1.    #1  
    Where you are roaming internationally, what do you need to do with the treo to automatically add a "+" to the number you are calling?

-kO
    ---
    keepOnkeepingOn
    If you travel internationally, you should always store all your numbers in the "+country area phone" format. GSM is clever enough that it will work out the proper information at dial time, and you'll be charged correctly.

So, for a NY number 212 555 1212, store it in the treo as +1 212 555 1212.

For my London ISDN number, you'd put +44 20 8880 5903.

Then if you're in the US, and dial that London number, you'd get the same as dialling 011 44 20 8880 5903. And if you did it from Paris, Treo would be dialling 00 44 20 8880 5903. Get to the UK, and it's the same as dialling 020 8880 5903. And try to dial the US number from Europe, and the + turns into 00, giving 00 1 212 555 1212.

So, always store a US number as +1 followed by area code and number. And other international ones as +country code followed by area code (omitting the leading 0, except in the case of Russia and one or two other places), then the local number.

If you store all numbers like this, they'll always work wherever you are. If you need to change them in bulk, it's probably easiest to do that via the Palm Desktop and re-sync.

Nigel.
  3. wjs
    Nigel, thanks for that explanation. All my calls are domestic for the time being, but I have cut and pasted your post into a memo on my Treo for future reference.
    Bill Spencer
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Ditto!
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
  5.    #5  
    nigel,

good tip. can i ask you how to add a "+" to every number via palm desktop. You mentioned in your post that this could be done in bulk.

-kO
    ---
    keepOnkeepingOn
    Well, it's going to be a bit of a slog, but there are import and export options in Palm Desktop, so I'd export all the address book entries as a text file, then do a search and replace in a program of your choice, and re-import them.

Of course, exactly what search and replace you do will depend on how you've entered the information in the first place and the types of numbers you have in there.

If everyone in the address book is in the US and you've been consistent with either 10 digits, or 11 digits for all the numbers, then it's dead easy - stick +1 in front in the first case, or just + for the second.

However (maybe americans don't have this problem so much...) I have numbers that have been entered in all sorts of ways. Some already have the + format, especially if I used GSMtool to read them from my mobile. Others might begin 020 .... But that could mean a couple of things - if the 020 is followed by 7 digits, it's most likely (for me, anyway) to be an Amsterdam number, hence needs to be changed to +31 20. But if it's followed by eight, then it'll be a London number, which is +44 20.

Something beginning 06 is probably a Dutch mobile, but not necessarily. And is that number that starts 33 a French one that I've missed the + off, or something else, like an Italian mobile that's missing it's country code?

And then there might be the numbers that I've not got round to updating, because I know (since I grew up there) that if I've got a Winchester address stored with the code 0962 and a four figure number that the code is now 01962 (or +441962) and the number has had 85 added to the front.

What I'm saying is that yep, you can do this in bulk, as a batch. But before you do, you need to be really sure that you understand the data and it's all been consistently entered, otherwise you could end up with some completely messed up entries.

Personally, unless you really do know that everything entered in your address book can be looked at as a number in a standard format, with no added context given by the actual address, I'd open the list in Palm Desktop, and go through each one by hand.

And if you've just bought a Treo and don't have much data in it yet, USE THE INTERNATIONAL NUMBER FORMAT FROM DAY ONE!!!

Nigel.
    Originally posted by nwhitfield
    If you travel internationally, you should always store all your numbers in the "+country area phone" format. GSM is clever enough that it will work out the proper information at dial time, and you'll be charged correctly.
    Is the "+" dialing prefix recognized by all GSM providers?

Cingular says:

Q: How do I make international long distance calls?
    A: To make an international long distance call from your wireless phone, dial 011 + country code + city/area code (if applicable) + local telephone number. Press Send or Talk.
    T-Mobile specified that one should use "+". Actually T-Mobile customer service said one could use either "+" or "011".

Cingular CS said "yes, I think you can only use 011 and not +. Since she didn't sound so certain I was hoping someone here knows.

I'm pretty sure that's a standard but does anybody know of a GSM network that does not recognize the "+" dialing prefix?