-Pico Projector inbuilt
    -12 MPX autofocus schenider with dual xenon flash
    -1080p native video recording
    -Full Carbon Fibre Body
    -Ultra Hard Scratch Resistant Glass Screen
    -Superior build quality
    -Noise cancelling mic/earpiece with HD CrystalTalk Clarity
    -DVB HD inbuilt TV Tuner

Powered by a 4000 mAh Battery(Using nano 'lithium' technology) with a full solar panel back and 87% Solar conversion efficiency (a world first!)
    I like the way you think kind sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    OLEDs are hard to see in sunlight, but LCDs aren't exactly great at it either. If it is between terrible vs. bad, I don't really care, give me the OLED. Samsung has something they are calling "Super OLED" panels that apparently are on par with, or better than, LCDs in sunlight. Regardless, Palm needs to deliver a 480x800 resolution phone, or they deserve to go out of business.

Also, I am game for a keyboard-less WebOS device, but there are some caveats. One, they need to have a fast, responsive virtual keyboard. Apple's is masterful, but all the Android ones I have used are god awful, slow and inaccurate. If you want to read why, here is a good article which hopefully points Palm in the right direction. The other thing is that I need the notification space to move to the top of the phone. It simply won't work elegantly when you are typing on a virtual keyboard that is on the bottom of the screen and then get a notification. Either that notification has to go behind the virtual keyboard, which defeats its purpose and design, or it will bump up the keyboard while you are typing, either of which won't work.
    I work outside a lot and the screen on my Pre is very easy to read in direct sunlight...
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I work outside a lot and the screen on my Pre is very easy to read in direct sunlight...
    I do hope OLED screen quality is improved significantly in the future - but I'm sure it will be! Look how far LCD's have come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    These specs

Palm Treo Pro Codenamed Palm C40;

Debut's with Palm webOS 2.0

-4G WiMAX Radio
    -4" 480 x 854 AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen
    -Qualcomm Dual Core 1.5GHZ Snapdragon
    -nvidia Tegra 2 Chipset
    -64GB Ultra Fast Flash Memory
    -1GB internal Ram/Rom
    -Micro USB 3.0
    -Full Portrait QWERTY
    -1080p HDMI out
    -Dual HD Dollby MicroSpeakers
    -Pico Projector inbuilt
    -12 MPX autofocus schenider with dual xenon flash
    -1080p native video recording
    -Full Carbon Fibre Body
    -Ultra Hard Scratch Resistant Glass Screen
    -Superior build quality
    -Noise cancelling mic/earpiece with HD CrystalTalk Clarity
    -DVB HD inbuilt TV Tuner

Powered by a 4000 mAh Battery(Using nano 'lithium' technology) with a full solar panel back and 87% Solar conversion efficiency (a world first!)
    Some good specs except I don't see the point of the TV tuner or 1080p hdmi out. If that interests someone they're better of with one of these: WDTV or a Popcorn Hour
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    there's going to be a popcorn machine in the C40? :-)
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I would not only buy that, I'd sign a 3 year contract and pay $400 as upgrade price. I'd camp out 4 weeks in advance for it.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    Now, what I'd love to see is something to give an idea of scale. This is a beautiful mockup and I like what I see here, but how big would this thing need to be? How big would it have to be to have a 3.7" screen instead? More reasonable?

I hope Palm is following this thread.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I'm sold! When can we pick them up?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I love the slightly more angular look with it still being tapered. Very classy! We beg of you palm! release this for a reasonable price on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and we will all be happier.

Throw in mobile hotspot free for 6 months on Verizon with price tag at $149
    Wimax on Sprint with price tag at $129 to introduce Wimax to user base
    and a slightly cheaper price on AT&T $119 to compete with iPhone a bit

And please have some good ads.
    Your mockup looks great, though I can't imagine how the slider would work (and the back would be able to house a battery. I like how it resembles the existing Pre somewhat but is more rectangular. Good job!

That said, your specs and Shadow-360's mirror my wish-list for next gen device.

I picture a larger device being released that would either replace the Pre or be positioned as a more expensive device in addition to the existing Pre (maybe not quite as large as the Compal Tabasco prototype that was running around in Nov/Dec 2008 that clearly has Palm written all over it)

Here are my desired specs:
    -Use a higher-res OLED screen (same size as Motorola Droid - WVGA),
    -Upgrade the CPU to a dual-core latest gen OMAP or Qualcomm processor,
    -Bump up the memory (512MB or 1GB) and storage (32 GB and/or add micro-SDHC/XC),
    -Add an HDMI micro port,
    -Add a higher-res camera (5-7 megapixel)
    -Spend some more money on higher quality on/off/volume switch (think Treo Pro instead of Pre - this would deflate the "cheap/toy" negativity),
    -Add WiMax, add free tethering/hotspot capability on WiMax (if it is on Sprint),
    -Add WebOS 2.0 AND...

You could also have a separate version without a slide-out keyboard (pure slate form factor) that would be thinner for folks who want that. With a big screen like this, gamers would be in paradise and business and prosumer users would appreciate the extra pixels as well.

