View Poll Results: What does Palm need to do to stay relevant going forward?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roll out more WebOS devices pronto.

67 57.26%
  • Change quality control.

21 17.95%
  • Add more carriers to the fold.

13 11.11%
  • Sell/Merge with another comapny.

12 10.26%
  • They cannot do anything, and it is GAME OVER.

4 3.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think Palm is doing a better job then they were doing. They used to just release so-called updated phones; that weren't anything new.

This Is What Palm Needs To Do.
    1. Fix The App Store. Delete Spam & Scams, And Offer A Way To Get Refunds.
    2. Stop Charging Money For Tech Support.
    3. Listen To Their Customers Suggestions, And Implement Them Where Possible.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Palm needs to improve quality control and roll out new devices with those improvements. Make WebOS Faster.
    Perhaps you need to add another choice. Launch to the rest of the world.
    You should tell Palm these things using their Feedback page:
    http://www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html

Or send them an email through:
    www.planetfeedback.com
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Why would rolling out more devices have a significant impact?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Why would rolling out more devices have a significant impact?
    If Palm were to release WebOS phones of different designs, prices and ablities; then that could help them sell more phones. So a more basic WebOS phone, with a cheaper price; would appeal to certain people. Just as more advanced phones appeal to another set of people. The idea being release devices that vary in enough ways, that there is a WebOS phone for everyone.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    If Palm were to release WebOS phones of different designs, prices and ablities; then that could help them sell more phones. So a more basic WebOS phone, with a cheaper price; would appeal to certain people. Just as more advanced phones appeal to another set of people. The idea being release devices that vary in enough ways, that there is a WebOS phone for everyone.

But the Palm and Pixi have underperformed in the segments of the markets they were aimed at, so unless you change the public perception are you just launching more phones to do the same? Moreover it would require that the limited R&D and marketing money they have to be spilt even more ways. I can't see it happening.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I voted for more WebOS devices but I would also vote for improvement of WebOS before trying to sell it as well if that was a vote. These two things were my biggest issue with the Palm Pre and why I went back to my beloved Blackberry.

There is a world of difference in the feel of the Storm 2 versus the Palm Pre. The Storm feels like a device should feel and the Pre feels and looks like a toy. I always hated not having physical keyboards until I sat down with the Storm 2.

My biggest problem though with Palm WebOS is the fact that is was sort-of polished with low end features when it came out. WebOS was touted as the freshest thing you could get with unseen features like multitasking (BB has done this for ages) but you couldn't do basic things like changing the ringers for different events and or contacts. It is apparent that this was a problem in the sheer number of updates WebOS has had since its arrival though it can be said that atleast Palm didn't stop working on improving it. However, I still feel like we got WebOS too early and were beta testers for VZW when on Sprint exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But the Palm and Pixi have underperformed in the segments of the markets they were aimed at, so unless you change the public perception are you just launching more phones to do the same? Moreover it would require that the limited R&D and marketing money they have to be spilt even more ways. I can't see it happening.
    The problem with Palm's marketing, is that it hasn't really been all that good. The iPhone commercials show you apps and features; where Palm just has odd commericals that seem more artsy and not appealing. Palm needs to show the power of the WebOS. They need to talk about data and processing speeds. They need to have ads with lots of apps. They need people to think that the WebOS is sent down to Earth by some God. If iPhone uses a commercial where they tell you that the iPhone can use millions of apps, and Palm's commercial is just weird music and videos; who wins?

So I think different designs of the WebOS can help, but they have to fight Google and Apple head-on. Who cares about artsy ads? Show people how and why the WebOS is the best.
    Palm was late to the game. By the time iphone 4.0 (new androids and later windows 7 phone) is out it will be later and further behind.

It will be interesting to see where the pdk goes, imagine any iphone app to be ported in a few days.. for this to matter you need great hardware... for both to matter, great marketing.

I will be interesting to see where palm goes. Esp how the htc apple case go cause palm could be the next target.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Three things Palm can do to give it an edge over the competition...

Release:

1) A WebOS 2.0 that includes an innovative widget solution/virtual keyboard/robust voice capabilities/greater customization(patches & themes available via app catalog)

2) A new WebOS device with no longer than a 90 day exclusivity on any one carrier. The device would need to include at least a 3.5inch screen/1ghz processor/a matte black aluminum body/substantially lengthened battery life/and ditch the physical keyboard

3) A Palm Application Suite, similar to what Apple did with iLife, of advanced productivity and media apps that are the envy of the mobile market.

An advanced Agenda app that combines Calendars and Tasks with Location Based reminders!

A Photo app that allows flexible and
    innovative organization along with basic editing services like cropping, and custom slideshows with music!

A Music app that is similar to the Remix app but with better performance and integration with services like GrooveShark, Slacker, Pandora, and Shazaam...

If Palm were to come out with a truly innovative Application suit and ship it standard on every WebOS device, then market the hell out of how amazing and advanced the Palm suite is they could set the world on fire!

...forget the difficulty of trying to showcase multitasking in a 30 second spot!

Instead create 5 different spots 30 seconds a piece showcasing a different app from the suite!

I can see the ads now...

"Doing in a handful of apps, what others couldn't with thousands! The Palm Application Suite available exclusively on Palm..."
    Last edited by ethic3; 03/08/2010 at 04:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ethic3 View Post
    1) A WebOS 2.0 that includes an innovative widget solution/virtual keyboard/robust voice capabilities/greater customization(patches & themes available via app catalog)
    I'm not sure widgets are necessary; however a virtual keyboard (especially for landscape orientation) would be great. And patching/themes officially supported in the app catalog would be awesome and really set webOS apart.

2) A new WebOS device with no longer than a 90 day exclusivity on any one carrier. The device would need to include at least a 3.5inch screen/1ghz processor/a matte black aluminum body/substantially lengthened battery life/and ditch the physical keyboard
    I liked everything you mentioned except the keyboard. I love the Pre's keyboard...I wouldn't be nearly as efficient if I had to deal exclusively with a virtual keyboard.

3) A Palm Application Suite, similar to what Apple did with iLife, of advanced productivity and media apps that are the envy of the mobile market.

An advanced Agenda app that combines Calendars and Tasks with Location Based reminders!
    I don't think Palm is the one that necessarily needs to be creating these types of apps. Palm just needs to open up its APIs and allow 3rd party developers to get their creative juices flowing.

And I may be a bit biased here, but I think they should be pushing apps that already exist (like location-based reminders...see my signature) that other platforms like the iPhone cannot hope to be able to support.

A Photo app that allows flexible and
    innovative organization along with basic editing services like cropping, and custom slideshows with music!
    I think they should focus more on integration with more photo sharing services. The photos app should be part of the Synergy experience.

A Music app that is similar to the Remix app but with better performance and integration with services like GrooveShark, Slacker, Pandora, and Shazaam...
    Implementing Remix-like features directly into their music player would be nice (again, I may be biased). Audio performance in webOS definitely needs to be improved, but I think with their latest move to HTML 5 audio in webOS 1.4, they're making a step in the right direction. I think the performance issues in general reside in the UI itself. For instance, scrolling through a long list (music, contacts, or anything) is slow.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 03/08/2010 at 01:15 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Better marketing and improvement on their product.

Next update should be COMPLETELY focused on fixing ALL of the well known bugs with Webos.

Then they need better phones, when I say better I mean better quality and better battery life.

To compete, they have to be at comparison with the iPhone and Andriods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    To compete, they have to be at comparison with the iPhone and Andriods.
    NO THEY DON'T!

That is the problem with Palm right now. The Pre only exists as a response to the iPhone. If Palm had not pulled in a bunch of ex-Apple employees, taken cues from Apple's iPhone capacitive touch screen and software design, hijacked iTunes, and now, made it easy to port iPhone apps, there would be no Pre, or Palm for that matter. Protest all you like, Palm looks to the average customer who keeps up with such things, like the ultimate "me too" wanna be company.

They need to stop trying to keep up with the iPhones and Androids of the world. Instead, they need to do something that is uniquely Palm. They need to create their own ecosystem and make devices that do not look and behave like everything else. They need an original idea that makes their device stand out from the crowd. It does not need to be more powerful or have a bigger app store with all the same stuff as everyone else. Like Apple, like Nintendo, Palm needs to march to the beat of a different drummer. As long as they are reacting to what others are doing, they will always be behind. Few people will see the point of buying a copy, when the original is easily attained.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    NO THEY DON'T!

That is the problem with Palm right now. The Pre only exists as a response to the iPhone. If Palm had not pulled in a bunch of ex-Apple employees, taken cues from Apple's iPhone capacitive touch screen and software design, hijacked iTunes, and now, made it easy to port iPhone apps, there would be no Pre, or Palm for that matter. Protest all you like, Palm looks to the average customer who keeps up with such things, like the ultimate "me too" wanna be company.

They need to stop trying to keep up with the iPhones and Androids of the world. Instead, they need to do something that is uniquely Palm. They need to create their own ecosystem and make devices that do not look and behave like everything else. They need an original idea that makes their device stand out from the crowd. It does not need to be more powerful or have a bigger app store with all the same stuff as everyone else. Like Apple, like Nintendo, Palm needs to march to the beat of a different drummer. As long as they are reacting to what others are doing, they will always be behind. Few people will see the point of buying a copy, when the original is easily attained.
    As long as they're going to try to compete with Android and the iPhone, they have to be comparable to both.
    my thoughts:
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2184655
    and
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2249496

cliffs notes:
    palm needs better quality devices. they need to be on more carriers, and by more i mean all.. and not enter exclusive agreements that basically pay them to die. they need better advertising as opposed to the messages and images theyre currently sending. those are the relatively low cost ways to improve their situation.

within the next 9-12months they need a webos treo world phone.. same device, all carriers, and a larger display pre. they also need to adapt webos for larger form factor devices and launch one.

ill also add that they should go to their long lost partner sony... wine, dine, bed them... do whatever it takes to get them to give webos a fair shake on their products. sony might even consider buying palm, taking webos for all their phones and using the treo to jumpstart them in the business segment. sony loves proprietary stuff and webOS would seem good for them..
    If palm fails you can start with one simple fact: Palm alienated it's core users.

In my opinion palm made the biggest mistake I have ever seen a corporation make. The palm bread and butter was the hot sync application. the palm pre was a potential Iphone killer when it came out but palm made 1 mistake. They forgot that most of the people wanting to buy this palm product would probably be people who are familiar with palm products, I.e. palm desktop, hot sync. Instead they went for the new crowd, hey look at us new people, buy our new phone. They totally snubbed all the previous palm users. I know at least 5 people who now have iphones because of what palm did.

I know an entire company that dumped palm (2,000 treo users) and switched Blackberry because the palm pre could not sync with there palm desktop.

Not everyone is comfortable with putting sensitive data onto a server via the cloud. Key phrase there is" not everyone".

So if palm is losing market share, they have no one to blame but themselves. Never alienate your core base. It's the Mcdonalds way of doing business...don't change the fries or get rid of the big mac, just add to the menu of choices and let the people decide what they think is best.

Palm = ?
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mindfullofmusic View Post
    If palm fails you can start with one simple fact: Palm alienated it's core users.

In my opinion palm made the biggest mistake I have ever seen a corporation make. The palm bread and butter was the hot sync application. the palm pre was a potential Iphone killer when it came out but palm made 1 mistake. They forgot that most of the people wanting to buy this palm product would probably be people who are familiar with palm products, I.e. palm desktop, hot sync. Instead they went for the new crowd, hey look at us new people, buy our new phone. They totally snubbed all the previous palm users. I know at least 5 people who now have iphones because of what palm did.
    ...and 1 here who went WM for essentially the same reason.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12