 3 smartphones, vertical, horizontal, and slate (all with a virtual keyboard anyhow)

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Well you got all of the Droid, iphone and palm fans covered but forgot the candybar design for the Blackberry fans.
    sounds pretty wild
    Joe Dirt: Well, I see you got those snakes and sparklers. But where's the good stuff man?
    Kicking Wing: Good stuff? This is the good stuff, snakes and sparklers.
    Joe Dirt: Are you nuts dude? You need stuff that'll explode. Go *boom*!
    Kicking Wing: Why is that good?
    Joe Dirt: Well, huh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good?
    something very similar has already been done before. Look up the lg versa, my younger sister has one and it's actually pretty solidly bult. I think it's a pretty good idea on paper, but in reality I find it a bit gimmicky though. It's hard for me to imagine palm ever doing this.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Oh I agree that it's more of a dream than anything. But as components get smaller the possibilities get better (OLED anyone?). So how about this idea as well. The keyboard attachments house the camera and speaker (pretty much as they currently do). So you could buy the digital camera attachment that adds a 10mp camera and a shutter button. Or a full stereo high performance speaker package for listening to music. It'd be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post
    Oh I agree that it's more of a dream than anything. But as components get smaller the possibilities get better (OLED anyone?). So how about this idea as well. The keyboard attachments house the camera and speaker (pretty much as they currently do). So you could buy the digital camera attachment that adds a 10mp camera and a shutter button. Or a full stereo high performance speaker package for listening to music. It'd be awesome.
    I like the idea, man. way to go. These are the types of things that no one else is doing. It would make palm stand out from all the rest of the slideouts - vertical and horizontal, and would make the phone customizable to many types of user styles and/ or preferences.

I think they should do it. It can't hurt them. they have nothing to lose.
    something similar would work great for gaming - turn it into a little psp when you'd like
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That's definitely a brilliant idea. The device could come with a Palm Fanny-Pack to carry around all the pieces. There could be some co-branding with Transformers. If there's one thing that seems to be lacking in smartphones these days is plastic moving parts. Then bring back expansion cards, sleds, flippable screen covers and sleds. That's why Handspring was such a wild success 10 years ago.
    Yeah, and don't forget to build everything with cheap plastic parts... basically junk... you know... the basic quality palm has been famous for all along... don't bother with high quality metals or solidly crafted devices. Build flimsy toys for people to suffer on. THAT'S what palm is all about.

Cobrand it with the name colligan or hawkins and maybe star trek to match the types of fans palm has today.

People could use an over the shoulder police gun holster rather than a beltcase to carry this new device because it would look so much cooler.

Just remember, untidy, its all about cheap, crap plastic... Charge way too much for way too little and then pay a high monthly fee for an unfinished phone... because that's what palm is really all about, isn't it?

lmao
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah I think another phone already does something like this.

LG Versa.
    Basically you can use the onscreen keyboard or attach a VERY thin keyboard. It actually makes the phone look better with it attached.