1.    #1  
    Handspring is offering a $100 trade-in rebate for the Treo 180. You can trade-in any organizer (PPC or Palm) and get the rebate... and it doesn't even have to be a working PDA.
    Very interesting offer: I wonder what they will do with the old PDA's? It is probably just a ploy to make it look like they are not lowering the price (Anyone have a broken Visor Solo laying around I could have!?)

As a side note - YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETURN YOUR TREO TO HANDSPRING IF YOU USE THIS OFFER WITH A DEVICE OTHER THAN A VISOR!!! The Mail-In Rebate requires you to remove the Barcode from the Treo box, which means it cannot be returned (only exchanged on-warranty...)
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Handspring has done this before. Trade in program.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I hope this is not an indicator that TREO 180 sales are weak? Afterall, isn't Handspring betting the company on these little gadgets? Visor's out, TREO's in... or is it? Talk about an ooops.

I'm a bit concerned they are offering such a promotion for the TREO after only a few months following it's introduction. At first glance, one might conclude that sales are not sustaining projected revenue figures.

I have been wrong once before
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    Handspring is rolling the dice.

I have been lurking around the forums reading and wondering if i should invest $399.00 in a device that "might" disappear in 1-2 years time.
    I can understand your hesitation, but even if Handspring disappears your Treo is going to keep working as it should. It's not like the continuing functionality is tied to Handspring.

Now...if you had these feelings about ReplayTV.....

Originally posted by airunz
    Handspring is rolling the dice.

I have been lurking around the forums reading and wondering if i should invest $399.00 in a device that "might" disappear in 1-2 years time.
    Originally posted by jonecool
    I hope this is not an indicator that TREO 180 sales are weak? Afterall, isn't Handspring betting the company on these little gadgets? Visor's out, TREO's in... or is it? Talk about an ooops.
    I don't think that's it. I think they're getting ready to introduce the 270. In the past, their pattern has been to drop prices on an older product so they can move it out the door before they introduce a better one.

I wonder whether they'll introduce the GSM or Sprint version first?
    I hope this is not an indicator that TREO 180 sales are weak? Afterall, isn't Handspring betting the company on these little gadgets?
    Latest sales figures I've seen in the press is that 47,000 Treos have been sold to date. That sounds good to me but I'm no expert.
    Originally posted by rluxemburg
    Latest sales figures I've seen in the press is that 47,000 Treos have been sold to date. That sounds good to me but I'm no expert.
    Source? I've seen that number quoted as _shipped_, but shipped != sold.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I think I recall reading 7000 unit sales, though 47k were shipped. I can't recall the source of the info, it may have been from the con call or Palminfocenter. If 7000 unit sales is accurate, that's rather weak $399x7000=$2,793,000. If you take the actual profit out of that figure you're likely only looking at a few hundred thousand. That's not much at all. I would have estimated 100x that number. Somehow, I think Handspring was too. But, they upset quite a few "potential" repeat customers with the Visor discontinuation news. Allot of people, including myself, don't look at expansion as a nicety anymore. It's a requirement and hard to believe Handspring has abandoned expandability in the TREO Line. It's what made Handspring, Handspring.

-Note-I used $399 as an average, there were allot of discounts at Best Buy($100 off), Amazon ($150 off), etc. that would likely average the price down to $399 or even less.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    The figure was 13,000 sold, 47,000 shipped to retailers, other countries etc to be sold. This was said in the confrence call two weeks ago? and was reported on here at VisorCentral.com

(well, I think it was.. search for the article if you think differently and find out)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  12.    #12  
    I think I recall reading 7000 unit sales, though 47k were shipped. I can't recall the source of the info, it may have been from the con call or Palminfocenter. If 7000 unit sales is accurate, that's rather weak $399x7000=$2,793,000. If you take the actual profit out of that figure you're likely only looking at a few hundred thousand. That's not much at all. I would have estimated 100x that number. Somehow, I think Handspring was too.
    The number is more like 13,000 sell through as miruda stated. I don't think that's bad at all considering that we're in the midst of a recession (every handheld manufaturer is suffering). And let's not forget that they didn't start selling it in the US until pass the midway point into the quarter... and that was just online - they didn't get it into the stores until the last week of the quarter. There's only a small segment of our society that shops online. So with that said, I don't think it's a small number at all.

But, they upset quite a few "potential" repeat customers with the Visor discontinuation news. Allot of people, including myself, don't look at expansion as a nicety anymore. It's a requirement and hard to believe Handspring has abandoned expandability in the TREO Line. It's what made Handspring, Handspring.
    I think the whole idea behind the Treo is that of mobility and not having to carry around and keep track of extra accessories for your handheld. It's supposed to be lightweight and hassle-free.

As network pipes become bigger and faster, I see no need for expansion slots. Think of the Treo as a thin client "always connected" to a powerful server backend. If you want to pull up a document and it's not in your cache, the OS seemlessly goes to the server, brings it back, and display it on your handheld. To the user, it would be so seemless and fast that it would be as if the document resided on the handheld to begin with. There's no need for syncing. Drop and broke your handheld, no problem... get another and reconnect to the server to retain your data and contacts. Same thing with apps... with this client/server architecture you increase the processing power of your handheld exponentially. Of course, this is not yet reality (I think seven.com is moving in this direction). And it's all dependent upon network speed (if it can approach speeds comparable to a internal computer bus) and the price carriers charge for streaming massive data back and forth (a flat fee of preferable - at least to the consumer).

I'm not saying that expansion slots should go away completely, but I, for one, like the Treo because of it's compact and light. Adding an expansion slot would only increase the size and weight. I am new to the world of PDAs (I'm awaiting my first Treo from Amazon)... how often do you use the expansion slots?
    Originally posted by uncledrunkle

The number is more like 13,000 sell through as miruda stated. I don't think that's bad at all considering that we're in the midst of a recession (every handheld manufaturer is suffering). And let's not forget that they didn't start selling it in the US until pass the midway point into the quarter... and that was just online - they didn't get it into the stores until the last week of the quarter. There's only a small segment of our society that shops online. So with that said, I don't think it's a small number at all.

That's a valid point. We are exiting a recession and sales are down... problem is sales are not high enough for Handspring to break even much less attain a profit. Something they need to do soon before investors begin ditching their stock. If you haven't noticed, "HAND" is around $1.96 a share. Much lower and they may risk being delisted from NASDAQ. Not a good thing.

I think the whole idea behind the Treo is that of mobility and not having to carry around and keep track of extra accessories for your handheld. It's supposed to be lightweight and hassle-free.
    Being new to PDA's, you may not have heard of a Hard-Reset. This can occur for various reasons. Typically, it's caused by an ill-behaved application (or Hack) that was installed. The first time you use your TREO away from the office (say, travelling) and the battery dies or a client beams a cool new game that causes a Hard-Reset, you'll see the value to a portable backup solution. With a Hard Reset, you will lose everything (phone contacts, calendar, etc.) If you don't think this can happen with a TREO you are wrong. I bought a TREO 180 for my wife so that I could use it for software development. When I tried using my VisorPrism HotSync ID on the TREO, I had to perform my first Hard-Reset on the TREO. I don't know if it was my Launcher, or something else but the TREO was "looping" on the startup screen. If you carry a laptop with you, it may not be as much of a big deal. For me, I prefer the PDA to be semi self-contained and allow me to easily back the contents of the PDA to a removable storage medium. The TREO which lacks any form of quick restore from external media is a SERIOUS issue that users will, eventually, begin to take notice of.

As network pipes become bigger and faster, I see no need for expansion slots. Think of the Treo as a thin client "always connected" to a powerful server backend.
    In the future, this is a strong likelyhood. However, today you won't be using your TREO to perform a wireless Restore. The only Web-Enabled application is Blazer and it does not support (currently) the ability to download applications from the Web. Although, if you have a really good memory (IP to your Host machine, configuration of Network HotSync, etc.) it would be possible for you to perform a Network HotSync while on the road. To do this, you'll first need a dedicated internet connection from the office/home, open up various ports and hope you don't get hacked. Not to mention the terribly slow connection, GPRS from the TREO from what I hear is likely going to be equivalent to a 56k connection. Today, the TREO operates at around 9600 baud and would take about 3-4 hours to restore 8MB of Data. I hope you have plenty of cell minutes per month.

I'm not saying that expansion slots should go away completely, but I, for one, like the Treo because of it's compact and light. Adding an expansion slot would only increase the size and weight. I am new to the world of PDAs (I'm awaiting my first Treo from Amazon)... how often do you use the expansion slots?
    I like the size of the TREO as well. It is small, though the screen is (in my opinion) too small. I use the Expansion slots everyday. I use a VisorPrism/VisorPhone which is the technical equivalence of the TREO 270 (though with a larger screen and a removable phone module). I also have a MemPlug CF, MemPlug SM, Xircom 802.11b Wireless Ethernet, SoundsGood, OmniRemote, CSM-150 Barcode Scanner, Eyemodule2, and Targus Voice Recorder. You might say I use the expansion slots on a regular basis

I think the TREO is a nice device, again my wife has one. I play with it from time to time but mostly for testing apps. I write. Would I replace my VisorPrism/VisorPhone with a TREO, not likely. Expansion for me is not a luxury, it is a necessity. If the TREO had some form of backup technology, I would consider it. But not in it's present version.
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    Originally posted by miradu
    The figure was 13,000 sold, 47,000 shipped to retailers, other countries etc to be sold. This was said in the confrence call two weeks ago? and was reported on here at VisorCentral.com

(well, I think it was.. search for the article if you think differently and find out)
    No, you're correct (I saw the figures elsewhere also).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...