Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The I-pad and the TamPalm
    Sorry couldn't help it
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If they call it a "pad" anything I'm not buying it!
    What if they called it a PalmPADD? Would that be any better?
    (it works for me, but I've got a particular bias goin' on there...)

Anyway, I found the iPad to be impressive in some ways, but lacking in too many ways. It seems likely to be a good size and weight for random porting around at home, messing around on the couch, etc., in a way that the clamshell shape of a keyboarded laptop is not...; honestly, I feel the laptop is a bit awkward or unwieldy for that purpose, but the iPad's shape could definitely turn out not to be a real winner also.

Otherwise, some of the things its missing would be automatic with WebOS, notably multitasking, resolution-independence, and independence from having to sync to another computer via iTunes or some other closed system.

Still, it's not a slam-dunk. What I feel would still need work from WebOS as it is include:
    • Support for more file formats, and expandably so (i.e., have ways to expand the formats it supports). To the extent possible, it's just easier not to have to convert videos.
    • Easy access to shared resources over the network: drives, folders, files, music, documents, videos, etc. etc. As cloud-centric as WebOS was designed to be, this should be relatively easy...though we still don't have a WebOS official filesystem explorer...which might be a necessary scoping tool; the tablet couldn't just scan "everywhere" for image files the way your pre does for it's onboard storage.
    • The ability for cards *not* to be full-screen, but still visible on the desktop and usable. Essentially some analog to windows so you can have more than one open and visible at a time. A screen that size seems to require it.
    • An official on-screen keyboard, I'd guess. Again, for something that big and to maintain the hopefully less-awkward-than-a-laptop shape.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that should be on a list like that, but those are my top of my head ones...

Plus, Palm really should be remain focused on its phones for now, as low on resources as they seem to be, so any PADD in their future should be a solid bit in their future.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Then comes the star frickin trek web os watch...

Main screen of course is a hi res screen showing the time, then swipes to see your local weather, stock tickers, calender and text messages.... all through sprint....

lol. Now that tabletpads are out, ya gotta think the iwatches or webwatches are next.....lmao.

then there will be web os tvs and alarm clocks... all sorts of wack ***** ideas will follow...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    a WebOS tablet would be much more interesting than the iPad.
    I totally agree. Having a giant iPhone with book apps. Whop-tee-doo.
    yes we could if the ipad is popular enough.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I think the iPad will be more interesting than just a blown-up version of the current iPhone- although I think we'll see that functionality increase through software updates rather than hardware ones (although I would love to see it with front and rear facing cameras for video conferencing, but it's hard to see the point in that until there's a widespread 4G network up and running).
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
    i think they should call it the Palm Pilot HD.... Great name recall for the mass market...
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    the apple tablet will sell... because it has an apple on the backside. the inside and the os doesn't matter for many people as long as they got that f'ing apple on their device. it's like the stockholm syndrom. (iphone is a great phone but not the best, ipod is a great mp3 player but not the best., and both is way overpriced)
    no one said it wouldn't sell, the idea of it is still crap IMO though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i think they should call it the Palm Pilot HD.... Great name recall for the mass market...
    I agree. Although I'm not sure who owns the trademark of those names atm (they were relased when Palm was apart of US Robotics), but bringing back a really powerful name like the Pilot or even "One" I think that would be a really sharp decision if they release a new flagship product.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpgiv View Post
    I agree. Although I'm not sure who owns the trademark of those names atm (they were relased when Palm was apart of US Robotics), but bringing back a really powerful name like the Pilot or even "One" I think that would be a really sharp decision if they release a new flagship product.
    I'm sure they can give that name without a problem....

come to think of it guys...

the Palm Pilot was the Newton done right.

THe PilotHD will be the iPad done right:

= hardware keyboard, Flash, Multitasking, USB Ports, Open Development. I';d pay $499 for that.
    what the hell is the point in a pad? seriously...

it's a stupid fad like netbooks. after people have them for so long they'll realize they hate them because they're expecting them to be useful and they aren't.

please, Palm, focus on things that will help the company grow and improve.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    There is zero chance. I think that time is past. The webOS Foleo wouldn't work either. Netbooks are just too cheap now, and Asus is making a convertible laptop in the Eee line. A convertible netbook!? That's crazy!

If it really is cheap enough to be labled an Eee... even the iPad won't last more than a generation or two because convertible netbooks/laptops will become mainstream in a few years. All the benefits of a laptop and a tablet all in a conveniently low cost package.

It'll just have to reach a magical tipping point of being powerful enough, cheap enough, and thin enough, and they'll start flying off of shelves.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    I dont really see myself ever buying one, but if i were to get a tablet/pad/thing-y I think webOS would be awesome for it. I was disappointed by the iPad announcement because Apple didn't seem to make any real OS changes for the device and just enlarged the iPhone. They can get away with certain things on a phone due to its size limitations, but on a screen that big the software just doesnt seem to fit right. Putting webOS on a big screen I think is a much more sensible transition - though like I said I still dont think I would ever get one.
    i have a netbook and love it. have a monster quad core machine for the real stuff, had a 17 in laptop, never seen my lap, sold it because the "portability" of it was useless. then i got a 14' and same thing, so i found a lenovo 10' s10 and love it. battery last forever and its exactly what the name says, its for the net, thats it really. its a 10 in screen and keyboard. i take it everywhere.

but unfortunately i have a pre and find myself constantly ****ed that the netbook doesnt respond to swipes or multitouch other than the mouse pad lol so yeah i would get a "webos one" lol

webos makes more sense of the future of os's than anything out there in my opinion.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    If it really is cheap enough to be labled an Eee... even the iPad won't last more than a generation or two because convertible netbooks/laptops will become mainstream in a few years. All the benefits of a laptop and a tablet all in a conveniently low cost package.
    Have you seen the price breakdown on the iPads parts? It costs like $200 to build! How much cheaper can it get?

Also, saying an iPad is just a big iPhone is like saying the IBM-PC was just a "tiny UNIVAC"

Size and form-factor are important!
    screw the tablet device its a very small market
    they need to concentrate on WebOs and future smartphones
    and there marketing!
    i vote for tampalm if they actually make one that was genius
    Palm, show me you can make a 4.1 inch, the we can talk about the bigger stuff!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I really wish I could remember what article it was I read about the iPad and how other makers were wanting to make something like it. It mentioned at one point that a couple of makers were interested in building for WebOS...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast