Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    what does everyone have against Handspring's Treo Action Pack Case?

I've detected lots of negativity but no specifics - and I really need a case! what are the reviews? what's better and why? thanks....
    Well, it looks pretty freaking ugly for starters. And huge.

Everyone seems to love the Brookstone case (including myself).

But I just ordered the Case Techworks convertible case w/belt clip. Nobody seems to have tried that one yet, so for $30 (no tax, shipping is free) I figured I'd be the guinea pig.

Brookstone Case

Case Techworks
    I have only one good thing to say about the Action Pack case... I sold mine on EBay for $53.00.

Still flapping with that Brookstone case!
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Fleischner, if you get a chance, can you post a review of the CaseTechWorks case after you receive it? Their website photos and description leave a LOT to be desired. I am considering the case, but haven't been willing to leap yet.

Oh, by the way, Bruce, I have been converted. I'm now a Tucker!

Jeff
    But of course I will!

As for the Brookstone issue, I just can't convince myself to tuck. In the few cases I need to have the flap, it's nice to have it available. I know I can just temporarily tuck, but then the exposed "hook" part of the Velcro grabs all kinds of lint and junk from, say, a sweatshirt that's covering the case and my belt. I wish it were a snap instead of Velcro.

Okay, we have way too much time on our hands...
    TuckTuckTuckTuckTuckTuckTuckTuck

An extra little piece of "loop type" velcro, stuck to the "hook" piece on the Brookstone case, allows temporary tuckin' without the fussin'. (read: no lint & junk stuck in the hooks...).

Just pull it off and pocket it when you want to use the flap.

Paul
    Interesting, but I'm not convinced. I yearn for simplicity, not extra steps or things to carry. That's why I chose the Treo-- I don't need to carry a phone *and* a PDA.

But hey, to each his own. Have a blast.
    Uh-oh. I just ordered a HS case because I had tried a Google search on ďtreo caseĒ and didnít find much Ė guess that was too narrow. However, the HS case looks like it could suit my tastes for casual use Ė I want it pretty padded and protective when I am not using it. On the other hand, when I am using it I like the (small) feel of the treo and am willing to take the (small) risk of holding it securely au naturel. At the low price, the Brookstone case sounds like itís worth buying and using for other uses. (Iím surprised they will work on treos - I thought Star-Tacís were smaller.)
    Iím surprised they will work on treos - I thought Star-Tacís were smaller.
    StarTacs must really swim in that Brookstone case, because it's actually a bit too big for the Treo (which happens to allow for "the tuck").

By the way, Paul and Fleischner, I am a "temporary" tucker. I love the security of flapping, but find it a bit inconvenient to always have to unflap when removing the Treo. So, temporary tucking allows for a quick draw, with the ability to make the Treo more secure with a quick flap if desired.

Jeff
    I too jumped on the Brookstone case bandwagon at an early stage. I can't bring myself to tuck though.....

My complaint with the HS case is that the opening for the antena forces the Treo to sit backward. As the vibrating alert is already weak, it's very hard to tell since the vibrating part is now facing away from the body.
    I like it !!! its a little big and the phone does face backwards but that also protects the screen its padded for drops. I have grown to love it (yea yea)
    I put a small swivel clip in the loop it is just right......yes I love hs stuff it just cool it has a little pocket for the earbud and my micro maglite for pm use. It's not for executives but who cares they can buy a high end case.
    Ok, I'm a slacker. I've made a small test piece of my future case to see how the molding around the Treo will work, but I haven't gotten down to making the actual case yet. But, I got tired of not having an actual case for my baby. I heard about the Brookstone long ago when it was first posted, but the nearest store to me is a good 30 minute drive in good traffic, and I didn't want to order on-line, and I wanted to make my own case... but today I broke down and drove up to the mall with the store and got the darned case.

As you guessed, I'm quite happy. Currently, I'm a "flapper." I've tried the tucking, but I feel as if someone will grab it out as I brush by them, or that it might come out if I run or fall (which don't happen often, but you never know ;-). I think I'll employ the "tuck" during my SeaPUG meetings, as I'm sure to be taking it out and putting it away quite often during the meetings.

1) fits wonderfully. It's almost creepy how well it fits, but that's what elastic is for, I guess. This would fit a StarTac fine, since the sides have a tendency to fold inwards without the Treo in it, but are flexible enough to fold outwards when the Treo is in it.
    2) pocket is not too deep to block the headset jack. I haven't tried keeping my headset plugged in while using the case, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
    3) very good quality. nice stitching, good leather, discreet use of elastic for the gussets.
    4) tasteful color (black), very professional looking, and the small Brookstone embossing is not gawdy or distracting.

Dislikes:
    1) The flap could be a little longer, only another 1/8 or 1/4 inch would be good, with the velcro going to the edge of it so that it holds down better
    2) could be more snug, for those "tuckers" out there.
    3) the antenna cutout is good, but it could be just a little bigger. I have to consciously make sure the flap is not going to catch the antenna when I take it out of the case, and sometimes the antenna can impede the closing of the flap for a second while you make sure it goes around it.
    4) I wish the pocket were just a little shallower, so that I can get a better grip on the top of the Treo. Currently, I fear that with only a couple fingers doing the gripping, it might be more likely to slip from my grasp.

I'm also looking forward to a casetechworks Treo case, and will also post my opinions on this board (as a link to a review, most likely).

So, chalk me up as a "flapper"... at least until I get off my sorry **** and make my own case. ;-)
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    I registered my new treo and ordered the action pack case with the $10 coupon. I thought action pack case was the only one available for treo. Now after seeing the brookstone casetechworks cases I'm not sure which one to order. Since I'm going for a new one can u give some suggestions ?
    You really can't go wrong with the Brookstone case. It's not specifically made for the Treo. It's just a universal "micro" cell phone case, but it fits the Treo like a glove. While I had a couple gripes about it, they really are very minor, and I love the case. At $12.50 (plus tax and stuff if appropriate) it's a great deal.

As for the CaseTechWorks and other cases, you might want to wait for user reviews.... unless money is no object. If you can afford to buy tons of cases just to find one you like, then by all means, buy them all and let us know all about them.

As for the action pack case, most complaints I see are just about its looks. If you like the way it looks, then I'm sure you'll be happy with it as a case. Then again, I haven't yet read a full-out review of that case.

-Greg
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll go with the brookstone case. As for the action pack case I'm planning to send it back when it arrives.
    I have my eye on the swivel clip holster from Promax Wireless http://www.promaxwireless.com/showroom2/holster.htm.

If anyone has some experience with their clip for other PDAs I would love some feedback before I take the leap and buy.
    Originally posted by jrsites

StarTacs must really swim in that Brookstone case, because it's actually a bit too big for the Treo (which happens to allow for "the tuck").

By the way, Paul and Fleischner, I am a "temporary" tucker. I love the security of flapping, but find it a bit inconvenient to always have to unflap when removing the Treo. So, temporary tucking allows for a quick draw, with the ability to make the Treo more secure with a quick flap if desired.

Jeff
    Now I'm getting confused. I didn't match up the model number, but the product name, looks and price all match the one I got at Brookstone. However, the case is difinitely NOT too big for a treo - it's in there quite tight, the sides bulge out, and the velcro tab actually comes up a bit short. (And the cut-out for the antenna is just a little too small.)

Nevertheless, it is very nice, especially for the price. Thanks to those who let us know about it.
    Originally posted by marco
    Now I'm getting confused. I didn't match up the model number, but the product name, looks and price all match the one I got at Brookstone. However, the case is difinitely NOT too big for a treo - it's in there quite tight, the sides bulge out, and the velcro tab actually comes up a bit short. (And the cut-out for the antenna is just a little too small.)
    No, that sounds like the right one. It shouldn't be too bad, though. I wouldn't really call it tight, but you're right about the antenna cut-out being just a hair small, and the velcro tab also being slightly short, but it still holds well. The antenna cutout is probably one reason for the "tucker" philosphy.
    As Friar Tuck-er, I agree that the not-quite-perfect antenna notch and flap length was one factor leading me to form the "tucker" movement. But the real driver was the "quick draw" capability.

Also, note that the case stretches a good bit over the first few weeks you use it. Mine is significantly less snug than it was when new. Not "loose" - though it might be if I didn't have the flap glued inside...

Paul
    I think you've got the right one. the Treo is a bit wider than the case, and the antennae cutout is a bit small, and the velcro doesn't quite reach all the way. What I was referring to, however, was the "thickness" (the distance from the back of the case to the front, which is technically the depth, but a lot of people think of the depth as the distance from the top to the bottom of the case, which is technically the height, so to save confusion........oh, am I rambling? Sorry.). The case is thicker than the Treo, which is what makes "tucking" possible. I don't remember for sure, but it seems to me a StarTac isn't any thicker than a Treo, so I'd imagine it's pretty loose in the case if you "flap" it with the StarTac.

Jeff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast