1.    #1  
    What's up with the great pricing on the Treo for the rest of the country, but no love for good old California?

1. Best Buy offers/has offered a $100 rebate, but only for Voicestream folks. (Outside CA)

2. Amazon offers a whopping $150 rebate w/activation, lowering the cost to a great $250, but only for Voicestream. (Outside CA)

3. Cingular Wireless in California finally offers the Treo, but they want an outrageous $550 WITH activation. What a rip!

So what's the story? Is there some conspiracy to keep cheap Treos out of CA or what?

It appears that right now, you can't get a Treo in CA, period, unless you're willing to pay $150 OVER retail!
    I hear you on the "no love for Cali" part.

Actually, you can get the Treo direct from the Handspring website (w/ free shipping)
    Is it still $550 if you order through Handspring's site, choosing Cingular as your provider? If so, then that really bites. It would appear then that Cingular isn't all that interested in supporting the Treo. The prices all come down to how much subsidy the wireless carrier will give to the retailer to make the sale. Apparently Voicestream is offering better subsidies to get more sales, and by virtue more wireless customers.
    Oh well.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Yes, Cingular is evil. But you can get a Treo for $399 from Handspring if you buy it through them and agree to a 1 year service plan w/Cingulame.
    Don't brand me as no stinkin "Cingular Lover" - but to be fair...

1) It's not Cingular's fault if Voicestream executes a "loss leader" marketing strategy to buy business. You can certainly blame Cingular for not doing the same - just like many folks blamed their local bookstores for not following in Amazon's "lose five dollars on every book we sell" strategy...

2) Cingular is VERY serious about supporting the treo - if we're really talking about providing services and capabilities tailored for this device. Examples: the seamless "MyWirelessWindow" connection that Cingular provides via the treo install, vs. the need to have a 3rd party ISP (or use unsupported ISDN schemes) with Voicestream; the Cingular Xpressmail offering which they're pitching as the killer app for treo. Maybe Voicestream needs to give away money because they can't offer these services.

They ain't perfect. They ARE a big telopoly (aka BellSouth). They DO want to turn a profit on us. But I've worked with their product managers and can attest that, at least at that level, they GET it regarding the treo (they gave my company a couple of loaners to prove how great treo + Cingular Xpressmail is).

That said, it is OUTRAGEOUS that they don't offer at least the $399 with activation deal directly...

Paul
    Also on the "to be fair" theme...

Cingular also provides the nice little voicemail icon when new voicemail is received, then it disappears after you've deleted your voicemails. From what I've read, it sounds like VS has to send an SMS or something...
    Originally posted by AbortRetryFail?
    Also on the "to be fair" theme...

Cingular also provides the nice little voicemail icon when new voicemail is received, then it disappears after you've deleted your voicemails. From what I've read, it sounds like VS has to send an SMS or something...
    But is that feature worth the $250-$300 price difference? NIMB
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    But is that feature worth the $250-$300 price difference? NIMB
    Amen. I totally agree. As I said, I was simply following up on Paul's points. Basically the market dictates what is bought and sold by good old supply and demand. Would I rather save $300 bucks and get an SMS, sure. Again, the marketplace rules (and so do ex-baby bells that pretend they are not a monopoly).

Yikes, I can tell this is going to send me into a rant about "free markets", government regulation, capitalism, and "true democracies." I best calm down...
    So, as an alternative, can I arrange to have friend who lives on the east coast buy me phone there, but use it in the Bay Area?

Will data connections still work?
    Assuming I get a nation-wide plan, is there any down-side
    (Aside from people calling me needing to dial long-distance)?
    I just check Cingulars website for SoCal - the Treo is now listed at: $449 with activation.
    Cool!
    While $50 more than handspring, it does allow you to pick the $19.99/month plan, and get the free wireless internet promotion.

One Year Cost @ Handspring = 29.99*12+399 = $760
    One Year Cost @ Cingular = 19.99*12+449 = $690

Although the Cingular $19.99 plan has hardly any minutes.
    In my experience, I've been able to change my service plan to anything the carrier currently offers once I have the phone, just by calling the carrier (in my case Cingular) and asking. Cingular had several more favorable packages than Handspring offered when I bought my treo 2 months ago - I just called Cingular the day I received it and asked to switch to a plan listed on their website - they gave me no pushback.

Paul
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    What is 'Cingular Xpressmail'? Is this only availabe if you have GPRS in your area?
    Originally posted by wshwe
    What is 'Cingular Xpressmail'? Is this only availabe if you have GPRS in your area?
    You can find out more about Xpressmail at http://www.cingular.com/bus_solution/bus_xpressmail
    It's not dependent on GPRS - only that your phone have internet connectivity. Note that this is an "online" email service - it has nothing to do with syncing, push, etc. But it provides easy access to corporate Exchange email servers without your PC needing to be on the network all the time.

It eats airtime like a Great Dane goin' through Alpo - but it works.

Paul