Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well I hope you never find yourself snowed in or otherwise stuck at a terminal, train station, mall, etc. You'd be wishing you had something to watch then.
    Whoever posted that video helped me prove my point, all those games demoed have tap/click controls. There are games that actually utilize the keyboard and even in combination with a mouse. Those games will be very difficult to play, especially since there are no arrow keys on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    People keep talking about HTML5, but the fact is many browsers don't support it. It's sad, but although old old old pita IE6 is dying, it still has about 20% market share. Websites won't convert to HTML5, while most people can't even use it and Flash has like 97% market share. Supporting two standards will be too costly for most companies and they'll have to convert all their video content.

Secondly, the HTML5 specs aren't even finished and won't be for some time. That, plus the future most popular browser (not my opinion, just is) IE8 doesn't support it. If IE9 will is another question entirely.

And lastly, they can't decide (agree) on the video codec. If the future is different codecs for different computers (Mac/PC) and different browsers (Firefox/Chrome/IE/Safari) there's no question Flash (with almost 100% penetration) will survive for a long time..
    The iWhatevers are going to be out on their own pretty much re flash. Flash 10 is coming to other mobile operating systems (Windows Mobile, Android and S60/Symbian) too. So pretty much all smartphone platforms will have it... but not a single one from apple. You've got to wonder whether it's arrogance or stupidity on their part. Steve Jobs did say that "people don't read anymore" and then along comes the bookstore. So make your own minds up on that one

I groaned when I heard about SC flashing (pun intended) an ipad. Your choice of gadget really does say something about you... well, to anyone who's overly obsessive about gadgets anyway!
    On the HTML5 thing, I use Office 2007. Every time I send a spreadsheet I have to convert it to 97 format. Why? Because companies do not want to pay to update. So, if we use this time frame, then the iPad will be relevant in what 12 years??? Cool, I need one...
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    the point is now vs future . the fact is most websites use Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    the point is now vs future . the fact is most websites use Flash.
    http://i27.tinypic.com/2mrb210.jpg
    in the year 3000, in the year 3000!

internet explorer will finally support open web standards like HTML5

ipad however, will still be unable to play hulu

in the year 3000
    There are four lights.
    Sigh. You know the one thing that almost as bad as a ******? The "let's jump on the ******-hating bandwagon" nuts.

Love how this thread went from talking about advertising stunts Palm should use to why the iPad sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Sigh. You know the one thing that almost as bad as a ******? The "let's jump on the ******-hating bandwagon" nuts.

Love how this thread went from talking about advertising stunts Palm should use to why the iPad sucks.

it went from prominent comedians and the ipod, to, well another prominent comedian and the ipad.

whats wrong with that?
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    "honey, does this make me look cool?"

She shook her head in disgust! LOL

ipad.....waste of money piece of crap!
    Then don't buy it who asking? in the world too many thing which I don't like but I'm not comment all the time about them. You don't like somebody likes and you have to respect other members. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    it went from prominent comedians and the ipod, to, well another prominent comedian and the ipad.

whats wrong with that?
    Sorry, missed your post. At least you brought it full circle
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post

Can you imagine playing any of those racing games with that 1.5 lbs thing in your hand? I suppose it's a good work out!

I just don't get it....I really don't.
    Nope , you got it , its a workout machine.
    Its amazing way to play games. It will transform the gaming experience buy putting magical pressure on the hands.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    in the year 3000, in the year 3000!

internet explorer will finally support open web standards like HTML5

ipad however, will still be unable to play hulu

in the year 3000
    Nope , Flash is bad code, it will crash the iPad. Don't we prefer open standards like HTML5 compared to the proprietary technology like Flash ?

OBTW, there are exceptions to the rule, so we should stick to APPLE proprietary i(Tunes+Work+Phone+Pad+Pod). Because the magical experience you get from using them is worth the exception.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    At one point everyone had SDTVs, now everyone has the newer more expensive HDTVs. As technology progresses, the more common older technology will eventually die off. VHS > DVD > Bluray..
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    At one point everyone had SDTVs, now everyone has the newer more expensive HDTVs. As technology progresses, the more common older technology will eventually die off. VHS > DVD > Bluray..
    I didn't buy blu ray because i expect (and do) to stream HD.

alot of that is flash based.
    There are four lights.
    I think Flash as a whole is on limited time as far as web presence goes. By limited time though, I mean years. I think the ipad looks like fun but again it comes down to a company deciding what is best for me. All I want is the option for flash and with that the option to turn it off. I hope the Pre will give you that option too.

I thought the use of Colbert and the Grammy's for promotion was brilliant for Apple. I still wonder if that was a real ipad or just a mock up Apple made for that stunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/images/...ad-400x267.jpg

Who wouldn't want one of these? C'mon.
    What? A Stephen Colbert? I'll pass, thanks...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    just saw Stephen Colbert on grammys promoting the apple ipad. why doesn't palm do stuff like this?
    Because Apple NEEDS a celebrity to promote their crappy gimmick. Have you seen the impressions from tech sites? It's a joke.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Nope , Flash is bad code, it will crash the iPad. Don't we prefer open standards like HTML5 compared to the proprietary technology like Flash ?
    Just because it crashes the iPad doesn't mean it's bad code. More than likely it means the iPad is garbage because it can't even run Flash. Steve Jobs pulled that ridiculous argument a couple of days back, saying whenever a Mac crashes it's usually because of Flash. Sorry, my mac at work crashes all the time just fine all by itself. Sometimes I don't even have to do anything. My PC, however, has never, EVER had a single problem with Flash. The same exact Flash site that made my Mac at work take a dump ran PERFECTLY on my 8-year old home PC. But hey, the iPad will make an awesome blue lego viewer, I suppose.
    Last edited by Eazy123; 02/01/2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Apple don't need jack because they don't have a userbase, they have apostles.

That's also why I think their HTML5 gambit might work out in the end. With enough rabid Apple believers complaining to content providers about why their stupid content won't show up on their shiny iThingy, with millions of iPod touches and iPhones out on the market, with an iPad that's going to sell better than hotcakes and asian hookers combined despite its glaring shortcomings, it's not a hard jump to imagine enterprising companies doing the Apple crowd a solid and jumping to HTML5, at which point everyone else will implement HTML5 because they can't be in the old-fashioned flash minority (that's actually a majority but won't appear to be thanks to advertising and spin created by apple-loving media) and BAM!, Apple single-handedly innovated the entire internet and anybody who didn't pledge allegiance in the beginning was only a pessimistic square.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    That's actually quite true, in a scary way. Less than 10% of computer users are Mac users, and yet somehow, Steve Jobs could have everyone believe Flash is outdated and they'd march straight to whatever he says to march to. And only because of what comes out of Jobs's mouth. Last year he said nobody reads, regarding the Kindle. Now looky! It's a wonderful iPad that's perfect for reading books on!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast