1.    #1  
    Has anyone had a problem with the Treo freezing when it receives an SMS? A few times that I've received an SMS, the phone vibrates and then plays a high pitched tone. The only way to stop it is to soft reset it. After I resetted it, the next SMS came in fine. I can't duplicate it, so I don't know if it is a hack or something else installed on my Treo.
    Originally posted by sgruby
    Has anyone had a problem with the Treo freezing when it receives an SMS? A few times that I've received an SMS, the phone vibrates and then plays a high pitched tone. The only way to stop it is to soft reset it. After I resetted it, the next SMS came in fine. I can't duplicate it, so I don't know if it is a hack or something else installed on my Treo.
    I had this a few weeks ago. It would stop whenever I disabled glowhack OR uninstalled the SimpleSMS app from handspring's developer's site. Either was fine on its own but not both. Couldn't really figure out why but I just dropped SimpleSMS and it's been fine since.

If you don't have both installed, try disable hacks one by one; or in the worse case, backup everything and install them back one by one testing all the way.

.sha
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by shahada

I had this a few weeks ago. It would stop whenever I disabled glowhack OR uninstalled the SimpleSMS app from handspring's developer's site. Either was fine on its own but not both. Couldn't really figure out why but I just dropped SimpleSMS and it's been fine since.

If you don't have both installed, try disable hacks one by one; or in the worse case, backup everything and install them back one by one testing all the way.

.sha
    Thanks for the reply; I definitely didn't have SimpleSMS installed (I had it on for testing, but removed it ages ago). I do have GlowHack, but on your advice have disabled it and so far so good. I did reinstall SimpleSMS and explicitly Un-Register it so that it would use the built in app, but the Treo froze on the next incoming message (with GlowHack still installed). So...it looks to me like GlowHack may have a problem.

I went to www.dovcom.com, the website for GlowHack and it lists GlowHack 2.0, but when I downloaded it was 1.1. I've contacted the author, and hopefully there is a newer version that fixes this.

Anyone know of an alternative to GlowHack?
  4.    #4  
    Handpsring posted a patch for continuous ring tones that possibly fixes this problem. However, it indicates that it primarily happens outside of the US. I'll install it and see what happens.

<http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...s#UP_t180crtpm>
    Happened quite a bit on my first treo180. SMS reception would hang whenever I am in SMS editing mode. After reseting, the received SMS message would only show sender's tel no. and blank message.

Replaced the treo with new one a week ago and all my problems (eg: echos, sms hangs, bad chassis quality, speakerphone screeches) went away.

So far so good and really like the phone now. BTW, I use the GSM 900/1800 treo180.
    Unfortuantely this patc can solve the problem, but its not permanently because this new GSMLIB copied to RAM and if u have a hard reset u have to install this patch again..

I think Handspring will build this patch to the new ROM updater, which will copy this new files PERMANENTLY to ROM.

Zsolt
    I get this sometimes, especially after heavy use of QuickChat
    -- Go Illini!
    My treo seems to crash when I receive some Nokia picture messages, or ringtones. Not all the time, but enough to irritate me.

I am going to try that handspring patch, and see what happens.

Update: My SMS is no longer crashing!!
    Last edited by eamler; 05/23/2002 at 12:10 AM.