View Poll Results: What does Palm need to do to stay relevant going forward?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roll out more WebOS devices pronto.

67 57.26%
  • Change quality control.

21 17.95%
  • Add more carriers to the fold.

13 11.11%
  • Sell/Merge with another comapny.

12 10.26%
  • They cannot do anything, and it is GAME OVER.

4 3.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Everyone,
    A while back I posted a similar thread about Sprint, and what they needed to do to win back customers. That thread did well, and I know for a fact that 2 Sprint reps went back to their managers with the information from here. Not that that small sample size did anything really important, but who knows, maybe it gets some sort of ball rolling.
    I thought I would pose the same sort of question to you all about Palm. We all have been reading the doom and gloom posts about Palm, and how it can't possibly survive due to almost any factor you can think of. Personally I think it's all a bunch of hogwash.
    I personally feel that even if, and that's a big IF, Palm were to fail with WebOS, another company would eat them up and begin working with WebOS on their own. The platform is so slick it is crazy. For me, and for many others there is no real comparison whatsoever.
    That being said, what do you, the members of one of the largest Palm Pre boards in the world (maybe the largest?) think palm needs to do in order to become the company we all know it can be? The choices in the poll are limited, so if you feel the need to chime in with another idea, please feel free to do so.
    The only thing I ask, is that you don't sit here and flame me or anyone else for their opinion, nor just post random nonsense replies. I have the ear of a Palm rep, and I would like him to see that we're not just a bunch of jokers and idiots that don't have any clue what they're talking about.
    Not that this may make any difference, but who knows, maybe it's a little baby step. Everyone here in this forum has something to offer, and most of us have experience with Palm for many years. Let's show them what we think!

Cheers!
    Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
    You missed one really obvious option in your poll, and it's the one I'd have chosen.

*Palm is relevant and they're already doing what they need to do.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    You missed one really obvious option in your poll, and it's the one I'd have chosen.

*Palm is relevant and they're already doing what they need to do.
    I actually agree with you.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    One big issue I find is the limited availability.

I've been waiting for so long to get a Pre in Canada. Thanks to Bell's exclusivity, their expensive plans and the choice of launching the CDMA model when the network was overlaid by an HSPA network specific for smartphones, which makes the CDMA network irrelevant, I decided not go for it. In fact Bell doesn't even care about the Pre now. It's the bargain basement unit, free for 3 year and $599 for no contract, so it's nothing more than a contract bait. They're more interested in promoting the Samsung Omnia II and iPhones now, again with their new HSPA network.

Asian presence is another issue. The Palm Pre coming soon page has been on the Hong Kong website for the longest time, and in the China page they are still promoting the Treo 680. They don't even have the Centro officially for some reason. And I've heard a lot about people trying to get Sprint units working in China and parallel-importing unlocked units from Europe to Hong Kong. Why no official launch? Asia's one of the biggest markets for mobile devices, and they are missing out?

They need to release the webOS phones to more markets. Fast. Enough of this exclusivity bullcrap.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I actually agree with you.
    You folks are too quick. That's what I was going to say. I am not sure that what Palm is doing is wrong. With their current resources they are making changes and adjustments at a good clip and the phone we have today is not the one we started with in the beginning. Let's see what happens over the next six months before we talk gloom and doom. At this point in time I still believe we have the best OS phone around.
    I wish you had an option for "Aggressive Marketing". I wouldn't mind seeing some "Palm vs. BB" ads. like the Apple/PC commercials. Or even palm going after people who have feature phones and why they should switch to a simple smartphone like Pre/Pixi.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I wish you had an option for "Aggressive Marketing". I wouldn't mind seeing some "Palm vs. BB" ads. like the Apple/PC commercials. Or even palm going after people who have feature phones and why they should switch to a simple smartphone like Pre/Pixi.
    This
    Definitely better marketing and a new device to stay current (still with the vertical slider, but bigger screen and more memory...at least). Otherwise, I dont think its anywhere near Palm's time to give up the ghost.

