1.    #1  
    I've heard some other folks mention in passing that they get the "voicemail waiting" icon via Cingular. I've had my treo for 2 months and still haven't seen it once. I DO get an SMS that says "You have one new voice message" - but that's it. Regardless of whether I read, ignore, delete or save the SMS, the icon never appears. Thus on heavy SMS days I sometimes "miss" it altogether - and don't know I have a VM until someone asks if I got their VM...

Does this work for anyone on Cingular? Did you have to do anything special to enable it? Where are you located? Do you have basic VM, or did you subscribe to some enhanced VM package?

Thanx
    paul
    I saw it work on my phone on Cingular here in Southern California. I didn't get an SMS when voicemail arrived, just the tape reel at the top.

BTW, any idea how the SMS billing on Cingular works? There are some indications that I only pay for mobile originated SMS messages (either that I originate or that other phone users originate). My online bill hasn't shown any of the messages I sent via email and in fact only has shown 2 of the dozens of messages that I have sent from my phone and from email.
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    I've heard some other folks mention in passing that they get the "voicemail waiting" icon via Cingular. I've had my treo for 2 months and still haven't seen it once. I DO get an SMS that says "You have one new voice message" - but that's it. Regardless of whether I read, ignore, delete or save the SMS, the icon never appears. Thus on heavy SMS days I sometimes "miss" it altogether - and don't know I have a VM until someone asks if I got their VM...

Does this work for anyone on Cingular? Did you have to do anything special to enable it? Where are you located? Do you have basic VM, or did you subscribe to some enhanced VM package?

Thanx
    paul
    Well, here is what I get.

If I miss a call the phone tells me after the party gives up or goes to mail (first pic)

Then if they leave a message the screen changes to the second picture.

If I use some function on the phone the second picture goes away and results in the third pic.

Mail Pictures

Something worth mentioning... it DID NOT work this way with the first phone

FWIW

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
  4.    #4  
    Interesting. I get the "first photo" behavior. But I get a "plain old SMS" message regarding having voicemail - not the cool "second photo" message, and thus never get the reel-to-reel indicator at the top of the screen.

Rod - do you remember what your first unit did?

Does you second have the "newer" SW?

Thanx
    Paul
    I have one of the old Treos, and I'm on Cingular in CA. I get the behaviour described above, i.e. the tape icon. Perhaps it varies from state to state?

Colin
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    Rod - do you remember what your first unit did?
    Don't remember much EXCEPT it did NOT do the SMS thing (I was jealous wishing it would)

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7