Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Dear Palm,
    On behalf of all avid supporter of your products, please do us all a favor, come up with a droid/milestone like hardware. Most people find Andriod 2.1 an improvement, but it's execution continues to press fragmentations within and its OS lacks "synergy" throughout. Looking in the past, I know it's hard to stray away from conventional (cheap) hardware procurement directions, but please, with today's market place, only the unconventional survives.

Sincerely,
    Palm supporters... For now...
    Send it!
    The Droid's keyboard? Seriously?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    the droid is a brick and its keyboard sucks the only praise i can give it would be the screen but IMHO thats not worth the weight
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I think you guys get the idea, I think everyone is in favor of a WVGA resolution with a larger than 3.6 inch screen. If we are lucky, they should design a usable keyboard like the HTC touch pro (1 or 2).

It's only a matter of time, around June, when Apple kicks in a OLED screen, kept on QVGA (for app compatibility), and some other feature where they will claim it will change our lives forever.

We all know Palm can do it, at a cost of course.
    Ugh, I absolutely hate "landscape" phones. Portrait mode is so much more useful for anything other than texting. I couldn't imagine using say, epocrates, in portrait mode. The information just wouldn't be formatted correctly.

Plus having a portrait keyboard is a boon. Its great being able to look up drug information with one hand while writing it down with the other. While I would be okay with palm releasing a landscape device, I would never buy one. portrait mode is just too useful for when I need to do real work with my phone.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post
    Ugh, I absolutely hate "landscape" phones. Portrait mode is so much more useful for anything other than texting. I couldn't imagine using say, epocrates, in portrait mode. The information just wouldn't be formatted correctly.

Plus having a portrait keyboard is a boon. Its great being able to look up drug information with one hand while writing it down with the other. While I would be okay with palm releasing a landscape device, I would never buy one. portrait mode is just too useful for when I need to do real work with my phone.
    I agree the portrait keyboard is useful in some situation. For me, and other users, browsing the web in landscape mode is a dream. I was playing with N900, it was breez navigating complex sites.

Imagine for a minute, a larger screen, snapdragon innards, and the intuitive cards in WebOS. Now, do the same on the droid, you have to hit that back (home) button, and leave whatever you are doing, and go back to the copycat card screen, and hope to touch the right card, it's just frustrating.
    Last edited by nicekyo; 02/26/2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Grammar corrections.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    It looks like analysts are turning their magic 8 ball again. I have a strange feeling Palm will continue their focus on software, and continue their predictable route of keeping the same resolution (just like the iphone), and making it bigger screen, and throwing in a keyboard (50/50 chance). Even though a few of us would love have higher resolution in addition to increase screen real estate. It would be a nightmare to scale every app, and try to make it look presentable.

Just go to computer world of WSJ for those interested in the article. I need a few more posts before I can put live links.
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomelessguy View Post

I totally agree homelessguy, I prefer portrait keyboards over landscape for many reasons, but I'm not opposed to soft keyboards if done right, like the iPhones.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention the articles also indicate the possibility that the new handset will be on the WIMAX (4G) platform. I hope it's not true. I don't believe this will be easy to implement nor to support. There is also a consensus on the boygeniousreport posts that everyone loves WebOS, but Sprint's reputation and the lack of a killer hardware will lead to Palm's demise.

To put it simply: Palm lack of killer hardware + Sprint + poor marketing + lack of apps = uncertainty

I hope Palm will continue to elevate the WebOS platform with new toys.
    I may be in the minority, but I do not want a larger screen. The smaller size of the Pre vs. the Droid and even the iPhone (except for thickness) is a plus in my opinion. A larger screen means a larger phone, and for me the Pre's screen size is plenty big enough to accomplish the tasks use my phone for.

I also prefer the portrait keyboard for one handed use, but wouldn't mind a virtual keyboard in landscape.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I do not want a larger screen. The smaller size of the Pre vs. the Droid and even the iPhone (except for thickness) is a plus in my opinion. A larger screen means a larger phone, and for me the Pre's screen size is plenty big enough to accomplish the tasks use my phone for.

I also prefer the portrait keyboard for one handed use, but wouldn't mind a virtual keyboard in landscape.
    I think it's safe to say the Pre is here to stay, with the economy of scale, it will add minimal cost for palm to keep on "upgrading" some core components. I don't think you are in the minority, and I do think there is enough market share for both large and small screen size palm devices. I just don't think the Pre as a large screen device (when comparing to iphone, nexus one, and driod), and the pixi as small...
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    I forgot to mention the articles also indicate the possibility that the new handset will be on the WIMAX (4G) platform. I hope it's not true. I don't believe this will be easy to implement nor to support. There is also a consensus on the boygeniousreport posts that everyone loves WebOS, but Sprint's reputation and the lack of a killer hardware will lead to Palm's demise.

To put it simply: Palm lack of killer hardware + Sprint + poor marketing + lack of apps = uncertainty

I hope Palm will continue to elevate the WebOS platform with new toys.
    Finally, the links to the story:

Palm’s Hail Mary to be a Sprint 4G handset?
    and

A WiMax phone might help ailing Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    I think it's safe to say the Pre is here to stay, with the economy of scale, it will add minimal cost for palm to keep on "upgrading" some core components. I don't think you are in the minority, and I do think there is enough market share for both large and small screen size palm devices. I just don't think the Pre as a large screen device (when comparing to iphone, nexus one, and driod), and the pixi as small...
    I absolutely agree that Palm needs to ad more WebOS phones to their lineup, with different form factors to appeal to different audiences. I also agree that the Pre could stand to have a bit better build quality. I just wanted to chime in with my opinion that the Pre is one of the best designed (if not built) phones out there, and I'd hate to loose that design if Palm were to cave to the "bigger screen = better" trend that seems to be going on with phones right now.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf3476 View Post
    I absolutely agree that Palm needs to ad more WebOS phones to their lineup, with different form factors to appeal to different audiences. I also agree that the Pre could stand to have a bit better build quality. I just wanted to chime in with my opinion that the Pre is one of the best designed (if not built) phones out there, and I'd hate to loose that design if Palm were to cave to the "bigger screen = better" trend that seems to be going on with phones right now.
    I wish Palm does a better job outsourcing CMs to build their phones. I remember the good old Nokia E61 days, man, it was dropped, scratched, rained on, now with mold growing near the battery compartment... Aside from the cosmetic damages, you can still make phone calls, check email, heck, all the functionality are there. I also tried really hard to pull the driod apart, at a Verizon mobile display, that thing is SOLID!

haha, come on palm, stop making cheese cutters!
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I think Josh just hit it out of the ball park with his appeal:

Palm: this is your survival guide -- Engadget