Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    <- me eating crow.
    What pisses me off is not that Zsozso was telling the truth and now I have to admit he was right. What pisses me off is that we've all been told that the Treo has a ROM chip that cannot be flashed with a new OS. Handspring continues to claim that none of their devices have Flash ROM, and here we are being shown that they were lying?
    Can anyone tell for sure if the update really is in ROM? I mean, if it survives a hard reset, there's really not other explanation, is there? Up until now, most updates have gone into RAM, and need to be restored after a hard reset.
    Anyway, so I have now eaten my words, and I have much less confidence in the people who had been telling me other things.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    What pisses me off is that we've all been told that the Treo has a ROM chip that cannot be flashed with a new OS. Handspring continues to claim that none of their devices have Flash ROM, and here we are being shown that they were lying?
    Can anyone tell for sure if the update really is in ROM? I mean, if it survives a hard reset, there's really not other explanation, is there?
    I think miradu's conjecture that the treo can use the phone's RAM (assuming such exists) for the PalmOS info is a good explanation of this.

..It could also be that Handspring doesn't wan't to be forced into a 4.1 update, and so they lied.

..me, I think Miradu is probably right.
    Can anyone tell for sure if the update really is in ROM? I mean, if it survives a hard reset, there's really not other explanation, is there? Up until now, most updates have gone into RAM, and need to be restored after a hard reset.
    well, according to the article posted on this site, they're using the radio's flashable memory to store the update.

http://www.visorcentral.com/content/Stories/1437-1.htm
    Frankly I am VERY happy to see this. Not so much for the features it improves, but for the ability it proves we have..to update the software on our Treos. The biggest thing I always held against Handspring is they claimed they were ROM-only, meaning bugs etc could not be fix. And mind you, I don't care about PalmOS 4, it adds no significantly new features, in fact HS's improvements to 3.5 are more significant than palm's in 4.0. But for things like standby time, and whatever other bug fixes and (hopefully) feature improvements come in the future, I know I will be able to get them. I'm always an early adoptor, and hate to regret it for anything more than the price. So, a big thank you, Handspring.

Sadly it's only dated feb 5th..you'd think they would have made more improvements since then? I would have liked to see whatever those were in the update.
    The other bug is... as if there were not enough, if it is dated Feb 5, why the heck did it take almost TWO STINKING MONTHS to make it available? If I still had that 1st gen Treo that barely got through a day and had to wait this long... Oh well!

What REALLY TICKS ME OFF...

is having to see a guy as Geeky (techno) as Greg G eating crow!

What is this world coming to

Rod
    Last edited by Veloslave; 05/01/2002 at 04:51 PM.
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    Miradu: is the note about the radio ROM in the article conjecture or HS confirmed?

...2 months isn't too long to make sure that the average user won't muck up the very important update!
    Originally posted by Veloslave
    What REALLY TICKS ME OFF...
    is having to see a guy as Geeky as Greg G eating crow!
    All right, now the gloves are OFF!

You want geeky?

GregGaub bites the head off a chicken to scare away any potential combatants.

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sniffle sniffle.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    <- me eating crow.
    What pisses me off is not that Zsozso was telling the truth and now I have to admit he was right.
    That's alright Greg. I think Zsozso can forgive you if you'll just break your NDA and confirm whether or not the prototype 270 had a backlit keyboard. Isn't that right Zsozso?

(heck, I should probably be asking Zsozso to confirm since he seems to know things before everybody else does)
    The statement that I originally conjectured has been confirmed true by Handspring. The update is in fact flashed onto the Wavecomm's chip 4 MB? of flash RAM.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I've been reading posts mentioning people noticing that there are lots of new files on their Treo now. Is the update eating up any of the users RAM or is it ALL going on to the flash, just curious.

On a weird note, today I received my third unit to find that the flip cover did not close correctly, it almost seemed warped at the button end. No big, HS CS has #4 on the way. Another weird thing was that the new button markings on the "number" keys, you know the more noticble blue cresent? Well they seemed less noticeable than unit #2 but still (way) better than #1

The grooviest (by far!) little gadget to come along in years, it actually IS helping me get more organized and remember things!!!

Who knew??

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123