1.    #1  
    I was very excited when I got my Treo. Finally I had my cell phone and Palm in one device. For the most part everything worked as it should. I had some connection issues with the Internet access, but am hopeful GPRS will solve this. Also, there should be a setting to make the backlight go on when the cover is opened. Now it doesn't, and it's a pain to have to manually turn on the backlight when using the Treo in the dark.

So what does the Treo NOT have that my cell phone and Palm V had, the ability to take some abuse. I've been using my Treo for three days, and yesterday I took it out of my bag only to find the antenna broken at the base. Not the part that screws off and could easily be replaced, but the base that the antenna screws into. Here is a photo, Treo Photo.

So I called Handspring, to see if they would replace it. Sure they would, but It'd cost me $159. Now I've broken my phone and palm before, but it never cost so much to fix/replace. Actually in most cases it didn't cost anything.

I'm still talking to Handspring, and hopefully they come through. I'll keep you posted. If I knew the Treo would break so easily I don't think I would have bought one.

Update:
    A supervisor was suppose to call me from Handspring today, but I have from them.
    $159.00 for a repair? Sheesh. If it still works, use superglue.
    That really rots, sorry to hear it. But FYI-- GlowHack has a setting to always turn the backlight on when the PalmPilot (it's an old hack) is turned on, or when it's turned on between certain hours of the day, or more appropriately, night.
    You must have given the Treo a severe blow or someone sat on your bag to do such damage. Trying to put others off buying a Treo on this basis of your mistake aint too fair to the design folks. Then again, you may have got one with faulty plastics or you dropped it before and it hairline cracked and now with a lesser force the break showed up.

I have dropped mine several times and often swing it around by the antenna. All not too sensible but no bad effects yet. My plastics are a little tarnished but thats because I put it in my pocket with bunches of keys.

Waiting for the bombs to fall...

PS I use GlowHack too - this entirely solves the problem of nighttime visibility of the screen. I had to adjust it a little for the longer days recently but otherwise set it and forget it. If it just calculated the length of the day in your latitude...
    The problem is, the plastic Handspring is using
    is not the strong plastic around for this application.

Frankly, I don't understand why they didn't
    use a metal composite.

-henry
    If it just calculated the length of the day in your latitude...

...and light up the keyboard as well....

use a metal composite.

-henry
    Originally posted by hmp32

use a metal composite.

-henry
    I can give you around 50 to 100 reasons why they did not use metal.

$$$

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    yep, what meta_dave said.

If you put too much pressure on any protrusion (like an antenna) its going to break off. I've had my Treo for 2 months now, and its been flawless. I haven't dropped it onto concrete or anything, but its been nothing but sturdy.

As to the request that the entire case be made out of metal... you realize that that would probably at least double the weight and drive up the price, right?
  10.    #10  
    So Handspring came through

Though it took some persistance. Three calls, a supervisor was suppose to call me back twice, finally did, but not when they said he would.

They wouldn't fix it, so they are replacing it. Works for me. I'm a Treo advocate once again.
    is there some kind of insurance plan for this phone? i called voicestream and they dont offer it anymore.

also has anyone had the problem of losing service and not automatically picking it back up? when i go in some buildings, i get a no service message and the only way i get my service back is by turning the wireless mode on and off.
    Originally posted by hmp32
    Jeff Hawkins has produced two metal PalmOS devices: the V and the Edge.

...both have significant static problems, especially the edge. The treo is pretty solid (well, pretty solid... my speaker just died), and using metal would probably add a whole 'nother design problem..
    Originally posted by eshear
    is there some kind of insurance plan for this phone? i called voicestream and they dont offer it anymore.

also has anyone had the problem of losing service and not automatically picking it back up? when i go in some buildings, i get a no service message and the only way i get my service back is by turning the wireless mode on and off.
    Get it replaced or try the update first. This is a known problem I beleive.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7