Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by zsozso
    but Treo has flash ROM.
    Not according to this Handspring FAQ.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  2.    #22  
    its not true!!!
    Treo has 2+4Mb flashable ROM, this path upgraded all ROM!!! my Treo was ROM (dated december) and now dated february!
    And of course it survives hard reset.

Zsolt
    You know what I'm starting to think. Handspring has found a way to be able to make the wavecomm chips flash ram available for the Palm OS to use. So they CAN jsut flash a Treo to fix problems - plus they don't need to have two flash chips (that's why the Treo has ROM) only one. I'm going to run that threoy by with HS. hmm...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    It's more likely that Handspring and their reps have a special device that they can plug a Treo into that has the proper power and software to be able to re-flash the ROM. I highly doubt, given the specs of the Treo, AND information I've received from reliable sources of my own (people at Handspring) that there's a patch or program that can just be loaded into the Treo and run, like some kind of JackFlash/FlashPro thing that updates the code on the ROM. The GPRS update will be an update to the radio ROM, which we already know is flashable.

To these people who claim to have had their Treo's FLASHED with a new OS, are you sure it's your original Treo? Did you actually SEE the procedure take place? Did you check the numbers on the inside of the SIM door to see if it's your Treo? Did you damage or mark your device such that you would know if it was replaced with another?

When I see a ROM updater on Handspring's site, then I'll STFU. Until then, I'm highly skeptical that what these people are claiming is true. Skeptical enough to call it a hoax. I'd sooner believe that they are just misunderstaning the situation, or are misrepresenting what they think they know.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  5.    #25  
    hmmmm, i can tell u what is my experience. I tought Treo has not flashable ROM, but this patch arrived and it upgraded the ROM.

It was very very strange, but its working. I had new ROM. The GPRS patch will be the same, its just a short patch. and it will update the ROM again...
    we will see it soon..

Zsolt
    Greg,

I was not given any patch or software to download and run. The guys at Grandtech said I had to go down with my physical unit, and the process took them around 15 minutes. They had to backup all my apps and then they did a restore (but I lost a lot of data and apps anyway). So you may be right that you can't just do this at home, I don't know. My knowledge of such things is zilch, but the unit is the same one as before. It was my very same original Treo that was "flashed" or whatever, and the various software versions changed. Grandtech also told me that the "upgrade" or whatever would survive a hard reset.

They also did mention that the software would be distributed by Handspring sooner or later, but they were not very clear or forthcoming in this respect.

So we are not pulling a hoax, just reporting our experiences.
  7.    #27  
    Yes, this patch is about 4Mb *.prc file so its not more than 5 minutes to install and everybody can do it by own..

Zsolt
    Originally posted by miradu
    You know what I'm starting to think. Handspring has found a way to be able to make the wavecomm chips flash ram available for the Palm OS to use. So they CAN jsut flash a Treo to fix problems - plus they don't need to have two flash chips (that's why the Treo has ROM) only one. I'm going to run that threoy by with HS. hmm...
    I think this is very likely. Did you hear back? Man, imagine being able to actually utilize the extra Flash space? I've only owned HS devices*, so that would be a new experience for me.

*Well, ok, I had a IIIe and a m100, but they don't count
    So, maybe the firmware update isn't vaporware. That remains to be seen.

I haven't seen any further discussion or proof of speakerphone availability while the call is connecting.
    This would be an actual verifiable improvement, proof that HS really is paying attention, and only two people claim to have it.

How 'bout it, folks? Does the speakerphone really come on before the other end answers? How does that work? Please share.

-G
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
    Mine is getting replaced and I should have the new unit in another day or two. I'll post any differences I find from my 2nd gen (old) to the new one asap.

I'm going on my third phone but it doesn't bother me much considering how well HS handles things when the chips are down.

Update coming soon, maybe in a new post.

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    The link to the updater is below

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8118

/Carl
    Carl
    (Treo 600) Treo 180, Visor Platinum, Visor Deluxe
    Can someone who runs the updater post what date the ROM is listed as? It's one of them wacky shortcuts to tell you. Mine is 1/xx/02 and I know the latest if 2/xx/02. However, the updater says it won't work for me as I have one of the newer units.
    Originally posted by miradu
    As far as we here at VisorCentral know it, there is no public, user flashable "patch" yet available for the Treo - I've heard it could be until june when that comes.
    Originally posted by testrmn
    The link to the updater is below:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8118
    Whoohoo whoohoo! I'm off to get it now!
    (Actually, the files themselves are here (at the bottom of the page), Carl's link is to the explanation of it.

Thanks Carl!!!
    Last edited by PDAENVY; 04/30/2002 at 04:44 PM.
    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff for the redirect. I followed my own link and only went to the explanation.
    Carl
    (Treo 600) Treo 180, Visor Platinum, Visor Deluxe
    Originally posted by sgruby
    Can someone who runs the updater post what date the ROM is listed as? It's one of them wacky shortcuts to tell you. Mine is 1/xx/02 and I know the latest if 2/xx/02. However, the updater says it won't work for me as I have one of the newer units.
    In the Updater app, it says
    Software Date Comparison:
    Updater: 3.5.2H4.0 2/5/02
    Device: 3.5.2H4.0 12/11/01
    and it seems to be working.
    Jeff
  16.    #36  
    As I told u guys, the patch is on the HS website in some days and now its there... Now anybody can download it., so dont need to ask for a replacement if u have an old treo, cause this patch make the newest treo from the old one..

zsolt)
    Originally posted by zsozso
    As I told u guys, zsolt)
    Oh, I bet you feel good now!

18.    #38  
    or u felt better 2 days ago when i wrote the patch will be available here in two days)))

Zsolt)
    If I had it, I would have shared it two days ago and/or have been a lot less evasive.

IMO

Go ahead zsozso, rub it in. I would if I were you... I was right behind you the whole time, man.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast