Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    all the more reason to put more of that money behind the predecessor to palm pre, this time they need to quit fudging around and get serious hardware 1.5ghz+ 1gb ram+ and better slider

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I certainly hope so, but Palm needs a win and needs one soon.
    palm made some foolish decisions in the last months, show no signs of process and still are doing wrong by not caring about the european or out-of-the-USA market.
    blackberry, HTC and even LG are doing their jobs WAY better than palm, before they can mess with apple or nokia, they should try to close the gap on them at least, but thats just impossible with only one phone available!
    Hi we all knew being the first to adopt a form of tech is never easy and it can get ugly...however, Palm needs to have many more commercials and ads and far better ones...the Pre needs to have better quality control...I am sure 1.4 will fix up the short comings in the software! so I say keep supporting Palm! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Verizon sales are bad because they are not presenting the product. From what I have heard people interested in the Pre are pushed to other products. Did Verizon decide to get the Pre so they could steal the thunder and possible subscriber losses to Sprint? Before it even launched on Sprint they were making it clear that they would have it. Did they ever intend on pushing the Palm phones?
    Here's the positive case:

Its February and cold in much of the country and the shorts and slower than expected sales ramp up are driving the stock down.

Palm still has alot of cash on hand so they can last for some time.

The new o/s with its bells and whistles should get some press and some new fans.

Palm has stepped up to spend advertising in the wake of the lackluster Verizon launch with a smart presentation (and perhaps Verizon will step up some training of reps or some co-advertising after those poor initial valentines day ads).

Sprint 4G is due out by end of June. Palm will surely be one of the phones coming out with this soon although it can't announce this now for fear of cannibalizing current sales.

So things could be very different in some months. If you believe this, then monitor the stock as it could be an opportunity to reap some monetary reward in a sluggish economy.
    Uh-oh, now Palm is confirming what the analysts have been saying the last few days: Palm sales 'lower than expected,' revenues to miss targets. I'm sure they're scrambling at Palm right now to figure out what's going wrong.
    Neglecting the AsiaPacific market is Palm's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Neglecting the AsiaPacific market is Palm's fault.
    Neglecting? Or realizing they can't do a huge launch in every country at the same time with 1000 people in their company?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post

................the shorts and slower than expected sales ramp up are driving the stock down.
    This. But the problem is two-fold. Palm doesn't have the advertising budget to go gangbusters so they're relying more heavily on the carriers to push the phones. In return, the carriers aren't advertising like mad. How can you have good customer uptake if people barely knew the phone was introduced on Sprint.

Fast forward after 6 months on Sprint and the phones are introduced to Verizon with no pre-sales advertisement. Two weeks after the phones launch on V you see commercials but the push is that larger. You hear stories about V reps not really being trained on the phones and that not all V stores are carrying the product.

So after what amounts to a poorly executed launch and partners whom are not fully engaged analysts and Palm are surprised that revenue isn't what they projected?

If Palm thinks they can afford to work with their partners and advertise the way they currently doing, then they should be aware that revenue will continue to be low b/c the uptake will continue to be low.

If I'm Palm I'm rethinking how I interact with my carriers and how they promote my products. It's going to be interesting to see how ATT promotes the phones.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm not sure why they aren't selling. The public just seems to want 'an Iphone' not realizing there are better 'Iphones' out there. The general economy can't be helping things.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If I'm Palm I'm rethinking how I interact with my carriers and how they promote my products. It's going to be interesting to see how ATT promotes the phones.
    Agreed (the Canaccord analyst believes this also; see below). We will have to wait a little bit to see how Verizon responds and things will be clearer, its not an open and shut case yet, especially as Palm still has cash to ride this through for some months.

Palm: Sales Well Short Of Targets At Verizon, Canaccord Says - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    "Sales of Palm (PALM) smart phones at Verizon Wireless (VZ, VOD) are coming in well short of targets, according to Canaccord Adams analyst Peter Misek.

Misek told his firm sales force this afternoon - and then told me - that he thinks sales of the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus so far are less than 50% of Palm’s target levels. He believes Verizon will have to reassess its approach. Misek notes that there are multiple options: the carrier could ratchet up marketing (likely together with Palm); it could re-train store sales reps to push the phones; it could change its marketing approach; or it could simply throw in the towel and stop selling Palm phones entirely.

(I’d note that, somewhat to Misek’s irritation, the part of his message that leaked into the market was the possibility of Verizon dropping Palm; while he says it is a possibility, it is not the only possibility.)"
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I'm not sure why they aren't selling. The public just seems to want 'an Iphone' not realizing there are better 'Iphones' out there. The general economy can't be helping things.
    1. Pre is a substandard handset compared to other flagship phones. Plastic screen, bad hardware on the sliders, and quite frankly, a craptastic keyboard.

2. No advertising. I've seen a couple of ads recently, but not nearly to the level of other major smartphone providers.

3. WebOS while great isn't snappy enough.

Remember, customers love da snappy and they love da shiny. There are other phones in the market that do these two things better than the Pre does.

Palm needs new hardware and fast. They need to go with a slate, because that's what the market wants.

Additionally, they need better clarity on their target market. They are apparently ceding the business market to RIM. And lets be frank, Apple does a much better job of the entertainment phone than Palm does.

Lastly, Android is snapping up alot of the iPhone castoffs. That's just the truth, it's hurting the uptake on the Pre badly.