At least I hope...
    It's game over for the most part. Almost anything they do at this point is going to be to little, to late. I can only think of 2 things that even have an outside chance of getting them back into the game.

1) Drop an incredibly fast, innovative, fun device very soon and release it
    to every carrier that'll have it.
    2) Make WebOS available much the same way that Android is. I think if
    WebOS was available to all manufacturers, you would see a flood of
    devices hit the market using WebOS, making it much more of a household
    name and give Android a run for it's money, from a name recognition
    standpoint.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    standpoint.
    +1
    ***I Twitter***

Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    It's game over for the most part. Almost anything they do at this point is going to be to little, to late. I can only think of 2 things that even have an outside chance of getting them back into the game.

1) Drop an incredibly fast, innovative, fun device very soon and release it
    to every carrier that'll have it.
    standpoint.
    #2 is slightly dangerous. Android is fragmented and has too much freedom for device manufacturers to do with as they please. An Android device is just not the same if you surveyed the entire field. It confuses the consumer. Windows Phone 7 will be more successful at this model since they are putting strict hardware requirements on what their software can go on, unlike with Windows 6.x.x. Obviously, the best experience is when the hardware and software is handled by one company, like Apple and RIM and Nokia...the market leaders. Palm is better off just making more devices instead of licensing out their software.
    Aggressive development is needed. Has Palm been developing and innovating, sure. But not at a consistent rate. I LOVE webOS and think it has lots of potential to be the best. They need creative minds developing creative features further. I know they have a limited crew of developers, but they can reach out more to the users (put employees in forums like this to fuel ideas and discussion), connect with the webOS hackers more (which I love they are doing some of this, more is needed), and build apps (the Facebook app made them look dumb, hands down, but they could throw a couple guys on app duty a few days a week and bring them up to speed and do what it takes to blow our minds).
    I guess a short term solution could be with Apps. The more they sell, the more revenue they get. A small revenue, but something at least. And also boosts the Developers and their interest in working with WebOS
    ***I Twitter***

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I think they need advertisement pronto, everytime people see my Pre, they ask "What is that!?" A lot of people don't even know the Pre exists, once they SEE it and use the OS most people love it. There is also a lot of misinformation out there on crackberry.com for example (for BB user here) they all comment about how slow webOS is and how battery won't last till noon, all of which is not true at all for me. I hope Palm can work it out, it's the best OS IMO.
    OP, You're completely wrong. They only need to do one thing:

ADVERTISE.

They need (good) advertising EVERYWHERE. Remember when the iPhone was starting out (the first few years)? There was an ad at every subway stop, every bus stop, on every building, during every commercial break, all over the web. Yes, it's a great product but there are a lot of great products that never made it.
    1. Fire the marketing agency ASAP. Product placements and weird expensive ads do not work.
    2. Offer a "lite" WebOS that is more PDA (PalmOS) like. Less need for constant internet connection to be integrated to Synergy. Perhaps with this Palm can expand globally especially in Asia Pacific where 3G connection will drink up your battery in less than 1 hour. This strategy is not new. WP7 Series is rumoured to keep WinMo 6.5 base to less developed markets. Really makes sense.

Net, Palm need to take action now. It decided to put all its egg in WebOS and Synergy basket when it dumped PalmOS. Well, time to admit that the strategy doesn't work. So, try something else.
    I'd say I agree with "Palm is relevant and they're already doing what they need to do" but would add.....Roll out more WebOS devices pronto.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    The Register today has an interesting take on Palm's woes.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    1. Pre2 with HTC Build-like quality.
    2. A real marketing company (Creepy ad girl was EPIC FAIL).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I completely agree with all those who have said that they need to aggressively market WebOS.

Rolling out some additional devices wouldn't hurt either, but they definitely need to make a statement with their ad campaigns. I have never even seen the ad shared in the link above. The only one I remember ever seeing, looked like "Where the Wild Things Are", just a bunch of pointless scenes and some unknown indie tune playing in the background.

Here's a tip: Drop the flowery imagery that is supposed to be representative of the ease and flow of WebOS and just show people the ease and flow of WebOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast