1.    #1  
    I have a visorphone with service from Voicestream. My visorphone was free with one year contract with Voicestream. When my year is up, I plan to get a Treo with the service activation discount. Anyone have experience with this? Do I need to cancel my voicestream account (and lose my phone number in the process) and then re-instate service or is there a better way?
    From handspring.com:
    [/b]Why Treo communicators cost more without service activation:[/b]
    The price of Treo communicators without service activation is simply the standard price of the product. Through an agreement with service providers, we are able to give a significant discount to customers who get a new phone line and sign up for a one-year service contract at the time of purchase. This discount applies only to customers activating new phone lines, not those who replace existing lines.
    This seems to suggest you have to lose your number to get the discount. But you could get Treo w/o service and use the "trade in for $100" deal. Yes, this costs more than a Treo with service, but you di get to keep your number.
    Jeff
    You can also sell your Visor and/or visophone to recoup some of the money you pay for the Treo.

Originally posted by PDAENVY
    From handspring.com:

This seems to suggest you have to lose your number to get the discount. But you could get Treo w/o service and use the "trade in for $100" deal. Yes, this costs more than a Treo with service, but you di get to keep your number.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info and suggestions. Now I know there's no advantage in waiting till my one year is up, I'll probably do the trade in thing and just transfer my smart card. I can't afford to lose my phone number.