Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    I'm not sure how the RIMs do it, but the i705 does not have 'true' always-on e-mail. From what I have read, the server sends a SMS message to the i705 telling the person to check their mail.

Could the Treo somehow do something similar is what I'm wondering...
    Well, I'm not sure what "true" always-on e-mail is, but the actual e-mail messages show up on the i705 without any intervention from the user. They're just there when you go to the MultiMail app (you also get a Palm OS alert when a message arrives).

Note that this is only true for the Palm.com account. You have to check POP accounts yourself. But you can forward e-mail to the Palm.com account, or you can set up the Palm.com account to collect your POP mail, in which case the messages are pushed to the device. It's very slick - as long as you have signal.

Jennifer
    Originally posted by rosswords
    I'm still confused.

CDMA 1X will be "nearly always-on" (the phrase is Mossberg's), and will probably be available this summer.

What does "nearly always-on" mean? Can anyone explain how it will actually work?

And how will TreoMail work when GPRS arrives? Right now, you need to place a call to check your mail. Will it send you the actual e-mail? Will it send you an SMS to check your e-mail?

Always-on e-mail + cellphone + Palm OS + color = definitely the formula for a killer app product. I just want to make sure I pick the Treo 270 that will get me there.
    1X CDMA requires a user initiated connection, somewhat like dialup, to have access to Internet / network / data. This is commonly called QNC or Quick Network Connect.

1X EV will truly be always on, allowing timed polls of the mail server without need for the user to use QNC.

Treo Mail will likely work seamlessly (and appear as always on) either way - I'm sure that Handspring will create a utility to manage the QNC connection.

GPRS will be similar 1X EV, a persistent connection without the need of QNC.
    So from a functionality point of view, they'll be pretty similar:

Both will be functionally always-on (advantage: GPRS).

Both will have speeds in the 14.4 - 33 range (advantage: CDMA).

Both will probably be available in a matter of months (advantage: CDMA).

Both will be hampered by the problematic coverage of their telecom companies (advantage: Sprint over Voicestream/Cingular, I think).

Pending further details of the Sprint offering, it sounds like it's worth waiting for the CDMA version of the 270. (Sigh. I've waited long enough already.)

Anyone disagree with this logic? Can you give me a good reason to follow my heart and buy the GSM Treo 270 now?
    I only know about Handspring.

Yardie, I don't know where you got that chip on your shoulder like you know everything.

We don't have GPRS today. We don't have it tommorrow. Customer Service reps can't tell you when it's coming.

They promised it, but pushed it back. Internally, hopefully for late fall. Realisitically? Jan 2003

It's coming. Just hold on.
    Originally posted by rosswords
    Anyone disagree with this logic? Can you give me a good reason to follow my heart and buy the GSM Treo 270 now?
    The logic I used to buy my Treo 180 in early March is that once you get it you are economically locked in for at least a year, and psychologically for maybe longer than that. I wanted to get the clock rolling ASAP to ride out these initial periods with something "pretty darned good" so that next year I won't feel guilty about jumping to the latest and greatest. Hopefully that will be the wonderful
    Treo 360 , or maybe a competitor if Handspring stagnates.
    You've still offered no proof to back your assertions, or any background information about yourself at all to make you appear even the least bit credible about anything. just yammering "january 2003" over and over on the boards with no basis or exposition qualifies as trolling.

Originally posted by TreoGirl
    I only know about Handspring.

Yardie, I don't know where you got that chip on your shoulder like you know everything.

We don't have GPRS today. We don't have it tommorrow. Customer Service reps can't tell you when it's coming.

They promised it, but pushed it back. Internally, hopefully for late fall. Realisitically? Jan 2003

It's coming. Just hold on.
    Did I read on one of these boards that the CDMA version will be 1" thick? That would be a good reason to buy the GSM Treo (along with the SIM card, which lets me use a tiny phone when I don't want to lug my Visorphone around).
    HyperEnough,

Do you notice that this is the ONLY topic that TreoGirl posts on? Compare her writing style to HotVisorbabe a few months back and you see will see that she is from Innogear. I think Innogear is miffed because it got left in the dust.

Originally posted by hyperenough
    You've still offered no proof to back your assertions, or any background information about yourself at all to make you appear even the least bit credible about anything. just yammering "january 2003" over and over on the boards with no basis or exposition qualifies as trolling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123