One can only hope something is coming soon. Palm badly needs to recapture some mindshare on the hardware front!
    First off I Love the webOS it is amazing great job palm . but here is what i would consider my dream device .keep everything from the original Pre just add these things .I'm sure i will forget somethings but here I go

A large 4.3inch screen candy bar style maybe even larger like the Dell "Streak" 5 inch. Also i dont need a keyboard I like touch screen .make it sexy with a brushed steel look or a cool changeable casing.I want a phone that feels like a man phone, heavy and solid . not the feminine style of the pre or pixi .

kickstand to watch video on table or night stand

Camera with Flash
    5 megapixels or more
    Autofocus
    2X digital zoom
    LED flash

Expandable Memory
    512 MB Flash
    512 MB RAM
    4 GB Micro SD Card (Expandable to 32 GB)

Accelerometer that is very sensitive

Battery
    2600mAh or more

built-in mic/voice control
    so i can make voice memos or dial by voice also so i can just talk to navigation like on the Samsung "Instinct"
    Second microphone for active noise cancellation

Proximity sensor

Light sensor

WIMAX

divx player would be great

not sure if this is possible but can you make a website/cloud that i can manage all my phones files contacts ect.

o and Flash i have been teased with flash for way to long now . Make it happen

build a great phone/device that will have a real life cycle . I will pay real money for a great phone I'm not cheap I'm not saying do all this and sell it to me for $99.99 . I'm considering the Dell Streak and they are saying it might cost over $1000.00 I would pay that for a great device. but I'm also a huge Sprint fan they have always been good to me and i save tons of money on my everything unlimited plan.

As for the Apps if you build a great device I believe the developers will come . let it be open to all and don't limit or restrict any apps . let people do what they want
    I was just experimenting with some wishful thinking when I thought of all the talk of Palm needing to push out a new device that was absolutely stunning in order to survive the smartphone world, besides surviving in general.

Almost everyone who wants a killer new device seem to have unrealistic desires, so here are my ideas.

Keep the Pixi formfactor - I love my Palm Pre, but I hate the 'Oreo' slider. The Pixi's formfactor is just.... perfect. But....

Make it a landscape keyboard - swap out the current slider for a side sliding keyboard, and keep the gummy buttons (which have been a Palm trademark for a while now) and it would help those with fatter fingers (no offense). This keeps the screen landscape open, allowing for....

Enlarge the screen - By going to a landscape sliding physical keyboard, they would have effectively given themselves enough room to possibly open the screen size to say, 3.7", without making the phone itself, much larger beyond a millimeter or two (and hopefully not at all, so current pixi backplates would be compatible). I hate the bulky iPhone and Droid, and the Pixi size and shape, aside from it's horrible name, seems much more cross gender friendly.

Throw in a Snapdragon - ...or whatever else comes out that can pump out 1ghz without breaking a sweat. I've got my Pre overclocked at 800mhz right now and it's freakin amazing! Lag is nearly GONE. Programs load up FAST.

4g - sorry, but if you're gonna stay ahead of the times, this is just a must. Whether it be a GSM or CDMA phone, it has to be 4g ready. Besides, who knows when Palm will be able to make another phone after this.

Improve the camera - Only one feature is truely needed and that's autofocus. I could ask for more with this, but I'm being a realist here.

Blow us away with some unique combinations of Touchstone accessories - Come on Palm! I realize that nothing has been developed because there's no money to truely push into the R&D of accessories, but at least ONE other Touchstone accessory would have been nice (car adapter, anyone?).

I really can't think of anything else I could want. I love my Pre and right now I wouldn't trade it for any phone out there. If improvements are to be made, then I think these would be financially sound, aside from cost effective, while still managing to 'wow' phone adoptors around the globe. I think Palm initially missed the boat by not putting wifi in the Pixi, and the only reason the Verizon version doesn't sell is because it can't do the 3D stuff that the Pre can do. Candybar formfactors sell, and with an OS as amazing as WebOS, I think this would do just fine.

What do you think?
    The only drawback *I* see personally is that it's larger. Yes I know everyone else wants bigger but that's opinions What are the advantages of the OLED? If you thickened it a bit could you create a battery that spanned the entire back a little and had greater capacity?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Why does everyone want to carry a brick in their pants or shirt pocket? I don't get this "big is better" band wagon. I don't mind a slightly larger screen but I need to carry this thing around with me all day, every day. I love the Pre's form factor. The only thing I really want (or need) is a faster processor. Although I would love a larger screen at times, those "times" are few and far between. Most of the time, I am merely carrying the Pre around in my pocket until I need to use it for communication or I have it holstered in my car listening to podcasts, music or talking on the phone.

Having said that, I would upgrade to the OP's version of the Pre in a second for the processing speed alone.

In this regard, I agree entirely with copasetic, the only drawback is that it is "bigger". Yes....that is a drawback not a plus IMHO.
    This might seem like a silly question but where is the earpiece? I don't see any place in that mock-up that leaves room for an earpiece to listen to people when you get an incoming call. The top of the screen is too close to the top edge of the phone to accommodate the speaker.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Ill take 2 please hehe
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVogt View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I actually haven't used a Pixi keyboard, though I have read that it is quite a bit more "clicky". That sounds great to me. Perhaps I will work up another mockup.

I actually made the bezel as small as possible, because I personally hate them! People want a large screen in a small phone. The only way to achieve this is by making a thin bezel.
    great job i love it.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Small thing: Include a rubber cover for the Micro USB slot.
    imho is easy to join on the great hardware parts thus the point is to have software useful to give consumer not only what the competence have but something new. Palm should concetrate its effort upgradring the os at least until june.
    []
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    These specs

Palm Treo Pro Codenamed Palm C40;

Debut's with Palm webOS 2.0

-4G WiMAX Radio
    -4" 480 x 854 AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen
    -Qualcomm Dual Core 1.5GHZ Snapdragon
    -nvidia Tegra 2 Chipset
    -64GB Ultra Fast Flash Memory
    -1GB internal Ram/Rom
    -Micro USB 3.0