1.    #1  
    Howdy
    I am looking in to buying a Treo to use on business trips and I am looking for some feed back from business users. First, my company uses microsoft outlook with a MS exchange server (please hold all boo's till the end of the post.) and as I understand the new Treo mail program will be able to talk to the exchange server. I am looking for feed back from anyone that has been able to use this feature. Second, are you able to sync the Treo with your work computer while on the road? This is some what a two part question: 1) Can you sync with your work computer while using a company dial up access? 2) Can you sync using a third party dial up or direct connect with moble phone company? i.e. can the treo talk through a firewall. Last, while using an exchange server, i.e. outlook, where all data is stored on a server and not on your personal work computer, can one sync with the exchange server even though ones work computer is turned off? Thanks for any and all help with these questions.

Scott Wharton
    swharton@exponent.com
    I was able to connect to my windows NT office network using WINDOWS RAS service in preferences. For connection use wireless modem to modem. For user name if u have a domain specify domain\username.

My company uses exchange server for mails. But I when I was configuring onetouch mail(which comes free with treo) I gave my exchange server name when it asked for POP3 server and it was able to pull all my mails from INBOX. I was really surprised. But for sending mails you have to specify a proper SMTP server. You can't specify exchange server for SMTP because it looks for some additional authentication. If you have some unix or some other SMTP system in your office network then give that name.

When you pull mails make sure that u don't have tons of mails in your INBOX. Or first download the headers only and then choose the mails you want to pull.

I know my company has firewall but I did'nt have any problems with RAS connection. You can give it a try.
    1) Can you sync with your work computer while using a company dial up access?
    Yes - network hotsync is supported on Treo but it is slow on CSD networks so you should choose which conduits are active selectively. A firewall may prevent access - your IT admin should be able to provide a proxy access point. You have to dial your desktop computer or a gateway modem on the network. Network HotSync works via TCP/IP so your network must support this protocol.

2) Can you sync using a third party dial up or direct connect with moble phone company? i.e. can the treo talk through a firewall.

Treo Mails biggest feature IMHO is the ability to talk straight thru firewalls in the Corporate edition. The mails are encrypted in transit, storage and thru to the Exchange server so there is no security risk. OneTouch Mail as described in the last call is only useful for non firewalled POP3 servers.

In the future, GPRS and 1xRTT networks will predominantly supply an IP feed to the customer from the wireless service provider. This means that VPN on wireless networks will become a vital component for receiving corporate mail and corporate information. VPN Software already exists for Palm OS. I think it will become hard to dial your RAS in the future directly on a wireless device unless of course you are willing to use the old CSD dialup network at 9600 which the networks may allow to wither away once they have the 2.5 and 3G services fully up and running.
  4.    #4  
    I wish to thank you both for posting. I found both replys to be very informative and has further pushed me towards purchasing a Treo. Thanks again!

Scott Wharton
    swharton@exponent.com
    BUT, understand that TreoMail DOES require your PC to be on and connected to the network to perform this miraculous firewall friendly email forwarding to the treo. If you don't want to (or can't) leave your machine on your desk to do this, you'll be disappointed with TreoMail. Visto (the maker of TreoMail) offers an "enterprise" version that requires your IT-types to install software on a server to accomplish the same function...

If you're a Cingular customer, take a look at their Xpressmail service...

Paul
  6.    #6  
    Ok, let me see if I got this straight: If I get a Treo from say sprint (I know that it is not out yet) and take their digital plan (and therefore sprint is my ISP?), I can use the Treomail program to recieve my e-mail. This is assuming that my computer is on and running, otherwise, I need the IT department to install another program. Does that sound right?

Second question: (Since you guys are doin a great job) If I connect through "sprint" to the internet, can I sync (i.e. update my calendar, notes, tasks, and contacts) with outlook using the exchange server or does Treomail only cover the e-mail portion of outlook.

Thanks in advance for any more information.

Scott Wharton
    swharton@exponent.com
    Originally posted by swharton
    [B]Ok, let me see if I got this straight: If I get a Treo from say sprint (I know that it is not out yet) and take their digital plan (and therefore sprint is my ISP?), I can use the Treomail program to recieve my e-mail. This is assuming that my computer is on and running, otherwise, I need the IT department to install another program. Does that sound right?
    That's correct, assuming that Sprint will have the same kind of ISP connectivity that Cingular offers today (but that Voicestream doesn't). A pretty reasonable assumption, but who knows??? And that the "other program" - Visto - costs $$$.

Second question: (Since you guys are doin a great job) If I connect through "sprint" to the internet, can I sync (i.e. update my calendar, notes, tasks, and contacts) with outlook using the exchange server or does Treomail only cover the e-mail portion of outlook.
    Well, Treomail only deals with email, not the other stuff. Provided you can work out the firewall/proxy issues with your IT folks, you should be able to actually sync the other stuff using plain old Palm network hotsync (in fact, you can sync email this way also and circumvent TreoMail). But Treomail will perform better, etc. Although with big honkin' Spring 3G bandwidth, network hotsyncs may be pretty darn good...

Paul
  8.    #8  
    Paul;
    Will I need my computer turned on for the sync or can the treo sync with the exchange server? (my guess is that I need my computer on.)

Scott Wharton
    swharton@exponent.com
    Hotsync requires your PC to be running on the network.