1.    #1  
    First, I'd like to say that I am a "Palm ******". I waited in line for the Palm Pre for Sprint and have followed everything Palm, Pre, Pixi, etc since then. With that said, I can't help but to look at what the media and general public are saying about Palm and their outlook.

Looking at it (or trying to anyway) on a neutral perspective, I am now finally leaning towards the negative side. I guess my concern is the overwhelming growth that Android has had. Now Microsoft seems to be back into the game with Mobile 7. Blackberry...well...is Blackberry and no one can deny that they'll be around for awhile. iPhone has been capitalizing and doubling their sales quarter after quarter.

I'm not sure where I'm leading with all of this but I currently have the iPod Touch, I've had the T-Mobile MyTouch Android, and now I own the Blackberry Tour and the Palm Pre. Hands down - HANDS DOWN (and I repeat this to everyone I talk to), webOS beats all of these mobile OS in ease of use, multi-tasking, email, calendar, etc.

So I see several things happening here (and none that I really like). First, I see Palm being bought out. I know we've heard rumors time and time again but to be honest, I think anyone can predict that a company that base it's entire revenue stream on 2 phones is likely going to be acquired. Second, Palm may need to open up webOS and allow other manufacturers to create their own version of a "webOS smartphone". This would get to other carriers more quickly - just like Android. I know that Palm is against this idea but would they be more for it if (just like Microsoft is doing with Mobile 7) they require manufacturers to meet certain hardware specifications?

Your thoughts?
  2.    #2  
    Wow. I got the **** for "FanB&y". Didn't even know that's a bad word in the forums.
    In your dreams buddy... palm will survive they started this and they will finish it. Show me a company that dosen't have it's ups and downs,we'll fight this **** till the end.
    Palm is so small that they really don't have to sell millions to survive.
    NO
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    YOU'RE DOOMED! JERK! lol.. j/k.. they aren't because microsoft is gonna buy them! just like they turned the sega dreamcast into the xbox 360! they shall take webos and make it the premier mobile os as xbox is to gaming consoles.. muuhahahahaha (evil laugh)

project natal for my mobile device! me and milo shall rule the world!
    Yes,
    They are doomed. They've been doomed for many years now.
    They've always been doomed, and they always will be.
    Get out while you still can
    Just call me Berd.
  8.    #8  
    Sigh. I should have known than to exhaust my opinion on this forum.

Yes, a "small company" doesn't need to sell millions. That's true. But they are a public company and "small companies" just like Palm get bought out all the time. It's how this lil thing we call "business" work.

I'm for Palm. I really am. And I posted this originally to get responses from people that were neutral on this as well but I guess I shouldn't considering this is a Palm forum.

The most convincing response so far is definitely the "NO" one. Guess I won't question Palm viability ever again.
    That's probably a good idea in a Precentral forum....where most of us have Palm products and have for years....people can get pretty loud around here when you start picking on their baby......

keep posting though, because it does make for interesting debate.
    I need to apologize.
    I didn't mean to stifle conversation.

The prediction/speculation of Palm's Doom goes back as far as I can remember. Its been said many times; It isn't an all or nothing. Palm even said that about themselves with the announcement of the Pre.
    There is lots of room for many players in the SmartPhone industry.

Maybe if Palm gets bought out, maybe we could consider that 'Palm's Doom'
    Just call me Berd.
    Seriously though, Android's growth is quite amazing. For a brand new operating system that, when the Palm Pre was released, only had a handful of supported handsets it's done amazingly well.

Of course if Android had never existed, WebOS would have made more of an impact. The trouble is that Palm was always going to come fourth behind Apple, Nokia and BlackBerry - but add Android to the equation and suddenly you're coming in at fifth place with only two devices to offer. With Windows Mobile's reboot we're looking at yet another established company enter the fray with a new operating system - if it is a huge success then we are looking at coming in sixth place in terms of market share.

Ever the optimist though I think Palm will do just fine, but it does depend on this year's performance both in terms of new products and in carefully managing their budget.

If WebOS gets buried in all this, it will be a very sad thing.
    Android is not hardware, but a software used by different phone manufacturers giving it more exposure, of course it is going to grow at a faster pace, duh....
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Android is not hardware, but a software used by different phone manufacturers giving it more exposure, of course it is going to grow at a faster pace, duh....
    However, the point's the same. Android has a ton of mindshare right now, and there are a variety of phones, from virtually every carrier, that the Pre/Pixi have to compete with.

It's hard for WebOS to compete when there are phones with much of the same functionality (Hero on Sprint, Droid & Eris on Verizon) in addition to RIM and iPhone - it's a much more crowded field than just a year ago.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Did you actually just 'duh' me? I'm well aware of what Android is

For any brand new OS to grow at such a rate is impressive in an already saturated market. I was using the Palm Pre as a point of reference in time to show how young Android was, not to directly compare their growth rate.

But seriously... did you really just 'duh' me?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Palm is swimming in a feeding tank with three of the biggest sharks in technology: Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Each is highly diversified could play in the smartphone market indefinitely. The prospects for Palm are pretty bad at this point. I'm sure they are looking to be acquired.
    I posted in another thread that RIM or Nokia might be interested. Symbian is an aging OS and Mameo isn't all that greate. RIM's OS is not really a modern smartphone OS, some say it's just a glorified java engine. Maybe one of them will snatch up webOS.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Another Palm is doomed thread. What a surprise.
    yeah, I've been a a Palm fan for forever, it feels like, but mostly since getting my Treo 600. I'm not in love with my Pre, but I do like it. Like others have stated, I truly believe that WebOS has the coolest OS.

I'm also a Palm investor with some stock.

All that said, having read about Microsoft's new OS on the way, having caught a snippet of news today with various folks downgrading Palm...iin combination with knowing that even *I* frequently note my Pre's weaknesses, including the continuing not-quite-fast-enough feeling of WebOS (that I noted from that first 2009 CES reveal and the hands-on videos from then)...

...I dunno, I'm feeling a bit less optimistic today.

On Android...I guess one could say that at least they actually had a bit of a head start, right? Didn't Android get released about a year or so before the Pre's reveal?

...not that that obviates the fact that there are and will be so many Android phones in the marketplace soon.

I don't have any vision to offer as far as thoughts on Palm's future, but I hear your decrease in optimism, and I share it. At least today.
    Microsoft is far from being back in the game. Windows Phone 7 Series is nearly a year away and in an unfinished state (to put it charitably). Their little smoke and mirrors presentation at MWC created far more questions than answers.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    It's hard for WebOS to compete when there are phones with much of the same functionality (Hero on Sprint, Droid & Eris on Verizon) in addition to RIM and iPhone - it's a much more crowded field than just a year ago.
    Excellent point. They pretty much have the same function but the one thing going for webOS is the user interface and the way it handles multi-tasking.

With that being said, I do believe it's the SLOWEST of the operating systems mentioned. v1.3.5 helped a little but I still experience a lag when opening/navigating apps. I hate when I have to tap on the screen more than once only to find out it's the lag causing the problem.

Hopefully palm can survive being #4 behind apple,android,rim and WM7. The CEO mentioned the space is large enough to have multiple players and still be a successful company.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    By my count, Palm would be #5 and that's if you don't count Symbian which is huge outside the US.
    Maybe that was my wishful thinking, you're right #5