1.    #1  
    If all goes well, I'm going to pick up a Treo tomorrow at CompUSA while they're on sale for an amazing $549. (Boooo!)

Has anyone got any advice on starting out with it? Any software I should be downloading tonight to have ready to work on it?
    Do you need to buy it without a provider contract? If not, consider buying direct from handspring.com - I beleive you can pick one up for $399 w/ a 1 yr contract.

Also, consider the brookstone startac case mentioned elsewhere on these boards - it's very functional.

Scan these boards for software - the most important IMHO is the buttons-T progran to re-assign the buttons. Cell plan looks like it may be great.... You may want to poke around at Treo Mail from Handspring as well.

And enjoy!
    I also highly recommend Switcheroo (plus X-master - which it requires) if you're getting the keyboard version. Gives you access to all your favorite apps via 3 keypresses.

Paul
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by AbortRetryFail?
    Do you need to buy it without a provider contract? If not, consider buying direct from handspring.com - I beleive you can pick one up for $399 w/ a 1 yr contract.

Also, consider the brookstone startac case mentioned elsewhere on these boards - it's very functional.

Scan these boards for software - the most important IMHO is the buttons-T progran to re-assign the buttons. Cell plan looks like it may be great.... You may want to poke around at Treo Mail from Handspring as well.

And enjoy!
    Yeah I'm going to get one without service. I suppose I could cancel my voicestream account then start a new one, but that's a real pain in the you-know-what. (I wonder if they're figuring on that, and that's why its so much more expensive).

Thanks for the note on the star tac case I might have to try that
    If your current Voicestream account is for a phone with a SIM chip you shouldn't have to cancel your existing account. IIRC you can just swap the chip out of the phone & into your Treo.

<- uses Cingular, though, so I could be totally wrong.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by rluxemburg
    If your current Voicestream account is for a phone with a SIM chip you shouldn't have to cancel your existing account. IIRC you can just swap the chip out of the phone & into your Treo.

<- uses Cingular, though, so I could be totally wrong.
    Yup that's what I'm going to do - remove the SIM from my Nokia 3390 and use it in the Treo.