1.    #1  
    I've had no success configuring One-Touch Mail, Mark/Space Mail, or Eudora to post email via my SMTP Server with Mindspring. All work well d/l mail from the Mindspring POP server.

Any tips from somebody with better luck?

It sounds like the new Treo Mail app might work, but $50/yr subscription seems a bit much.
    I've been using Corsoft's Aileron product & service for the past week and it works great. It doesn't rely on anyone else's SMTP server to send. And I have it working simultaneously with my Exchange email at work and with 3 "home" email accounts via IMAP. It does cost $50 per year. But IMHO it works better than TreoMail which I beta tested...

Paul
    Originally posted by sleepysurf
    I've had no success configuring One-Touch Mail, Mark/Space Mail, or Eudora to post email via my SMTP Server with Mindspring. All work well d/l mail from the Mindspring POP server.

Any tips from somebody with better luck?

It sounds like the new Treo Mail app might work, but $50/yr subscription seems a bit much.
    1) Are you dialing into Mindspring's dial up number? (Probably not)
    2) Does Mindspring support SMTP authentication? (Probably not)
    3) Does Mindspring allow you to check mail and then immediately send mail? If so, then Mark/Space Mail will work.

The basic problem is that I suspect you're not dialing into Mindspring's dial up number and therefore you can't use their SMTP server. Some carriers (Cingular doesn't appear to be one of them) offer their own SMTP server when you connect to the network to get around this problem. (Closing off the SMTP server to users that aren't dialed into the network prevents spammers from using them as a relay.)

Since I run my own mail server, I have setup SMTP authentication on both the server and on my mail client (Mark/Space Mail).

You may want to contact Mindspring/Earthlink to see if they have a solution. SMTP authentication is, in my opinion, the way to go.
  4.    #4  
    Actually, I AM using the Mindspring Dial-up. Have tried 3 different local numbers, also tried different server names (mail.mindspring.com, pop.mindspring.com and smtp.mindspring.com) to no avail.

I keep getting the same error... A604 Send Failed.
    Do you happen to have your mailer set to send yourself a copy of each email you send out? If so, try disabling this and then try to send out an email aqain. I had this problem with one touch and my ISP, but it's intermittent. Once I managed to sucessfully send out emails without bc ing to myself, I could then later set the mailer to send me a copy of each email, and it still works.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Treo Mail seems to work best with my MindSpring account. Multimail, MsgAgent and One Touch work, but message retrieval is very slow. I didn't care for Corsoft's Aileron. I couldn't tell if Aileron tried to retrieve messages and how long it took. Treo Mail has an excellent log.
    Originally posted by sleepysurf
    Actually, I AM using the Mindspring Dial-up. Have tried 3 different local numbers, also tried different server names (mail.mindspring.com, pop.mindspring.com and smtp.mindspring.com) to no avail.

I keep getting the same error... A604 Send Failed.
    What's the exact error code when you use Mark/Space Mail? This error code is definitely not one in Mark/Space Mail. What server name do you use for your desktop? Did you specify your Mindspring/Earthlink return address in the from field? (Some ISPs require this.)

Mark/Space Mail should be able to handle smtp.mindspring.com's responses (they have a couple extra lines in the header).

(I wrote Mark/Space Mail, so I'm very familiar with how it handles SMTP.)
    Originally posted by wshwe
    Treo Mail seems to work best with my MindSpring account. Multimail, MsgAgent and One Touch work, but message retrieval is very slow. I didn't care for Corsoft's Aileron. I couldn't tell if Aileron tried to retrieve messages and how long it took. Treo Mail has an excellent log.
    I'd recommend taking a look at Mark/Space Mail. You just pay for it once and that's it (unlike Treo Mail). For the consumer (not enterprise customer using Microsoft Outlook), I think that Mark/Space Mail offers much more than Treo Mail. Yes, I am biased, as I wrote it, but take a look for yourself and then decide.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Treo Mail has the best POP3 'push' feature outside of the Blackberry. IMHO, it's worth $50/yr. I'd consider Mark/Space Mail only if it could download messages at set intervals like Treo Mail.
    A word of warning on Treo Mail. I was beta testing it, and yes, the push feature was really great. But I had to disable it, because occassionally, the programme did NOT hang up after it finished retrieving/synchronising email. And since it automatically retrieves during set intervals, I found that I was not disconnecting from my ISP and therefore paying airtime charges for nothing. THe amount can be quite huge because if you don't notice that the connection is not terminated, then you just continue to be connected until you manually reset your Treo. It happened at 1st beta level and I stopped using it. When 2nd beta came out, I thought I would try it again, but keep my eye on it. It again happened, once. (bad enough). So I stopped again. Now that the release version is out, I'm thinking whether I should try it again.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    But I had to disable it, because occassionally, the programme did NOT hang up after it finished retrieving/synchronising email.
    I haven't had that problem with Treo Mail. Treo Mail has actually saved me online minutes vs. using MsgAgent. On a couple of occasions Treo Mail hung the Treo, necessitating a soft reset.
    tuen, are you also using Aileron? I found that if I used Aileron, then used Treo Mail, Treo Mail would not disconnect. If I did a soft reset after using Aileron, Treo Mail worked properly.