Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    In 1997 Apple stock was at an all time low, about 3$. In order to raise cash and insure app support for the Mac, they cut a deal w/ MS. MS bought 150 million $ of Apple stock and promised to continue making Office versions for the Mac.
    Since then, Apple used the money to develop in new ways. Fast forward 13 years: Apple's stock is worth over 200$ (damn, I should have invested then!) and Apple is at the top of their game.
    Now how about this scenario: Palm and MS make a deal - it can be something like the previous deal, but it can be something more interesting: a takeover of Palm by MS! MS needs a new smartphone OS. Windows Mobile is going nowhere. Palm needs money and the backing of a big company. If MS can use WebOS as the basis of their new smartphone platform - it's a winner!
    What do you think, can it work?
    MS put too much money in win7 to drop it. At MWC it didnt look like it was "going nowhere". Look for Dell if anything, but honestly they seem smitten with Android.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    no way... I pick Canon or Vizio someone more limber than MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrah_il View Post
    In 1997 Apple stock was at an all time low, about 3$. In order to raise cash and insure app support for the Mac, they cut a deal w/ MS. MS bought 150 million $ of Apple stock and promised to continue making Office versions for the Mac.
    Since then, Apple used the money to develop in new ways. Fast forward 13 years: Apple's stock is worth over 200$ (damn, I should have invested then!) and Apple is at the top of their game.
    Now how about this scenario: Palm and MS make a deal - it can be something like the previous deal, but it can be something more interesting: a takeover of Palm by MS! MS needs a new smartphone OS. Windows Mobile is going nowhere. Palm needs money and the backing of a big company. If MS can use WebOS as the basis of their new smartphone platform - it's a winner!
    What do you think, can it work?
    Windows mobile is going nowhere? Do you even know that this exists?
    I just can't imagine MS buying a Linux based product (except to crush it).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    First of all, you have to admit the similarities between Apple's situation in 1997 and Palm's today are interesting. Second, many of the things that are featured in WM7 are similar to what you have in webOS (and granted, many other smartphone OSs). Third, if not MS, it could be another big company, but the same basic idea. And lastly... it WOULD be funny if MS bought Palm to have its Linux-based OS to fight MS's mortal enemy, Apple, whom it once saved from the trenches