Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Anyone found a way to automate the backlight settings?

I'd love the phone to illuminate on an incoming call, so I could read who it was before answering. I've poked around but have yet to find any good way to control the backlight other than the switch.

BTW: I also have a hard time controlling the backlight from the switch, occasionally I switch the phone off trying to turn on the light. Maybe it's just me!
    BTW: I also have a hard time controlling the backlight from the switch, occasionally I switch the phone off trying to turn on the light. Maybe it's just me!
    You can set in your preferences to control the backling on/off with a stroke from the graffiti area to the top of the screen on visors - see if something similar exists for the treo. This would be a setting under preferences / buttons

I'd love the phone to illuminate on an incoming call, so I could read who it was before answering. I've poked around but have yet to find any good way to control the backlight other than the switch.
    GlowHack (freeware)will turn on your backlight automatically between certain periods of the day (that you set) - get it at http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...416&prodID=518
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro
    Originally posted by jberger
    Anyone found a way to automate the backlight settings?

Huh? My backlight ALWAYS comes on for incoming calls... I thought they all did this. I want to turn it OFF.... I have one of the "original" treos - with the "old" software - how about you?

Paul
    Warning: Off Topic

Huh? My backlight ALWAYS comes on for incoming calls... I thought they all did this. I want to turn it OFF.... I have one of the "original" treos - with the "old" software - how about you?
    Isn't this sad? The Treo has been out for a month or two, and there are already major differences...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I have the "newer" software, and the light always comes on for incoming calls also....
    Originally posted by terrysalmi
    Isn't this sad? The Treo has been out for a month or two, and there are already major differences...
    Not really. I would consider HS refusing to fix known software issues on new units 'sadder.'
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I use a combination of GreenLight hack (inverts screen) and Keep Lit hack (to maintain the last state of the backlight). These might work for you, but only if you had the backlight on previously.

I think I remember seeing a hack on palmgear that could remember the backlight state for any application, I think it was called App Light hack or something similar. You could set the phone app to always have the backlight on.

I personally haven't payed much attention, but I think my Treo does NOT turn on the backlight for an incoming call. I have the second generation OS/software. I'm sure if there's enough demand, a hack will be written that can make the backlight come on for incoming calls during specific times of the day.

-Greg
    Seattle Palm Users Group!
    http://www.seapug.com/
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Hmmm, I must say that this whole process is beyond aggrevating. Handspring's QA & Process areas leave much to be desired.

Thanks for the tips, I'll start trying the software to find a fix, but how did it get past the factory guys. Seriously, did anyone from Handspring use a cell phone regular prior to the treo?

I'm now running one of the old treo (small letters) with the new software and no backlight on incoming calls. How disheartening, this product was released too soon, without proper testing, they should recall and start over.

BTW: Anyone looked at backlighting the keypad?
    Almost all current cellphones have a good backlight and a good system for using it in different lights - why couldn't Handspring learn from the Visor (like they did by removing datebook and leaving only +) and get a different backlight, or atleast invert the screen? The Sony T-415, in my opinion, has the greatest backlight of a monochrome device.
    The backlight on the Treo si the best I have seen on any PDA. It is very bright. The backlight SHOULD come on when you receive a call..no matter what time of the day it is. if its not, then you either have a defective unit or have something installed that is affecting this fucntionality.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    FYI,
    Decided that maybe it was software related and worked on troubleshooting today.
    A hard reset fixed the incoming call backlight issue.
    All the former apps have been reinstalled and it still works. I have no idea why the problem occured, but I'll try and closely monitor it to see what symptoms occurs.

Yardie,
    Suprised to hear a glowing recommendation on the Treo Backlight. Lots of PDA's have better backlights from what I've seen, check out the new sonys or an iPaq. Wow, they look fantastic!
    I have the UK version of the Treo 180 and the backlight comes on when the phone rings but the contrast also changes so its nearly impossible to read in daylight!
    Suprised to hear a glowing recommendation on the Treo Backlight. Lots of PDA's have better backlights from what I've seen, check out the new sonys or an iPaq. Wow, they look fantastic!
    Dude, those are COLOR devices. Of course they look better, it's a whole different technology. My opinion is the same as Yardie's. The Treo backlight is the brightest of any reverse backlight that I have seen. My V and Vx were useless in low light because the backlight wasn't strong enough when there was just barely too little light to see without it. With the Treo, if I find I'm trying to catch the light to read it, I just turn on the backlight and stop trying. It works great in pretty much all lighting conditions.

That said, I wish the contrast were better. I have it cranked way to the dark side (about 4/5's of the way, I'd guess) just to read stuff and see pictures. MY Vx was the opposite of that. I guess it's a tradeoff for grayscale devices. Good backlight or good contrast, but not both? The Clie T415 is a good example of that. ;-)

-Greg
    just did a quick test to see if the backlight comes on for incoming calls or not.
    Well, it does... but only when the lid is shut. If the lid is open (and the unit is off) when a call comes in, the light does not turn on.
    What's cool is that when you tap the ignore button, the caller who was previously hearing a ring suddenly gets a busy signal! LOL!

So there you go. lid closed = blackight on incoming call.

Yardie,

Well I have never seen the Ipaq monochrome or Sony Clie monchrome. These devices are not too popular in my neck of the woods I think. Palm and Handspring rules in Canada.
    You get a busy signal when you "ignore" a call? What carrier do you have?

When you press the "ignore" button, that's SUPPOSED to send the caller to voicemail (and that is what it does on my treo - voicestream)!

Another weird thing that's been reported to me: when I used the 3-way calling feature (that is, I put a call on hold to answer a second incoming call), the person that I put on hold told me that while they were on hold, they heard a ringtone - as if they were making a call and the phone on the other end was ringing. I don't think "hold" is supposed to work that way. I mean to ask Voicestream/Handspring about that one of these days.

Originally posted by GregGaub
    just did a quick test to see if the backlight comes on for incoming calls or not.
    Well, it does... but only when the lid is shut. If the lid is open (and the unit is off) when a call comes in, the light does not turn on.
    What's cool is that when you tap the ignore button, the caller who was previously hearing a ring suddenly gets a busy signal! LOL!

So there you go. lid closed = blackight on incoming call.
    Originally posted by GregGaub

I had that problem too, but I figured out what happened. My call forwarding to Voicestream's voice messaging gets turned off when I use the certain call forwarding features. Callers just hear a buzy signal and can't leave messages. I fixed the problem by using this call forwarding code:

*67*1 [insert area code and first three digits of phone number] 9999#

That resets unanswered/buzy calls to Voicestream's voicemail.

I forward my phone in several different ways. I just put each call forwarding code on a separate speed-dial button.
    -
    Last edited by heberman; 04/09/2002 at 07:25 PM.
    ok, so I took the easy route and called VoiceStream for some assistance on the voice mail thingy, which I had on my old phone, but it was gone with my Treo.
    Once I told the guy I had a Treo, he loads up the help info in his system, and leads me through. I had never checked the "Call Preferences" in the phone app previously, and even if I had I probably would not have known what to put in it. Turns out all my call forwarding was turned off. I had to enter the voicemail center number into the available numbers, then select it for all the "if forward all is off, forward:" selections to point to voice mail. For me, the voice mail number was my mobile number, but with the last 4 digits replaced by 9999, e.g. 2533329999.

Now that I know how to change that stuff, I can have it forward calls to home or somewhere else. Cool!

-Greg
    Maybe it's just me, but is the Ignore unique to the Treo?

I'm sure my CDMA phone didn't have it.

Very cool way to manage inbound calls.

I dig it the most.
    Last edited by ggibby; 04/10/2002 at 08:55 PM.
    Impatience makes you UGLY.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast