webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > What constitues data usage?
What constitues data usage?

Old 01/26/2010, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Greetings,

As a Palm, and for that matter, a smartphone newbie, I'm a bit confused by what actually is considered data usage..

Simple web browsing from my Plam device?
Listening to podcasts via Dr. Podder?
Using facebook to update my status?
Downloading apps via the App Catalog?
Using Sprint Navigator?
SMS?
MMS?

etc., etc.?

Thanks in advance for the answer. I also think that a front page article explaining what is actually considered data usage would be a useful tool.

Last edited by JDGAFFLIN; 01/26/2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Spelling correction...
JDGAFFLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2010, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

The overall UI of DrPodder follows the conventions of many of the native web OS applications, and is clean and intuitive.
Navigation is dead simple - after loading the application, you're greeted with a list of your feeds. From here you can add/manage feeds and create play lists.
The transport controls also have a few nice touches (are you taking notes, Palm?), such as scrub bar that auto bookmarks your location in a podcast upon exit and the ability to fast forward and rewind in 20 and 60 second intervals.
nevaeh.aaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: drnull
Old 02/05/2010, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Greetings,

As a Palm, and for that matter, a smartphone newbie, I'm a bit confused by what actually is considered data usage..

Using Sprint Navigator?
SMS?
MMS?

etc., etc.?

Thanks in advance for the answer. I also think that a front page article explaining what is actually considered data usage would be a useful tool.
I may not know what I'm talking about, but I would think that everything but the SMS and MMS would be considered data usage. On a dumbphone, you can call or text. Anything beyond that usually requires a data plan of some type.
Old 02/05/2010, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGAFFLIN View Post
Greetings,

Using Sprint Navigator?
SMS?
MMS?

etc., etc.?

Yes, all are data except for SMS and MMS.

I could go into more detail about SMS and MMS, and I'm sure someone will, but if I had to guess at the reason for your question, I'd say that for your purposes "all but SMS/MMS" is the answer.

So, what is the purpose of your question?
squeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Everything but text and phone calls.
Helidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

All the Apps and Web that use data is "data usage" and included in most plans, like Sprint's Everything plans. So if it's being worried about being charged for anything extra, your fine. Any data used on phone is free game and acceptable. Tethering is about the only potential app you can have that could incur a extra charge; however, there has not been any real issues with tethering so far to my knowledge.
superdog87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0