1.    #1  
    Just read the speculation on the "C40" and WiMax on the PreCentral front page...

Does anybody here on Sprint & Verizon ever travel abroad? Your Pre or Pixi is a useless brick overseas. We need a WebOS world phone (think Blackberry Tour) that I can take to Europe, the Middle East, etc. and pop in a local SIM card. That is the pressing issue, not WiMax.

If Palm makes a CDMA/GSM world phone and drops in a WiMax/LTE radio, that's fine and dandy. But for next couple of years, that 4G radio will be unused and unusable in most geographic locations in the world.

Give me a WebOS world phone with a screen the size of the Droid, and I will be very happy, with or without 4G.
    Actually CDMA has pretty good coverage worldwide.
    CDG : Worldwide : Worldwide

The problem is that Sprint \ Verizon do not yet participate in the CDG's attempt to make international roaming possible. There is CDMA coverage all over Europe and the Middle East. If you want to use your Pre there, force Sprint\Verizon to offer roaming. Right now with GSM you usually have to purchase a new SIM card when overseas, it is usually cheaper then paying the International roaming fees from AT&T. Their current rate is a $5.99 monthly fee and all you get is discounted roaming rates depending on where you go. (And looking at their before\after comparison chart they only give you that discount in a handful of places.)

Sprint\Verizon has been this way for a long time. So, the pressing issue for them is not international roaming. So few of their customers request it. If you look at Sprint's coverage maps on their site it really looks like their main concern\focus has always been making sure that when they have a tower up some where and offer actual sprint coverage (not roaming) that is up to date with the latest and greatest. If you look at their coverage maps for voice and data you will see that everwhere Sprint has their towers they have both Voice and 3g available, and growing 4g. Take a look at Verizons and AT&T maps sometime. Their voice only coverage areas are much larger then their data coverage areas. Sprints are almost identical, and then you have the Sprint voice roaming map (which looks a lot like Verizons voice map...)

Now go take a look here:
    WiMAX Maps

WiMax is not a Sprint only deal. This technology was worked on and developed by many. WiMax is worldwide as well. If WiMax keeps growing the way it is, it will have decent worldwide coverage long before GSM gets LTE out the door.

At this point in the game, why spend money on building and researching a phone that runs primarily on CDMA and with a GSM radio for international roaming? You don't need the GSM radio for roaming, CDMA has enough International coverage, Sprint would just need to work out the roaming contracts, which they obviously don't want to do. This is such a small percentage of their customers. Let's face it, Sprint does not have the greatest Voice coverage, so, if you are a business man and you travel a lot you probably all ready have a different carrier. Sprint seems to do better with customers who are all ready living in an area with good Sprint coverage and do not travel constantly. They do better by updating their towers and feeding their customers the latest and greatest.

For now I personaly would love to see Sprint get a WiMax handset out the door.

I really believe that if Sprint wanted to become a business man's carrier with International roaming, etc... they need to work on expanding their own network first. If you can not travel around the US with a Sprint phone and not be roaming more then half the time, why would you expect to travel overseas with it?

Let them get WiMax out the door, and then they will have some breathing time to work on expanding their own coverage and working out international roaming contracts. Once WiMax is out it will be years before anyone in the US can touch them as far as speed, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile are all waiting on LTE. Once WiMax proves itself I think Sprint may see an influx of customers who need the higher speed. The downside is, like most Sprint services, their coverage area is tiny compared to others, they need to get WiMax coverage increased before they will see benefits.
  3.    #3  
    You missed several points of my post.

First, go look at the CDMA map link you provided, and show me the CDMA coverage in Germany, France, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece, etc., etc. There ain't none. Nor will there be.

If you're in Europe, you're going to be using a GSM phone, period. If you think otherwise, you haven't been there.

Also, you keep talking about Sprint. I have no issue with Sprint (I've been with them since '96 since they were an, um, GSM carrier, and since '99 when they sold that and moved exclusively to CDMA). In fact, Sprint is cool. They get it. That's why the sell the Blackberry Tour 2, which does both CDMA and GSM.

I was talking about PALM. I want Palm to offer a WebOS version of the Tour. If Palm wants to drop in the recently released WiMax/LTE dual mode radio, I won't object. I just won't be exactly exuberant, because I won't be able to use it in 99% of the places in the world until at least another year or two (and even then, it'll be slim pickings).

But if Palm offers a WebOS world phone like the Tour, I will be exuberant. And if they additionally drop in the WiMax/LTE radio, I'll just nod and say "That's my Palm."

But first things first.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    CDMS/GSM World Phone would be nice.
    You are correct about lack of CDMA in Europe, and my response was mainly towards Sprint\Verizon pushing for a world phone - not Palm just making one.

Looking at the specs on the Tour it looks like you trade WiFi for GSM. Too many radios in one device?

Palm is still trying to get WebOS to the masses, target the largest constomer base. Trading WiFi for GSM on their next device could hurt. I know several people who would not go for the Pixi because it's lack of WiFi.

So, for now at least I would rather see them do a CDMA + WiMax phone. Hopefully they can figure out a way to squeeze three radios in there and get a CDMA + WiMax + WiFi.

For now, Palm needs to stick to mainstream devices, get WebOS in peoples hands. Then work on releasing several models (like blackberry does.)

Ultimatly it would be nice to see a CDMA + WiFi + WiMax + GSM in one device, and maybe that would be the trick. Figure out how to get everything in one, keep the size down, and keep a decent battery life. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Until WebOS has a better market share then Android, I would rather see a CDMA + WiMax handset then a World Phone. I don't want to see palm die becuase they couldn't get enough supporters and developers behind WebOS.
    I say WiMax, palm should focus on one market, the need of a world phone isn't big enough.
    Palm will have a world phone once they start selling a GSM phone through AT&T. It's won't work on CDMA but it will work everywhere in the world.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I would kill for a CDMA (preferably Sprint because of the much lower monthly bill) WebOS phone w/an unlocked GSM SIM slot (aka, a WebOS version of the Tour). I travel abroad just enough for it to be a pain in the *** to be on a CDMA carrier... but not often enough to justify being on a US GSM carrier (and thereby suffering spotty US data coverage and higher bills). Sad to say: I'm actually considering "downgrading" to a Sprint Tour (or Essex/Tour2) from my Pre when my Premier upgrade qualifies in June. I'm hoping that Palm gives me something worth sticking w/WebOS for. I "want" to stick with WebOS, but my business/travel needs are making it difficult...
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    You missed several points of my post.

First, go look at the CDMA map link you provided, and show me the CDMA coverage in Germany, France, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece, etc., etc. There ain't none. Nor will there be.

If you're in Europe, you're going to be using a GSM phone, period. If you think otherwise, you haven't been there.

Also, you keep talking about Sprint. I have no issue with Sprint (I've been with them since '96 since they were an, um, GSM carrier, and since '99 when they sold that and moved exclusively to CDMA). In fact, Sprint is cool. They get it. That's why the sell the Blackberry Tour 2, which does both CDMA and GSM.

I was talking about PALM. I want Palm to offer a WebOS version of the Tour. If Palm wants to drop in the recently released WiMax/LTE dual mode radio, I won't object. I just won't be exactly exuberant, because I won't be able to use it in 99% of the places in the world until at least another year or two (and even then, it'll be slim pickings).

But if Palm offers a WebOS world phone like the Tour, I will be exuberant. And if they additionally drop in the WiMax/LTE radio, I'll just nod and say "That's my Palm."

But first things first.

But there was signal in Cusco and the Valley of the Sacred Inas! March 2010