I hate to say it, but unless Palm completely revamps and retools a new handset and they get better at attacking the market they are focused on, it's only going to get worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    You're not sure why they're selling? A blind man can why they're not selling. Barely anyone knows that there is such a thing as a Pre or Pixi. The analysts are such geniuses b/c they're all saying that promotion and marketing needs to be better; and that Verizon needs to train their sales force on the phones so that they aren't pushing potential buyers to other phones.

Really???? No ***** Sherlocks. The problem is that Palm for some reason isn't as engaged as it should be. Creating the stupid crazy lady commercials where no one knew what was being promoted. Partnering on a 6 months exclusive on a carrier that is/was losing customers. Not making sure that there was constant promotions after the initial release by Sprint. And then Palm decides to approve a commercial created by their second launch partner in which moms were targeted. Palm's second launch partner decides that it's not really important to train their sales force on the new phones.

I mean none of that could have meant a huge uptake.
    Here's a call out to those forum members here who have repeatedly said that Palm is right on track, or right where palm expected to be, or right where palm should be. You know who you are. One of you even reminds us when his forecasts come true. Crow is not the point. Instead, how about sharing what Palm can do to right the ship. Or, do you still think the Palm ship is sailing just fine?
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    1. Pre is a substandard handset compared to other flagship phones. Plastic screen, bad hardware on the sliders, and quite frankly, a craptastic keyboard.

2. No advertising. I've seen a couple of ads recently, but not nearly to the level of other major smartphone providers.

3. WebOS while great isn't snappy enough.

Remember, customers love da snappy and they love da shiny. There are other phones in the market that do these two things better than the Pre does.

Palm needs new hardware and fast. They need to go with a slate, because that's what the market wants.

Additionally, they need better clarity on their target market. They are apparently ceding the business market to RIM. And lets be frank, Apple does a much better job of the entertainment phone than Palm does.

Lastly, Android is snapping up alot of the iPhone castoffs. That's just the truth, it's hurting the uptake on the Pre badly.

I hate to say it, but unless Palm completely revamps and retools a new handset and they get better at attacking the market they are focused on, it's only going to get worse.
    Your 1 and 3 comments just don't make sense when you look at the lack of advertising. If people barely know about the phone how do they know that in your opinion the phone is substandard? They wouldn't.

Additionally, how would they know WebOS isn't snappy if they don't know what WebOs is? Again, not every potential WebOs owner comes to this board so with the lack of advertising the more plausible case is that people aren't aware.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    HP should buy Palm. I recently read an article on how HP's smartphone segment is in the doldrums, yet it still wants to remain in the space. Palm would be a good choice for the OS.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Here's a call out to those forum members here who have repeatedly said that Palm is right on track, or right where palm expected to be, or right where palm should be. You know who you are. One of you even reminds us when his forecasts come true. Crow is not the point. Instead, how about sharing what Palm can do to right the ship. Or, do you still think the Palm ship is sailing just fine?
    Look, anyone saying Palm is right where they needed to be isn't paying attention to the market or isn't really into tech.

Palm's position is going to get worse shortly with a new iPhone and a bunch of really sexy handsets coming from HTC for Android. Not to mention you've got a revitalized MS with their 7 series this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Your 1 and 3 comments just don't make sense when you look at the lack of advertising. If people barely know about the phone how do they know that in your opinion the phone is substandard? They wouldn't.

Additionally, how would they know WebOS isn't snappy if they don't know what WebOs is? Again, not every potential WebOs owner comes to this board so with the lack of advertising the more plausible case is that people aren't aware.
    Because, the early adopters who could've purchased the phones didn't. They went other directions. Palm lost a large base of the early word of mouth advertising by failing on point 1 and 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Righting the ship will be based on new customer adoption. If Palm continues to take what appears to be a hands-off approach with their partners in advertising and training, then the ship will never be right. Palm has to work with the partners to bombard with promotions for months and ensure that their partner's sales forces aren't turning people away from their products.

Its February and cold in much of the country and the shorts and slower than expected sales ramp up are driving the stock down.
    Except that these quarterly results include December 2009 which was in the middle of the holiday boom.

Palm still has alot of cash on hand so they can last for some time.
    Cash from the sale of even more stock back in September. Stock which has dropped in value by ~50% since then.

The new o/s with its bells and whistles should get some press and some new fans.
    What new OS? The incremental update/bug fix that's supposed to come out this month?

Palm has stepped up to spend advertising in the wake of the lackluster Verizon launch with a smart presentation (and perhaps Verizon will step up some training of reps or some co-advertising after those poor initial valentines day ads).
    So, 9 months after the Pre's release, Palm has "stepped up to spend advertising?" Just like last June, Palm doesn't have the money for an ad campaign that is anything more than sparse, sporadic, and on the fringe.

Sprint 4G is due out by end of June. Palm will surely be one of the phones coming out with this soon although it can't announce this now for fear of cannibalizing current sales.
    While I have no insight into Palm's future device plans, I would be dismayed that Palm might invest their limited funds into a preliminary capability hosted by the distant #3 market as a means of increasing their market share. There's a lot of other lower hanging fruit they could go after first.

So things could be very different in some months. If you believe this, then monitor the stock as it could be an opportunity to reap some monetary reward in a sluggish economy.
    Much of Palm's future rests on the whims of Elevation Partners. Remember, Elevation felt no compunction in selling off Bioware and Pandemic Studios after only 2.5 years of non-performance. This year Palm hits that same 2.5 year milestone with Elevation.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast