View Poll Results: What form factor would you like to see on the next Palm device?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vertical

78 68.42%
  • Horizontal

11 9.65%
  • Virtual

23 20.18%
  • other (please explain)

2 1.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I say keep the vertical slider
    slabs are whats in and they just work but perhaps a lg versa style phone to appease the die hard keyboarders while allowing for a slab
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    they set their phone apart from the rest by going with a vertical keyboard, and it has shown that it is fully usable. I say keep it! But as long as the next one isn't fully virtual i'll be happy though.
    Global Posts
    1,700 Global Posts
    I like the virtual slider as well.
    Slab Form Factor with webOS
    The 'Pre 2' should be a vertical slider with a better keyboard.

The 'Pixi 2' should be a candy bar with a better keyboard.

The '???' should be a slab phone with an XL screen & no keyboard.
    Assuming that Palm only has the resources for one new device this year, I think they need to go for an updated vertical slider, with higher end hardware, bigger screen and bigger keyboard.

If they were to go with a second new device, I think they should give in and go with a slab. It'll likely sell better than an updated Pixi, and a landscape slider will compete for the "need a real KB" customers and hurt the Pre.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I vote for a form factor identical to the pre but a little larger to alow for a bigger screen and keyboard. Perhaps a virtual option built into WebOS for those who like it.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Super-sized Pixi
    Vertical, because the gesture area is easy to access. If we had horizontal, we would either need 2 gesture areas, or a totally landscape webOS. I doubt palm is going to do either.
    I really like the vertical slider form factor. It is unique among smart phones. I am coming from a long line of WinMo and BB devices and the Pre form factor just feels the best.
    palm needs to stick to roots. keep the keyboards, make it phones thinner with the keyboard. on screen keyboards just makes me unsure, physical keys make it feel more absolute.

but for real..they could release a POS for all i care, just FREAKING ANNOUNCE SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Palm needs FOUR FORM FACTORS.

Portrait QWERTY, as in the Pixi
    Portrait Slider, as in the Pre
    Landscape Slider, which is my guess for the next device
    Slab w/Virtual QWERTY, because people want them.

The Pre should not be put on steroids. The Slab should have the largest screen. The Slab should be tweaked for media and entertainment. The Landscape and Portrait Sliders should be geared for productivity and have matching internals. The Landscape Slider may have a larger battery.

There is actually room for two devices within the Portrait QWERTY category. Palm could make a Pro-like model for power users geared towards productivity, while the Pixi is for texters and social-network butterflies.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Palm needs FOUR FORM FACTORS.

Portrait QWERTY, as in the Pixi
    Portrait Slider, as in the Pre
    Landscape Slider, which is my guess for the next device
    Slab w/Virtual QWERTY, because people want them.

The Pre should not be put on steroids. The Slab should have the largest screen. The Slab should be tweaked for media and entertainment. The Landscape and Portrait Sliders should be geared for productivity and have matching internals. The Landscape Slider may have a larger battery.

There is actually room for two devices within the Portrait QWERTY category. Palm could make a Pro-like model for power users geared towards productivity, while the Pixi is for texters and social-network butterflies.
    I agree with everything you say, but don't see Plan going the horizontal slider route. Most of the WebOS apps really don't work in a horizontal orientation.
    I really want two form factors: Vertical Slider, like the Pre. And a slab device.

But heres what both of them need. Better build materials. No cheap, shiny, plastic. Same internals (CPU GPU RAM). Better battery life. Actually if you can bump the RAM past 512mb do it. At least a 3.5 inch screen, at 400x800 resolution. A on screen keyboard that is as good as the iPhone or better.

Here's what the slab needs: Huge screen. Needs to be pretty thin(but not to thin, maybe iPhone size). A lock switch like the one on the pixi(Not important, but thats what i like). A "bring up the virtual keyboard" button or input method, seeing as there is no way to do a universal search with out a keyboard.

Heres what webOS needs: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it more customizable. I can't stand looking at that darn blank home screen. Just do something Palm, its sooo boring.
    I love the design of the Pre. Sure, the build quality could be better, but that doesn't mean the design is bad. Vertical Slider for easy one handed use, and screen that is plenty big enough. Bigger screen = bigger phone, and I love the small size of the Pre.
    A brick.

They should name it the Palm Brick 1000. made out of.....brick.

the box it is packaged in should be.......

Brick.

its weight should be equivalent to that of a.......

brick....

would be cheap and very hard to break or create the oreo effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post
    I love the design of the Pre. Sure, the build quality could be better, but that doesn't mean the design is bad. Vertical Slider for easy one handed use, and screen that is plenty big enough. Bigger screen = bigger phone, and I love the small size of the Pre.
    I agree with this. I don't want a bigger phone or a slab phone. I realize others do, but I will stick with my Sprint Pre if the form factor is changed drastically. It's the right size for my needs (again, just my preference, I know it's not everyone's).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I agree with everything you say, but don't see Plan going the horizontal slider route. Most of the WebOS apps really don't work in a horizontal orientation.
    Portrait text entry could be handled by a virtual keyboard, which would be needed for the slab device anyway.

I, myself, would never consider a landscape keyboard. I need portrait for one-handed typing. Likewise, I would never consider a device that relies on a virtual keyboard. However, many, many people have been clamoring for both and so I say give it to them.
    just make the pixi a little bit wider and cut the gesture space in half (vertically) to make the screen larger and allow for better guts (snapdragon at least). Add a call and end button to the sides of the gesture area and call it a day.

Thinness is most important size factor for me(and having a portrait keyboard), so the pixi profile is perfect just needs to be stretched a little because the screen is microscopic.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast