1.    #1  
    Look what I found after entering the FCC ID of the treo over at fcc.gov..internal and external photos of both the 180 and the 270!

Ahh they're too big to attach.

Go here:
    http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
    and enter:
    o8F NYNY
    Click the Display Exhibits for NYNY2
    (Funny: the ID is NYNY, as the code name was Manhattan!)
    And grab the internal & external photos PDFs.

You can clearly see the white translucent keyboard, and the board with surface-mount LEDs that would be behind it to backlight it.

Now if only someone really cool at handspring would provide use that keyboard part for us to replace the one in our 180s!

You can also see the speed dial screen in nice color.
    you found the holy grail of the 270 - do I hear a VC story?
    I'm reading the 270 manual now - just posted last week...

Some interesting first reads:

"On color models, the backlight illuminates the keyboard and on monochrome models, the
    backlight illuminates the screen. On both models, the backlight is noticeable only in
    relatively dark environments."

"When wireless mode is on, your communicator battery provides approximately 3 hours of
    talk time or 150 hours of standby time. When wireless mode is off, the battery provides
    about 1 week of normal use in handheld mode."

The 270 will include a cable
    Last edited by terrysalmi; 05/14/2002 at 07:18 AM.
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Outstanding find! Do you ever pan for gold? ;>)
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Yes, incredible catch - sometimes the amount of information available on the web frightens me. But only sometimes.

Also note the belt clip. Does anyone know if this was but a prototype built by HS for testing purposes or if it will be made available with the 270? (Grrrrr...)
    way to go!
    I guess this answers the question if there is going to be a 270g. Didn't see one listed on the site...
    This is a sweet find! The site in it self is quite a find. If you go to the search screen and type in "smartphone" in the description or whatever, you find out all kinds of groovy info.

Way to go Jwardell, if it wern't for techno geeks like you burning countless hours on wierd sites like that...

Maybe you should become a PI

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Well, not that you all didn't guess that the secret I was holding was that it had a backlit keyboard, but now you know.
    Interestingly, the screen does not (at least on the model I played with) have a high or low setting... well, it does, but what's interesting is that when you turn it on, the backlight is on high, so that you can see it better in daylight conditions. When you double-press the power button, just like on the 180, the backlight actually DIMS and the keyboard lights up.
    This actually makes sense, though, since you'd only use it in low-light/darkness, in which a bright backlight is not needed. As such, when you turn on the keyboard lights, the screen gets dimmer. This will not only prevent eye strain in darkness, but also increase battery life by not keeping the screen bright and ADDING the power draw from the keyboard lights. It probably balances out.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything else about the 270 that everyone doesn't already know, especially now.

Ah.. I feel as though a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

not. :P
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    Ah.. I feel as though a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

not. :P
    Gaub, you crack me up! I think the great weight has been lifted off of me from trying to pry it out of you

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Originally posted by Marty1781
    I guess this answers the question if there is going to be a 270g. Didn't see one listed on the site...
    Handspring has said since the beginning there were no plans for a graffiti version of the 270 - on the FCC site, it makes no mention of a 270g, only a 180, 180g, and 270 (the manhattan, shea, and atlanta).

On the Handspring Treo website, it lists there will only be one version of the 270. (but makes no mention of the Sprint-Treo, and neither does the FCC site.)
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    FWIW:
    Just noticed that the Kyocera 6035 is no longer listed on the sprintpcs site.

Wonder what that means.

How soon will the new model be available?

More questions, etc.
    RJuhl
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    Handspring has said since the beginning there were no plans for a graffiti version of the 270 - on the FCC site, it makes no mention of a 270g, only a 180, 180g, and 270 (the manhattan, shea, and atlanta).

On the Handspring Treo website, it lists there will only be one version of the 270. (but makes no mention of the Sprint-Treo, and neither does the FCC site.)
    Really? I never remember HS stating that there would never be a 270g (not that I want one), only rumors that that was the direction they were leaning. But apparently they have confirmed this on their website...

In regards to the CDMA Treo, HS states in their FAQs that they will be releasing it this summer on Sprint's network. The CDMA Treo would not appear with the other Treos on the FCC page that lists the Treo information. It would have its own entry in the FCC database since it will be using a technology different from the other Treos. I tried searching for it but could not find it though.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for the appreciation.

I also forgot to mention there's pictures of a nice plastic holster. Maybe HS will release that after all. It's the one accessory I've been waiting for.
    Now what I want to know is how you came accross this.