1.    #1  
    I've noticed a few odd behaviors with a headset plugged in (either the one that comes with it or a Jabra EarSet for the Nokia 8800 series with the on/off button).

1) If I'm on the speed dial page and the headset is plugged in, closing the lid dials the phone.

2) If I'm in a call and I plug in the headset, the phone hangs up.

Both of these behaviors are pretty bad. Is this just me or are others seeing it? The second one is probably due to unwanted electrical contact when plugging in the headset.

Sometimes I like to leave my headset plugged in which causes the first one to be a problem and sometimes I plug in the headset during a call which causes the second one to be a problem.
    #1 is probably due to the cover hitting the space bar if you flip it down too quickly. Do it slowly and gently and see if it still makes the call. If it does, get a hold of Handsrping for a new Treo, 'cus that's not right.

#2 is as you guessed, unwanted electrical connection while plugging in the headset. I'm guessing this is a problem unique to the headsets with the answer/end button. That button sends an interrupted signal to the device, which the device interprets in the way appropriate to the current call situation. If you're in a call, it will hang up that call. If the phone is ringing, I'm betting it will answer the call. I doubt there's anyway to prevent this given the speed of electricity. There's no way you could plug it in fast enough to avoid that signal interruption without being lucky. This doesn't happen with your motorola (or whatever) because it doesn't have that feature. :\

I did a test real quick and noticed that you can cancel a call in progress (before it connects) by hitting the answer/end button on the headset cord. So if #1 happens again, just hit the button real quick and the call will end... though that first ring went through on both my tries, so whoever gets the accidental call might be pissed at you later. LOL ;-)

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by GregGaub
    #1 is probably due to the cover hitting the space bar if you flip it down too quickly. Do it slowly and gently and see if it still makes the call. If it does, get a hold of Handsrping for a new Treo, 'cus that's not right.
    You're absolutely right. I just tried it and see the difference. I always let it slam shut. Kind of annoying that I have to close it slowly.

#2 is as you guessed, unwanted electrical connection while plugging in the headset. I'm guessing this is a problem unique to the headsets with the answer/end button. That button sends an interrupted signal to the device, which the device interprets in the way appropriate to the current call situation. If you're in a call, it will hang up that call. If the phone is ringing, I'm betting it will answer the call. I doubt there's anyway to prevent this given the speed of electricity. There's no way you could plug it in fast enough to avoid that signal interruption without being lucky. This doesn't happen with your motorola (or whatever) because it doesn't have that feature. :\

I did a test real quick and noticed that you can cancel a call in progress (before it connects) by hitting the answer/end button on the headset cord. So if #1 happens again, just hit the button real quick and the call will end... though that first ring went through on both my tries, so whoever gets the accidental call might be pissed at you later. LOL ;-)

-Greg
    Thanks for the tip about cancelling the call. I think that as long as I plug the headset in while the call is ringing, I'm ok. It really sucks about the electrical contact as I'm very used to plugging in the headset when the call is in use. An alternative (not a good one) is to disable the button completely (via software). I accidentally did this the other day trying to do something else.
    I just thought of this but haven't tried it.
    What happens if you put the call on hold, then put the headset in? Either the interruption will be ignored, or maybe it will take the call off hold, but I don't think it will hang up the call.
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
  5.    #5  
    Excellent! I just tried this and plugging in the headset did nothing. I hit the hold button, plugged in the headset and hit the unhold (or whatever it is called) button and was back on the call.

Thanks for the idea!
    Yes! I was just going to say there's nothing you can do, most 3rd party headsets will send the button signal when inserted. But great idea, just put it on hold... Ideas like this are exactly why I read this forum!

I wish the treo software was changed so that, when detecting the headphone is inserted, the button is ignored for like a second. It would solve the problem alltogether.