1.    #1  
    I'm curious if anyone knows a way to allow a PC to check for e-mails and forward them to a TREO or VisorPhone via SMS?

I'm looking for something that can allow checking multiple e-mail accounts for new messages, if one is received then to forward it to the remote handheld.

If such a program doesn't exist, I'm thinking about writing one. If I did, is this anything anyone else here at VC might be interested in? If so, what would you like to see the app do? Is it something you'd consider purchasing, if so how much would it be worth to ya?

It would be a difficult program to write, so if there is something out there like it I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for any Input!
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    I think that this type of application is much better handled on the server. However, it requires access to the server, a server that supports it, and a little knowledge.

I've had this type of setup running on my mail server (a Linux box running sendmail) for years. If you don't run this on the server, you have to leave your desktop PC turned on all the time and you must have a constant connection to the Internet or have to have it dial up periodically. Not really an issue with cable modems, but it is still something to think about.
  3.    #3  
    I would look at this app. concept somewhat like a mail client. It sits listening for e-mails, if it finds one it downloads only the header info and forwards it via SMS to the handheld (or cellphone). It would require either a dedicated internet connection for checking the POP3 e-mail account, or a dial-up (it could auto-dial based on preset intervals).

I dunno, just thought it might be a useful application for all those TREO users out there (and would work with my VisorPhone too). I downloaded the TREO mail and it seemed pretty costly. The main thing I would be interested in is the semi real-time notification that I had messages waiting. Then I could dial-up on the Prism/VisorPhone using any e-mail client I want (Eudora, MultiMailPro, etc.) to actually download the messages/attachments.

I don't know if I like the "subscription" idea for something so basic. Nor do I like the idea of locking myself to one application for reading e-mail. There are several good ones out there that many potential TREO users may not want to abandon. For users with Cable, DSL and even dial-up connections to the internet at home/work, I would think at least one or two folks out there would like to know when they have e-mails waiting on their POP3 accounts via an SMS instant alert to their handheld?

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, recommendations?

TIA!
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Check out this PIC TreoMail article, not so much for the article itself as the comments following it. Among other things readers suggests approaches like using Yahoo's SMS email notification service, or push email services like Corsoft Aileron and, of course, Handspring TreoMail
    I use AT&T worldnet. When an e-mail is received it forwards a copy automatically to my SMS e-mail address. I therefore receive instant notification of the e-mail and 160 characters of the information. I then know I have mail and some content, and I choose if I want to dial up and download with one touch or not. Most of the time not as the 160 characters, subject and person provide the information I needed. - George
    Hpw hard would it be to program a mail client such as Mark/Space to automatically dial into an ISP to retrieve e-mail? This function seems like a no-brainer to me. Most reputable desktop mail clients already has this feature. If you are not connected or cannot be connected to the internet, it just gives you an error message.

Originally posted by sgruby
    I think that this type of application is much better handled on the server. However, it requires access to the server, a server that supports it, and a little knowledge.

I've had this type of setup running on my mail server (a Linux box running sendmail) for years. If you don't run this on the server, you have to leave your desktop PC turned on all the time and you must have a constant connection to the Internet or have to have it dial up periodically. Not really an issue with cable modems, but it is still something to think about.
    Originally posted by yardie
    Hpw hard would it be to program a mail client such as Mark/Space to automatically dial into an ISP to retrieve e-mail? This function seems like a no-brainer to me. Most reputable desktop mail clients already has this feature. If you are not connected or cannot be connected to the internet, it just gives you an error message.
    This is on the feature list for a future release. It makes a whole lot more sense when GPRS is available. We would have to implement the ability to set times of day that it will check and other things in order to make it complete.
    Originally posted by jonecool
    I would look at this app. concept somewhat like a mail client. It sits listening for e-mails, if it finds one it downloads only the...
    This is not difficult at all provided you have basic proficiency with some programming language that has a mail API available (perl, java, etc). You could easily run a program on your desktop at home that polls your POP3 mail server for header information, and on receiving a new one, sends the subject and sender to your SMS as another email. Do you have experience with Perl, or Java, or C, python, etc? All of these have easy SMTP/POP3 APIs I believe (I have personally built similar apps in perl and java).

It's even easier if you have access to the mail server, of course, just forward a copy of each mail you receive to the program in question.

Colin
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by coljac

This is not difficult at all provided you have basic proficiency with some programming language that has a mail API available (perl, java, etc). You could easily run a program on your desktop at home that polls your POP3 mail server for header information, and on receiving a new one, sends the subject and sender to your SMS as another email. <SNIP>
    Thanks for your reply Colin. After posting this, I decided to embark on creating such an application. I've been working late nights ever since my first post. At present, I have a working prototype and coded the POP3/SMTP connectivity using sockets. I haven't implemented MAPI, but I may try this too. It doesn't yet return all mails, just the total number waiting to be checked. I'll likely add sending the Subject line in the body of the SMS Messages this weekend. I'm having so much fun working on this app that I may wind up releasing it on PalmGear.

I may have a Beta Release available in two weeks if anyone is interested in help testing it. If not, I may just keep it for myself. It's been pretty handy today receiving VisorCentral message responses as SMS alerts on my VisorPhone.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    For managing multiple email accounts, I use a very good unified messaging service, 360link.net www.360link.net . It polls all my POP3 accounts and notifies me via pager and/or SMS. I can retrieve emails over the phone, via the web, or I can use my Treo to download all my emails once 360link has consolidated them for me. This is a subscription service that's worth the cost, IMHO.
    -Stan
    Got Darts?