Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,
    I was reading PreCentral today and saw this story about Palm cooking up a new webOS device. It got me thinking... what would my dream webOS device be? I'm less than a month away from buying my Pre Plus (Verizon contract crap is keeping me from getting it right now... but i'm itching to buy it) and it's awesome, but it's not the ideal webOS device. There's also the Pixi Plus, which is nice, but not for me. I love the keyboard on it, but the screen is too small for me. Plus, it can only have about 3 or 4 cards open... I want the 512 MB of RAM the Pre+ has!

So, anyway, here's my ideal webOS device:

First and foremost, it's gotta have a keyboard. I just don't like virtual keyboards. I've had 3 iPod Touches (the first one i broke, i bought a second one and it a defective home button and apple gave me a replacement, which is my third... which i will return as it has the same problem...) and have had about a year and a half of daily use of it's virtual keyboard. I've concluded that it's fine for light things, like typing passwords, entering forms, and a quick google search, but once I started using IM on it... no no no. It's hell. Trying to type fast, type a large amount of text, especially in a short period of time, is just painful. Plus, it really wastes screen space. It takes up half the screen! I've used the Pre+'s keyboard, and while it's not perfect, I could certainly get used to it. Also, they keyboard has to be portrait. i hate landscape keyboards! I have to turn the phone, let it reorient, pull out the keyboard... big mess. Don't like it. So I want a keyboard that's better than the Pixi's keyboard (which, for those of you who haven't both, is considerably better than the Pre's) but not so big as too give us a (shudders) BlackBerry-like wide formfactor that makes talking into it like holding a waffle to your head.

Second, it should have a bigger screen. than the Pre. I'd say somewhere between the Nexus One and iPhone. But definitely bigger than the Pre's. I've never used an OLED screen, but it might be nice from what I've heard. And maybe make the screen glass. It just feels better. But, on the other hand, it's a lot more breakable (as someone who has cracked an iPod Touch screen, I'd know ) so I'm on the fence.

I'd also like a faster processor. The SnapDragon would be amazing. Please Palm, pretty please?

And, of course, a much better battery. Double the battery life, even if it means double the size of the battery. They could do that if they have a bigger screen, and thus a bigger case. But keep it removable. I like that.

A less flimsy microUSB door. i know, Palm wants to sell touchstones, but come on, it feels cheap. This has always been a sticky thing for me, I'm really OCD about this- I actually sliced off the proprietary port door on my current dumbphone.

A microSD card slot would be awesome. I could see them taking the Nexus One approach and replacing the 16 gig SSD in it with a microSD card (but keep it at 16 gigs unlike the nexus one's measly 4 gb stock card) so that geeks like us could upgrade to a 32 gig microSD card. Or just regular SD. I think that's less expensive.

Also, i'd like the 512 MB of RAM that the Pre+ has. Up to 50 apps at once= geek heaven.

A slider form-factor. The candybar is nice, but it takes away screen space. But Palm has to make sure we don't get the dreaded oreo effect or other slider defects.

Oh, it has to be on Verizon, at the very least. Verizon is starting to give them considerable advertising, and we don't want to mess that up. Plus, Palm's already annoyedd of Sprint users, and they can't anger another group. Also, I'm on Verizon, and this is my dream phone. But it would be nice if you could get it on Sprint too. Try to rectify the bad feelings from the Pre+'s Verizon exclusivity. Maybe have AT&T instead of Sprint as carrier #2. If you can have one more, why not T-Mobile? At least their customer base is growing, unlike Sprint's.

So, that's my dream webOS device. What about everyone else? I'm interested to find out
    Last edited by Seb_or_Sam; 02/27/2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: removed some language that was blanked out
    From my experience with what I've seen from palm, they have a pretty good relationship with sprint...

I don't think it was the consumers fault of the pres selling bad on sprint, but more of the freakish girl commercials that said literally nothing about the phone other then "linked contacts" which i'm sure 90% of people don't understand.

Either provider sprint or verizon I think the next palm should sell well as it has a history and around 1600 apps excluding homebrews.

But my dream web os device would be

3.5-3.7 screen
    1800 mah battery
    snap dragon processor
    any kind of sd card slot
    16-32 gb of memory (even though 8 is proving to be more then enough)
    Somehow even though its impossible put bbm on the phone and chat with blackberry users or better yet create ppm (Palm (Pixi, Pre) Messenger)
    but most important of all I would like it to have good hardware especially on release date because i'm usually one of the first to get the phone
    Last edited by jpdaballa; 02/28/2010 at 12:02 AM.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    My dream webOS device is quite simple: take the Nexus One's design + specs - the scroll ball (I absolutely loathe them) and put webOS 2.0 (I know they're working on it).
    I'd take a horizontal slider, 3.7 AMOLED Screen, Snapdragon, MicroSD, and 512Mb Ram without hesitation.
    if I'm not mistaken the first nfs video was up and running on the pre in october, and who knows maybe even before that

then it took about 2ish months later to actually release it on the pre when everyone doubted it was possible

imagine what they are working on now as we speak!
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Mine is a bigger Pixi with a Pre Plus spec list. Think slimmer, sexier, webOS, blackberry bold.-bodied, Palm phone.
    Are you all nuts, wanting the Snapdragon in a dream device? Let's dream a little bigger than that, and get newer Cortex A9 CPU, whether it's in the OMAP4, or Tegra2.

Snapdragon is just a revised version of the Cortex A8 CPU. The A9 is a dual-core variant (also being used in the iPad, for the record).

And yeah, I'd prefer a battery at least 1.5x-2x the size of the current one. And 512MB RAM is a must, and yeah, I'd want at least 32GB of storage space.

As people saying it needs a bigger screen, I disagree, personally. The Pre right now is the perfect size, as far as I'm concerned. It fits perfectly in the hand, or in the pocket, and if it was the choice of something this size, or iPhone sized, I'd take the Pre's size any day. And I mean, people already complain about not being able to reach the top of the screen with the keyboard open (when using the device one-handed). Any bigger and it'd be pretty much impossible.

Now of course, the other part of the size thing is that the hardware I mentioned above could probably not fit into a device the size of the Pre (especially the battery), so if the tradeoff was size, I'd take it. But in a perfect world, I'd prefer it to stay the same size as the Pre.

Edit: As it turns out, the iPad doesn't actually have the Cortex A9 as previously thought: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/02...pads-brain.ars
    Last edited by jhoff80; 03/01/2010 at 08:19 PM.
    I'm with you keep the pre's size just make the screen bigger since we no longer need the center button I say start the screen from the bottom of the ear piece & take it to the gesture area I think that would be perfect
    I would not have a problem with making the next Palm platform a little larger if it would mean a bigger screen with a larger battery. I agree with jhoff80, it would be nice if the next Palm device had the Cortex A9 CPU processor. Also, definitely needs a real portrait style keyboard with a VK for landscape mode. Since 4G is coming, it needs to be able to recieve the new format.
    think you're kidding yourself thinking you don't need the center button. Well maybe not the button, but you need a trackpad. Bottom line with ANY capacitive touch screen is the OS is not desigined around selecting text and navigating within text boxes at all. It's the one area where conductive touch screens were far superior. Use any slider phone with android that has the 4 cursor keys and you'll find navigation and selection is easy as pie. Editing text, navigating within a text box are a dream compared to the Pre/Pixi, iphone, Hero/Eris and Nexus1. It's not even a comparison. The whole enlarge to navigate and select is tired and cumbersome. Holding down the option key and using the trackpad to select would be a dream.

If Palm really wants a winner do something the other companies are not. None of companies are doing qwerty thumb board phones on capacative screens. The Pixi is unique. BB's are the last of the breed. I'm discounting winmob here because it's a lame duck OS like PalmOS now and Win7 has plans for a qwerty thumb board, so they said, but not initially.

Focus on the Pixi design. Make it a couple millimeters wider, move the keyboard lower and increase the spacing of the keys based on the phone width. Take the gesture area and embed a track pad in the center with sliver of a silver bezel for differentiation. Still leaves plenty of room for a larger 16x9 480p screen with minimal bezel. Yes palm, lose the love of bezels already. It is extremely old and tired. Actually, it was old and tired when the Treo Pro came out.

Throw in 16gb of RAM and a (keyword here) microSD slot with a Tegra APX2600 processor and we're talking winner.

I think a 5mp autofocus phone with led flash will be enough to make the camera junkies happy provided it has decent optics.

With a slightly larger footprint they should be able to get closer to a 2000mAh battery inside as well.

That would be my recipe for success. Debut it with webOS 2.x so it's as polished and feature filled as possible and you'll entice the largest amount of users. Business users will take a closer look. The text/email crowd (not always the same as business) will love the always there keyboard and be happier with the larger screen. I think the Pre lovers will be split on it, but with the gorgeous screen, solid build quality and superb keyboard, I think they'd come over kicking and screaming initially and warm up to it quickly when they realize how much they missed the form factor.

And my personal beef....hard keyed send/end buttons, please. I'd like to disable the ability to place or end a call on the touch screen. Would virtually eliminate mistake dialing and such. I know a few people with those problems no matter how many times I tell them to hit the power button and blank out the screen. Plus hitting the send key from home could bring up the dialer and leave you another opening on the home launcher. Pressing the end key and swiping up would be more natural than hitting the power button at the top and swiping (at least on the Pixi).
    Last edited by crogs571; 02/28/2010 at 09:36 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I love the Pixi's keyboard as it is. I would just make the touch screen bigger, but make the phone wider, and try not to make it too much thicker. Maybe 16 GB of internal memory (doesn't matter much to me) and just a better camera. And a better processor that can handle 3D gaming. So I guess Pre insides on a bigger Pixi.
    HAVE
    Pre form factor.

NEED
    Smooth as Silk UI.
    Beefed up specs (processor, RAM, storage, etc).
    Solid Build Quality

WANT
    Power-user battery.
    MicroSD.
    Close up/macro camera.

WOULDN'T MIND
    AMOLED Screen.
    Gorilla Glass Screen.
    Auto focus camera.
    Compass (w/Touchtone work araound).
    Last edited by Colonel Kernel; 03/01/2010 at 08:48 PM.
    as far as the 4way cursor, yes I miss it. Do I need it? No.....but if palm was to add one, I would want it on the back of the phone.

I think it needs a slightly larger screen. And like the idea of it being from the speaker to a smaller gesture are keeping close to current dimensions.

if it was a little bit thicker to accomidate a larger battery and cooling for a new a9 very cool, when the slider is open it feels too thin. There is a limit in my opinion.

it would be sweet if we got the mandarin version with the forward facing 1.3mp camera as well as the rear with auto focus.

512mb of ram is a must, at least. 8/16gb of internal storage is perfectly fine if they add a sd card and allow loading apps to it as they are tied to the profile. (which probibly is a security reason for not having it currently)

would prefer if the keyboard is a lil wider though, treo pro was perfect size.

slider has to be built out of animantium or something,lol. I want insane build quality. I will pay for it. Does not need glass screen, they brake too easy. My pre has no scratches, and no screen protector.

I do hate the slider, but have come to accept that palm was right to do it, I can't imagine life without it. I have the pixi and it's a tank but so slow compared to the pre. (still destroys a centro) really don't think I want a full sized preo, but I would still buy one lol.

any way you look at it, palm is doing things the best they can, and I am officially a fan. As long as the devices advance as well as the os has, palm will have much better headlines in the time to come.
    "animantium" LOL

A metal alloy enabling the comedic antics of Yakko, Wakko and Dot?

I think you mean - Adamantium
    Adamantium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erikmarcus View Post
    Mine is a bigger Pixi with a Pre Plus spec list. Think slimmer, sexier, webOS, blackberry bold.-bodied, Palm phone.
    Ditto.

Maybe throw in a really good 3-4 Mpixel camera on top of that that also does 16x9 widescreen video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    "animantium" LOL

A metal alloy enabling the comedic antics of Yakko, Wakko and Dot?

I think you mean - Adamantium
    [url= - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
    yeah I spell fenetically lol
    I love this forum! everyone has a sense of humor! lol

I'm sure palm will not disapoint.
    I actually expect 2 new handsets by years end from palm.
    If they can make a keyboard with clicky keys like the BlackBerry Curve or the Treo 680. I mean the TX buttons were OK, if not a bit flimsy.

And just came across the mind, what if when the device is held horizontally, and the left side is also a gesture area? Not sure what can it be used for though...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Have you used a Pixi? Like it better than the newest Curve or Tour without a doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If they can make a keyboard with clicky keys like the BlackBerry Curve or the Treo 680. I mean the TX buttons were OK, if not a bit flimsy.
    Palm's bezel fetish is bad enough as it is. Trying to fit the largest screen possible in a minimal space with a second gesture screen and the earpiece wouldn't seem like an efficient use of space IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    And just came across the mind, what if when the device is held horizontally, and the left side is also a gesture area? Not sure what can it be used for though...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Have you used a Pixi? Like it better than the newest Curve or Tour without a doubt.

Palm's bezel fetish is bad enough as it is. Trying to fit the largest screen possible in a minimal space with a second gesture screen and the earpiece wouldn't seem like an efficient use of space IMHO.
    We don't have the Pixi in Canada...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    mhhh
    same form of the Pre.
    a little bigger screen with super amoled from samsung.
    Slider keyboard is ok, but i want a solid contruction process and TESTING!!! (slider first)
    1500 or 1800 battery.
    32 Gb plus micro Sd card up to 32 Gb
    same ball as the Pre 1 in the gesture area.
    the gesture area must be there!
    glorious 1 Ghz dual core processor with graphical processor.
    512Mb or 1 Gb of ram onboard with the possibility to swap in the Sd card if the system is fully occupied.
    multitasking is already glorious!!!!!

but no more hardware made of *****n paper!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast