Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    WebOS on a slate device would own face.

Palm has an opening here, and if their next device isn't a slate of some kind, i'm going to be massively disappointed.

That is all.
    I'll get it over quick for you then. It's not going to be a slate.
  3.    #3  
    That's really too bad.

The problem with Apple's take is the OS. (The name isn't helping matters either).

WebOS multitasking on a similar device? Yes please.

Palm has a huge opening here, no matter the device. It's readily apparent to me Apple is running out of steam on the innovation side.
    Palm isn't about that kind of device, they are a dedicated Smart-phone device. Maybe in a few more years.

But you should take a look and Microsoft's Courier, it's genius (especially compared to the iPad now).

But yeah the iPad is just a really bulky iPhone without the phone.
    I'll reiterate some of the comments made by the Engadget folks on their podcast. Tablets/slates is a hard product to sell because they are an in-between product. If you have a 7-8" device, you can't do much more than a touchscreen phone. If it's 10", why not just get a laptop, especially since price is a huge factor with the large capacitive screens.

Tablets/slates (without physical keyboards) CANNOT be a primary computer, so it ends up being a costly device that will end up staying in the home most of the time due to size and being used on the couch while watching TV.

These are highly niche devices. In all honesty, I think only Apple would be able to pull this off due to their fan base that generally has the money to spend. But by "pulling it off", I mean that this may be the best of the failed tablets/slates.
    Palm can't compete there. It will take a lot from even Apple to even make their version successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm can't compete there. It will take a lot from even Apple to even make their version successful.
    IDK, I'd bet that if Palm made a tablet (and i hope they don't) I'd be able to listen to Pandora while reading a ebook. That wouldn't be too hard, would it apple?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Let's get an official virtual keyboard first...
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    IDK, I'd bet that if Palm made a tablet (and i hope they don't) I'd be able to listen to Pandora while reading a ebook. That wouldn't be too hard, would it apple?
    LOL..yep.
    apple can sink money in that thing because they own the fans, and lets be real, that iPad is really leave a lot to be desired.

WebOS sure does better on such a device, however, I dont see palm can throw money in that thing.

Tablet is not selling well for a reason, apple has fans and money in the bank, Palm can't afford to waste money.

Its easier to get a PrePDA out, just grab a pre and strip the cell radio. since a Pre costs $140 for palm to made, just sell it for $250 will make decent money.
    Global Posts
    531 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    I'm sure the iPod works in the backgrounds, and since it runs on the iPhone OS you will be able to jailbreak it to do what you please...just backup then restore before bringing it in to "renew" your warranty.
    Prefolio would be nice though
    I honestly think a tablet any tablet like the ipad is just not funtional its too awkward its not poketable. the scrren is always exposed leading to unprotection. I dont think it will sell well and i definitly dont think palm should get into to making tablets its just not practical or honestly functional. Just looks lie a big digital portrait that belongs on an wall.

Now what they should do is make a a phone with a 3.7-4.3 display like the hd2 and tout it as a full featured multimedia device. That would definitely sell. We already have the candy bar we already have the slide out keyboard all we need is a slate device with a much bigger display.
    Well, this was quite an announcement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rashad1 View Post
    I'm sure the iPod works in the backgrounds, and since it runs on the iPhone OS you will be able to jailbreak it to do what you please...just backup then restore before bringing it in to "renew" your warranty.
    Tough dai, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There's nothing about WebOS that would lead anyone to believe that it would run well on a slate
    Reeeally?
    Last edited by mafia; 01/27/2010 at 03:53 PM.
    /EU/GR/
    iPad might be cool for some, but I gotta say one thing: I'm kinda tired of all the "i" names. Serious. It's like Jobs wakes up from sleeping in his iBed, brushes his teeth with his iToothbrush, takes a quick iDump, eats his iBreakfast, then drives to iWork in his iCar. Anyone else tired of the names?
    Yeah i'm sick of the i as well but I think they should've put a little more work in the iPad name, possibly searching youtube would've helped there.
    I don't get the hype (other than it's Apple and Steve Jobs). These tablet devices have been out before. I don't carry a lap top because it is too big. I love my phone (aka hand held entertainment center) because I can carry it comfortably in my pocket. Why the heck would I carry around some big, ugly looking screen thing? I think the future is in more cell phone development. My first phone weighed like 3 lbs and had a very small grey screen with darker gray characters (#'s only). It was the coolest thing at the time. Now look at the Pre...I can't even list all the things I use it for but here are some examples;

Games
    Camera/Video
    TV
    Internet
    Email
    Texting
    Calendar
    Music
    Navigation
    Apps (like weather and the news)
    And many more, just can't think of them all right now.

Oh and I can also call people on it!

Why the heck would I carry around some big, un-portable device that can do less than a device that can fit in the palm of my hand?

Bottom line, not impressed. Give me my Pre and I am a happy man.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    I think today's iPad introduction demonstrates one thing...
    That apple has lost its touch. iPad = fail.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    That's really too bad.

The problem with Apple's take is the OS. (The name isn't helping matters either).

WebOS multitasking on a similar device? Yes please.

Palm has a huge opening here, no matter the device. It's readily apparent to me Apple is running out of steam on the innovation side.
    Just to note, the iPad runs on iPhone OS so as the iPhone goes, so does the pad. Mac World is next week, be patient.

Tablets are not for you or me, they're for the netbook crowd, and where the netbook fails, the iPad will shine. Namely older users, who still can't get the hang of a mouse, much less a nub, or touch pad. I'm getting one for my grandfather, who has never owned a computer. This is the first device I believe will make it easy for him to join us in the 21st century.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast