Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not sure if someone already linked to it. But it seems pretty likely that the Pre 2 will have a quad core cpu.

The article is pretty old. Apologies if this has already been talked to death.

Pre 2 getting Quad Core CPU
    I hope it's true, Quad Core CPU, 4g Pre 2, KEWl!!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Interesting article, but without solid sources it seems like a random, speculative editorial to me. While I would love to see quad-core phones, I don't expect it to happen soon. Discrediting that article is the fact that neither the Pre nor the iPhone 3GS are dual-core. Both are single-core. I do expect to see dual-core Cortex A9 introductions this year, but quad-core wouldn't show up in my forecast.

Just my $.02
    Quad-core is just a bit of overkill, plus it'd really drain the battery. I'd say we won't see one for 3+ years.
    It said in the article that the chip was going to have scaling, which actually save battery power.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It said in the article that the chip was going to have scaling, which actually save battery power.
    I wouldn't put much stock in what that article says, it wasn't even accurate about the devices that were out when it was written!
    Well scaling isn't going to help battery life if you actually use that available CPU power, otherwise why have so much power?
    I think something good is cooking at Palm, saving their advertising $ for a new product coming down the pipe! JMO
  9.    #9  
    Yeah, I know the article is simply a shot in the dark, they know about as much as we do, but...

Jon Rubenstien is used to traveling the world and getting a look at the best mobile tech from working on the iphone. I have no idea if he's thought of a Palm Pre 2 with a tegra chip and a quad core cpu, but I think, with a big enough battery

It would ROCK.

That's my official pie in the sky prediction, guaranteed not to come true.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Does anyone know (or guess) when might Palm give any hint towards the Pre 2 or C40? My contract is up in April and I would really love to get a webOS device under Sprint but I'm 50/50 on the Pre in terms of hardware.
  11. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Quad-core is just a bit of overkill, plus it'd really drain the battery. I'd say we won't see one for 3+ years.
    And I hope to hell we're getting a Pre 2 before 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo3T View Post
    Does anyone know (or guess) when might Palm give any hint towards the Pre 2?
    That's kind of the million dollar question around here. I can't believe it's mid-February of 2010 and we haven't heard so much as a peep or a leak from someone, somewhere, about the Pre 2.

If anyone on the boards has a legitimate source, please, please post it. It seems like someone here has to know someone who's working on it.

I haven't had a new phone in almost 4 years (long story). I'd really like for my next phone to be a Pre 2.
    There was a post here late in 2009 by someone who said that they flew with a marketing person from Palm. He said the next device would look something like a Pixi, only larger.

I like the Pre form factor, but moving parts, specifically the angled keyboard slider, will always be troublesome maintenance items.

I want to see Palm wring every last ounce of performance out of the current hardware through webOS updates before going to a ARM Cortex 9, like the TI OMAP 44XX series. These are dual core, like the processor in the iPad. When coupled with the move to 4G (WiMax/LTE), lithium ion battery technology has to improve. Otherwise, form factors will have to grow to accomodate a larger battery.
    I want to upgrade my cell now, and I'm leaning towards getting a Palm device. I would like to see the Pre 2 come out soon, since I'm reading threads about how people keep having problems with both the Pre and Pixi. If they make it like the pixi format (with a better name), I'm sure this will help Palm be a good competitor and I would definitely get it. Judging by all the threads out there, the sliding thing is not really working for Palm and I'm not to fond of it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    There was a post here late in 2009 by someone who said that they flew with a marketing person from Palm. He said the next device would look something like a Pixi, only larger.
    Yeah, I remember reading that one. A device like that might suit my husband really well: his primary complaint about the Pre is that it is a little small for his hands.

I just keep hoping for some new information, seeing as how we're well into the first quarter of 2010. :/
    MUST have a comfortable keyboard AND a gorgeous 480 x 320 res or higher screen.

You would be getting absolutely the BEST of both worlds.... an iphone like screen AND the comfortable keyboard palm has formerly been famous for to accommodate heavy data input users.

I just can't believe they didn't design the original pre this way, honestly. I'd have though rubenstein would have tested the pre hardware and said," you know, this has to be more solid. Too flimsy, and the keyboard should be larger and more comfortable. "

I'm waiting to be impressed by the pre 2. I truly hope they FINALLY hit the home run.
    Finally, an update!

From Everything Pre:

Palm is expected to launch webOS devices on AT&T in the next few months. These phones will likely be variants of the existing models, likely the Palm Pre Plus and Palm Pixi Plus. Now comes word via the Wall St. Journal (subscription required) that “those familiar with Palm’s situation” say that Palm is developing a brand new phone for later this year. This news shouldn’t come as a big surprise, but it’s the first somewhat official confirmation we’ve seen regarding a new webOS device. Given the events of the last 24 hours, this certainly comes as encouraging news.
    Wow. I'm a tech geek and to me that was like like another language. Way too technical.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    My sprint contract is up this month and I am so torn... I love the 755p's the physical keyboard so iphone is out, Droid, Pre and Pixi are out (their keyboard sux too), the Nexus 1 is glitchy as all get out so I cannot wait to see what the Elan is...might solve all my problems...

In the meaintime, my 755p still works like a charm and the SERO makes it even sweeter!
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Is the Elan going to be a new sprint phone or AT&T?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast