View Poll Results: What form factor would you like to see on the next Palm device?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vertical

    78 68.42%
  • Horizontal

    11 9.65%
  • Virtual

    23 20.18%
  • other (please explain)

    2 1.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. derrythe's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #21  
    Honestly, I like the vertical keyboard slider or no, but they have a lot of the existing models to sell through. If they come out with something similar to the Pre or Pixi only better their new phone will cannibalize their older model sales. I think they need to have a slab/virtual keyboard, or a landscape slider. It wouldn't hurt them too much to develop a virtual keyboard for webos in general and throw it on all the devices, choice is good.
  2. #22  
    The thing I wonder is: Palm has all these great shortcuts worked out involving tapping/holding keys while also tapping the screen. Additionally, there are shortcuts involving holding 2-3 keys at once. What happens to this functionality when we lose the physical keyboard? What happens to these (very useful) shortcuts? A good example of a great shortcut that wouldn't be possible is the one that allows you to access USB mode when the screen freezes.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
  3. Raymondd's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Super-sized Pixi
    i think the size of the pixi is what attracts a lot of people to it so i think palm should keep the next version similar to what it is now.


    and i think the pre could be a really great phone if they just improved the keyboard. thats the only complaint my friends have about it!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by glassadam View Post
    The thing I wonder is: Palm has all these great shortcuts worked out involving tapping/holding keys while also tapping the screen. Additionally, there are shortcuts involving holding 2-3 keys at once. What happens to this functionality when we lose the physical keyboard? What happens to these (very useful) shortcuts? A good example of a great shortcut that wouldn't be possible is the one that allows you to access USB mode when the screen freezes.
    TREMENDOUS POINT!!! I never considered this. Wow.

    To add to the things they would no longer be able to do: take a screen shot, save/share an image, open link in a new card, select text on a web page...

    Just thinking, but some of that might be mitigated by holding the Gesture Area and swiping on the screen.

    Still, the form factor would sell like hot cakes, so it's a problem worth solving.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    TREMENDOUS POINT!!! I never considered this. Wow.

    To add to the things they would no longer be able to do: take a screen shot, save/share an image, open link in a new card, select text on a web page...
    They could do all that now... and actually, I think that save/sharing an image & opening a link in a new card have already been planned to be implemented.

    Some things like Device Reset, Screenshots, & USB Mode would no doubt be harder. Also, the forward slash and tab keys are much easier when using Terminal, SSH, etc. with a physical keyboard. These become much easier to implement when you have a 4+" screen, but I think I'll always prefer a physical keyboard for shell access.

    That said... I'd still love a 4.3" slab with webOS. Take the guts out the Pre, drop them inside the EVO. No need to add WiMax. Heat will dissipate much better with this more durable, metal case... that you can OC to 800 MHz as stock!!! No need to replace components other than screen and case. That's it! People would freak out and act like they've never seen webOS & its gesture area before (mostly because they haven't).

    I'd take the slab, because I'd hope the Palm guys would be smart enough to put a utility button underneath the volume rocker. Hold it while flipping the rocker switch back and forth 2 times = USB Mode. Hold VOL UP while flipping the rocker switch back and forth 2 times = Device Reset. Etcetera. Hold VOL UP, VOL DOWN, & Utility button = Screenshot.

    You can do a lot with just a few buttons on the side and a ringer switch... and of course the gesture area.

    I'd just like to know how they could handle the Universal Search feature elegantly!! Do they swipe up to reveal the top half of a keyboard at the bottom of the screen that must be tapped once to focus? Guess that doesn't seem so bad, really.
  6. jc924's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I agree with this. I don't want a bigger phone or a slab phone. I realize others do, but I will stick with my Sprint Pre if the form factor is changed drastically. It's the right size for my needs (again, just my preference, I know it's not everyone's).
    +1
  7. #27  
    I like it because it still looks and feel like a phone. Those landscape sliders look funny to me.
  8. #28  
    Right...

    +2 for slab
    +1 for vertical slider
    +1 for candybar
    -1 for horizontal slider

    Palm needs to put the Pre Plus guts in those three POSITIVE form factors.
  9. miata's Avatar
    Posts
    509 Posts
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondd View Post
    i think the size of the pixi is what attracts a lot of people to it so i think palm should keep the next version similar to what it is now.


    and i think the pre could be a really great phone if they just improved the keyboard. thats the only complaint my friends have about it!
    The Pixi is nice, and I agree Palm should keep it. But, if they want to penetrate the business market where they were previously successful with the Treo, they need a more size optimized phone along the lines of the Blackberries.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions