1.    #1  
    Toshiba promising TransferJet equipped products by end of the year -- Engadget

This seems interesting. If Palm can integrate this into Touchstone it would possibly eliminate the USB Cable. Wireless charging AND data transfer.

Yes, I know, we can do it via Wi-Fi with rooting and SSH, but it's not as integrated as an official solution.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    We would need hardware in the phone not the touchstone and a quick google search shows it only works within 1.25 inches.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    We would need hardware in the phone not the touchstone and a quick google search shows it only works within 1.25 inches.
    You would need both, actually.

Make the Touchstone into an peripheral, true data dock. Connect via USB to the desktop. The PC has to receive too, right?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You would need both, actually.

Make the Touchstone into an peripheral, true data dock. Connect via USB to the desktop. The PC has to receive too, right?
    Ya but the entire point of wireless solution is to be wireless so a wire from pc to ts is still a wired one

So if palm would just work out a nice built in wifi file manager we would be set... already built into the pre and most modern laptops, or very cheap upgrade 15$?
  5.    #5  
    But if you use a UWB technology, you wouldn't need to fiddle around with IP addresses, enabling Wi-Fi on both ends and stuff. It would be like wireless USB, just put it on Touchstone then it shows up in your PC file manager. Makes things simpler for the consumer, right?

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    But if you use a UWB technology, you wouldn't need to fiddle around with IP addresses, enabling Wi-Fi on both ends and stuff. It would be like wireless USB, just put it on Touchstone then it shows up in your PC file manager. Makes things simpler for the consumer, right?
    Ya but, if palm spent the same amount of time it would take to redesign and test both the phone and TS they could create a sync client and wifi transfer manager for webos. We would get the same ease of use along with real wireless sync and free to boot

There already a few options by third party's so its already being done and $40 is cheap compared the the increase in cost of phone and ts after adding transfer jet.

I think in some years this might be the way to go if laptop comes standard with them and they can increase the range to say the length of an average living room.

Then I would get excited but as it stands most of the time my TS is plugged into the cable going to the wall charger having to unplug and relocate my TS over to were my laptop stip to allow syncing takes more time than just using another cable to plug in directly..

Don't get me wrong its really cool tech but needs some improvement IMO..