Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    International roaming seems to work well with the Treo. I can send and receive calls in Europe with the 900/1900 U.S. treo with no problems. Voicestream indicates, for the countries I am in, that it will be about 29 cents per minute in addition to consumption of my regular plan minutes.

    However I am NOT successful with SMS messaging back to myself or to U.S. mobile phones or SMS e-mail. I can of course dial up and receive POP mail with not problems.

    Does anyone have experience how to send or receive SMS messages back to the U.S. voicestream environment? I have tried using the international country code ahead of the mobile number but still no success. I'm not sure if the message center number or SMS e-mail needs to be reconfigured once you are in another environment. (SONOFONE) Any input would be appreciated from others with international roaming experience.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    International roaming seems to work well with the Treo. I can send and receive calls in Europe with the 900/1900 U.S. treo with no problems. Voicestream indicates, for the countries I am in, that it will be about 29 cents per minute in addition to consumption of my regular plan minutes.

    However I am NOT successful with SMS messaging back to myself or to U.S. mobile phones or SMS e-mail. I can of course dial up and receive POP mail with not problems.

    Does anyone have experience how to send or receive SMS messages back to the U.S. voicestream environment? I have tried using the international country code ahead of the mobile number but still no success. I'm not sure if the message center number or SMS e-mail needs to be reconfigured once you are in another environment. (SONOFONE) Any input would be appreciated from others with international roaming experience.
    I think James sucefully SMS-ed from the US to Sweden and back...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  3. #3  
    I have been able to send SMS to Europe but never got the replies. It think it boils down to carrier to carrier inter-sharing agreements. I think the North American carriers are scared to open up to Asia and Europe because their networks could not handle the flood. But they might even make a lot of money by charging for all the inbound sms...

    SMS from Canada to the US and back works fine though. I have tried that. There were slight delays sometimes in Toronto but generally it worked.
  4. #4  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    International roaming seems to work well with the Treo. I can send and receive calls in Europe with the 900/1900 U.S. treo with no problems. Voicestream indicates, for the countries I am in, that it will be about 29 cents per minute in addition to consumption of my regular plan minutes.
    They only charge to $0.29/minute on top of using your minutes? When I checked out their website, it looked like international roaming costed from $1 to $3/minute depending on the country. Is that not the case?


    Is the $0.29/minute for making local calls inside whataever country your in, is it Europe-wide, or can you call back to the US? I'm very curious to know how this works.

    -Chris
  5. #5  
    Anybody try VoiceStream's AIM over SMS in Europe?
    -- Go Illini!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by imuffin


    They only charge to $0.29/minute on top of using your minutes? When I checked out their website, it looked like international roaming costed from $1 to $3/minute depending on the country. Is that not the case?


    Is the $0.29/minute for making local calls inside whataever country your in, is it Europe-wide, or can you call back to the US? I'm very curious to know how this works.

    -Chris
    Currently in Denmark, roaming defaults to "TeleDanmark" According to voicestream web page while roaming with TDK, here are the published rates. Still no luck with SMS to U.S.

    GSM Frequency: 900 MHz
    Customer Care: +45 80 20 20 20

    Local Calls - Peak: $0.69 per minute
    Local Calls - Off-Peak: $0.60 per minute
    Calls To US - Peak: $1.02 per minute
    Calls To US - Off-Peak: $0.85 per minute
    Incoming Calls: $0.28 per minute

    I think U.S. to me here in DK would be 29 cents. Not sure if you "Also" add the 28 cents also for incoming calls. Watching my bill and my calls closely.

    On a side note, I think I understand the key to battery duration. It is almost unbelievable, but after a full day of roaming, wireless modem on, there VERY LITTLE battery consumed as viewed by the battery indicator. I firmly believe that having a pegged signal strength everywhere I go plays a part ! In addition, perhaps the 900MHZ frequency may play a part as well. I think with our whimpy signal strength in the U.S. the modem sucks the power!
    Last edited by george_vc; 04/09/2002 at 12:16 PM.
  7. #7  
    If you browse VS's site they list each country, list carriers, then provide a coverage map and roaming rates for each available country:

    http://www.voicestream.com/worldclass/wcCov01.asp
  8. #8  
    When roaming, SMS should work just the same as normal.. as long as your message centre is set correctly; ie instead of just a local number, it has the +1 country code in there. So if your message centre is usually set to 212 555 1234, then you should make sure it says +1 212 555 1234. The GSM network will route things quite happily then...

    That said, the US networks seem remarkably flaky when it comes to SMS. I have a friend on VoiceStream in NewYork, and for a long time, I could only send SMS to him when he was roaming outside the US. While a friend on VS in Boston could always receive messages.

    The problem, I think, lies firmly with the US networks. You simply don't need to do anything when you roam with GSM, other than make sure numbers are stored in international format.

    Nigel.
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by jwardell
    If you browse VS's site they list each country, list carriers, then provide a coverage map and roaming rates for each available country:

    http://www.voicestream.com/worldclass/wcCov01.asp
    When I look at various countries here, the cheapest rate I see is $0.99/minute, and it says "Any time, anywhere." I guess that means for $.99 per minute I can call anywhere in the world? What about the structure mentioned earlier that's $.29/minute for local calls, and minutes are deducted from the plan? I can't find anything like that on their website.
  10. #10  
    Here's the trick... Voicestream drastically restructured their international roaming rate structure last fall.

    If you activated your Voicestream account prior to the restructuring (September 2001, I think), you'll get the original rates, which are amazingly low... sometimes less than $0.15 per minute, even for calls to the US from Europe. The charges vary by time of day, call destination, country and carrier; Voicestream's web site will tell you who charges what, providing that your account qualifies for the original rate plan.

    If, however, you activated your account after the cutoff date, you'll get Voicestream's "convenient" new rates. They've divided the world into five tiers. All carriers in a given country cost the same, for all calls, all the time... and it's always much, much higher than their older rate plan, starting at $0.99/minute (for most of Europe) and going up to $4.99/minute (for a few hard-to-reach places).
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>

Posting Permissions