Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    All I gotta say is... Newton 2
    The iPhone and iPod Touch were the Newton 2s. They did a little better than the Newton 1. We are talking 3rd generation with the iPad. Who even has a chance of Touching Apple now?
    I meant that as an insult. The ipad is a 10 inch ipod touch with less functionality than a netbook, what niche were they going for exactly?

If the iphone and ipod touch were Newton 2 then this is at best Newton 2.5
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I have been asking for the Joo Joo (a slate, tablet, etc. search google) with webOS for a really long time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I have been asking for the Joo Joo (a slate, tablet, etc. search google) with webOS for a really long time now.
    I just googled it and Wow, the Joojoo makes the ipad look even more like a joke. It has everything the ipad has (as well as A lot it doesn't) except for a piece of fruit on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Joo Joo? I don't think so. A $500 iPad mostly kills the market for most other slates. Out in the consumer world you would have to cut $100 to $200 off of this to get the average person to buy another slate after a side by side comparision. $500 is a Joo Joo killer. Just ask your mom.
    Really? Did you even look at the specs?
    I would love to see Palm partner with Dell or HP and put out a tablet netbook with webOS. A lot of companies seem to be coming out with tablet netbooks at some point this year. It could even come from sprint with a built in broadband card. It would be a great selling point if and when they actually get a wimax tower in every Wal-mart.
    Sad when some of the renders (especially gizmodo's) look so much better than the actual product, that I was totally disappointed when Jobs revealed the real thing.

I have to admit, I kept thinking that WebOS would be a much better OS for this style of device...
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If a netbook, a slate, and an iPad are being demo'd in one room, the iPad will have the most people standing around it. Not to mention that 75 million people have owned iPhone OS devices and already feel at home with it. Feel free to prominently display your specs for emphasis.
    The only thing keeping Apple ahead of everyone else was being in style. They've chosen a really really uncool name followed up by it looking like a old person's large-print version of the iPhone.

It's a flop as far as fashion goes, and since that's the only reason people bought other Apple products. Sure the slate market will probably boom because of this, but this time Apple is going to be sitting in the sidelines because they couldn't even do superficial right.
  9. KAM1138
    Hello Everyone,

From my perspective a device between a Smartphone and laptop (or desktop) is a tough sell. I've always been in love with the idea of having computing power with me (portable), but have been suck with having to lug a laptop around, or having to give up on functionality--with a PDA or Smartphone. So, theoretically a tablet is exactly what I want.

Except it isn't. Unless it really is able to give me the same portability as a Smartphone (it doesn't--its huge), and the functionality of a Laptop (it doesn't), it ends up being a device that doesn't perform either function very well, and thus--just isn't worth it.

If there was a device that actually bridged that gap effectively, I'd be all over it, but none of these really seem aimed at doing that. A Laptop/Desktop is essential, and the Smartphone is as well--and they really don't overlap, so keeping both makes sense. Taking a little from each doesn't allow me to get rid of either of the other two, so I really don't gain anything.

KAM
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Seems like a sting of jealousy and sour grapes more than a true appraisal of the iPad.

Someones delusional. I own an iphone 3gs and still the ipad doesn't impress me. It's an ipod touch that someone did a real life pinch zoom on. Gimme a break, no flash, no multitasking, no appeal. Apple packages their products well and they advertise like no other but that doesn't make their products best.

But the Joo Joo's touch sensitivity is pretty bad. One thing Apple Products rule in is amazing touch sensitivity.
    You've had a hands on with the unreleased joojoo to know about it's touch sensitivity??! Now you're making me jealous.

Apple fan boys will be all over it in droves though, that much you are correct about.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Actually here's a question...

Does the iPad have true multitasking or not? If it's really just a huge iPod touch with some new apps, I'll bet it doesn't The Palm Pre's "card view" and true multitasking may be superior to even that of the "iPad"???
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobill View Post

Does the iPad have true multitasking or not? If it's really just a huge iPod touch with some new apps, I'll bet it doesn't The Palm Pre's "card view" and true multitasking may be superior to even that of the "iPad"???

No it doesn't multitask. It doesn't support flash. It doesn't do alot, and what it does do is probably locked down like everything else apple. Probably should have just called it the idont.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by astrobill View Post

It seems that the iPad was really designed a small number of things better than anything else. The things mentioned were email, web browsing and photos -- maybe even contacts.. Of course, it can also do music, movies, books and games as well. Somebody needs to really want to one or more of these things to justify a purchase.

I'm sure that somebody smart will develop some other killer applications for the device. I sure as heck can't imagine the iPad not doing multi-tasking really soon.

I think the Palm UI is better than the iPad, but what makes the device is is the applications -- not how well you switch can between applications. I'm always multi-tasking, so I would have a hard time with something like the iPAd is context switching wasn't fast, easy and satisfying like WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    It seems that the iPad was really designed a small number of things better than anything else. The things mentioned were email, web browsing and photos -- maybe even contacts.. Of course, it can also do music, movies, books and games as well. Somebody needs to really want to one or more of these things to justify a purchase.

I'm sure that somebody smart will develop some other killer applications for the device. I sure as heck can't imagine the iPad not doing multi-tasking really soon.

I think the Palm UI is better than the iPad, but what makes the device is is the applications -- not how well you switch can between applications. I'm always multi-tasking, so I would have a hard time with something like the iPAd is context switching wasn't fast, easy and satisfying like WebOS.
    It doesn't and won't have flash support, and for that reason alone it won't browse better than any netbook or even my Pre. HTML5 may be the future but Flash is still the right now. I also have no doubt they'll eventually implement some sort of multitasking and I'd almost be willing to bet it'll look something like WebOS when it hits. Saddest thing about it is how the masses will think Apple invented it.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Apple is not in the business on inventing things. They perfect a few things and then create the perception that using their things will make you happier. Many people have positive experiences, tell their friends and pretty soon a bunch of people want the Apple thing. Before you know it Apple is the coolest brand around and Apple is growing like crazy.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123