Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After spending a lot of time yesterday creating my C40 mockup and making adjustments based on user input, I have decided to make yet another mockup, this time of a webOS Tablet device.

As you can see, the form factor is very similar to the iPad. About the same thickness, same screen size, with a few minor adjustments.

Most importantly: Less bezel. This is what the iPad was hammered for the most. It's a giant iPhone. The new webOS tablet needs style, and lots of it. It also needs robust build quality. Magnesium alloy shell (just like on my C40 mockup) with a beautiful, black gloss coating and a matte backing.

Now, the fun part: Two gesture areas, one on each side of the screen. This will allow for dynamic scrolling, zooming/scaling, or application switching.

Front-facing non-protruding camera as well as a built-in microphone in the front and a powerful speaker in the back.

This is where I need your help with the spec sheet: What specs NEED to be in there to make it a success? Capacity? User-replaceable battery? WiMAX?

Thank you for your input, can't wait to add your suggestions!

PS: Maybe Palm wants me in their team?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Well I hope Palm make this one WebOS Tablet.
    Very important:
    Capacitive touchscreen (multitouch), 10" screen, AMOLED display.
    CPU: 1Ghz processor
    RAM: Min: 512Mb
    Memory: Min: 16Gb
    Bluetooth: 2.1
    Wifi: b/g/n
    other network: 3G/Wimax
    USB: 2xUSB
    User-replaceable battery
    Compability with printers/scanners
    App Catalog all countries.
    palm should concentrate on phones first before they get too ahead of themselves and think about a tablet.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    palm should concentrate on phones first before they get too ahead of themselves and think about a tablet.
    I agree, though if the tablet market experiences a boom like the netbook market, it would be good for Palm to step in early. Granted, they probably don't have the resources for that kind of commitment right now.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettwerk View Post
    Very important:
    Capacitive touchscreen (multitouch), 10" screen, AMOLED display.
    CPU: 1Ghz processor
    RAM: Min: 512Mb
    Memory: Min: 16Gb
    User-replaceable battery
    Compability with printers/scanners
    I do think this would be an excellent set of specifications. I do think it needs more storage capacity. USB Connectivity - we'll see. webOS isn't really designed for external devices at this point.
    As much as I agree a webOS powered "iPad" would be a sweet thing to play with, I really think a truly usable tablet device should have "windows-style" software management.. Meaning I want to be able to minimize a window & drag it to a corner much like I can with a PC. WebOS multitasking is pretty good for a phone sized form factor.. but I think I would find it too limiting in a +10" tablet..

..and I'm pretty sure a LOT of upcoming iPad users are going to discover the same thing..
    im thinking 1.6 ghz processor to match the netbooks these days while trumping the ipad and a 250 gig hd
    The mockup is great but I think...and to maintain a Palm focus on keybaords...that this thing needs a good clicky hardware keyboard at the bottom in portrait mode...not a slider but a small one that would only take about 3" off the bottom...then a 1" gesture area above it.

just my 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    As much as I agree a webOS powered "iPad" would be a sweet thing to play with, I really think a truly usable tablet device should have "windows-style" software management.. Meaning I want to be able to minimize a window & drag it to a corner much like I can with a PC. WebOS multitasking is pretty good for a phone sized form factor.. but I think I would find it too limiting in a +10" tablet..

..and I'm pretty sure a LOT of upcoming iPad users are going to discover the same thing..
    imagine a revamped card view with cards laid out in 2D... that can be pinched larger or smaller, even rotated, and an on screen button in the corner to auto arrange if you mix everything up..
    I love it. I just wish they would come out with it!
    That is hawt!! as hot as the woman on the new Palm commercial! I want one!!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I think everyone knows that hardware is all that Palm needs.
    We got the right software.

WebOS is so easy to use and versatile.
    I would buy a Palm tablet it would be awesome. there are so many coming out with there own cheap garbage OS systems . DO IT Palm
    ht tp://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/dds1043/palm/WebOSTablet.jpg

I think mine is a lot better, lol.
    Damn, I made a mess again
    Wonder if HP ever saw this mockup? maybe its the reason they cancelled the Slate! they probably said.. "S***, our slate was UGLY! we want this!"
    a user replaceable battery is very unpractical in devices like this, it would ruin the design a lot on the back. Way around it...put in a big *** battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    However, tablets were apparently one of the reasons why HP bought them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettwerk View Post
    Very important:
    Capacitive touchscreen (multitouch), 10" screen,
    AMOLED display option available (since it costs alot more it can't be standard)
    CPU: dual core 1.0-1.5 ghz (scorpion or omap4
    RAM: Min: 1gb (you'd multitask so much more on a tablet, and ram is cheap)
    Memory: Min: 32Gb (memory is really cheap nowdays)
    User-replaceable battery
    Compability with printers/scanners/ cameras/palm pres

updated
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    OP u forget the gesture areas lol
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast