Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Just remember, the original intent of this thread was whether or not the Pre had unlimited data. It does, with no 5gb cap. If you choose to circumvent that by tethering, and use more than 5gb, you might get charged for it, but that too is unlikely.
    How can it be truly unlimited if you do something different and then you get charged for it?

It's unlimited with conditions!

I give up!

Rob

Do some video for a few days... do some heavy streaming, all perfectly fine and both of these can cause you to go over the 5GB so called cap! See what happens.

I can tell you what happens, you are going to get a friendly letter or phone call from Sprint!

Try it and test it out!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I continually go over the 5 gb. The Pre's data is unlimited. I stream Pandora, and use the heck out of the internet access on the Pre. You will not have any issues.

You will never have any problems even using 100 gb as long as you do not circumvent the system and use tethering. Even then, though, you have to be a habitual abuser for Sprint to even care.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    How can it be truly unlimited if you do something different and then you get charged for it?

I give up!

Rob

Do some video for a few days... do some heavy streaming, all perfectly fine and both of these can cause you to go over the 5GB so called cap! See what happens.

I can tell you what happens, you are going to get a friendly letter or phone call from Sprint!

Try it and test it out!
    2 reasons

1 it is unlimited on the phone, not unlimited to your laptop/ps3.

2 unlimited is a separate issue from unrestricted

if you circumvent, and go off your contract, well, then you aren't using that data on your phone, your using it off of your phone and its not really relevant to the unlimited anymore, now you might get questioned, or whatever it is sprint does, which i have never heard of them doing anyway, I certainly have (as stated before) gone over 5gb in a month by a couple gb and sprint has never said or written or even looked my way once.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post

I give up!

My usage is probably similar to pogeypetey's (but I don't bother to check). I very rarely tether and if I do it might be like 1/2 hr/month (about once every 3-4 months) just for browsing some web pages. On my treo, I used to get nasty letters from Sprint on a regular basis (which I ignored and they did nothing). During those times, my actual tether usage used to be little but my streaming of pTunes was pretty extereme. The letters simply said that if I was using the Phone as a Modem, that I would need to purchase '"Phone as a Modem" on my account.

Now on my Pre I stream Net2Streams radio often all night long. I've not noticed any such letters in the last 6 months on the Pre so my observation concurs with pogeypetey's. The likelihood is that they currently "cherry pick" the higest bandwidth users and then look at logs and make human determination what sort of mix the traffic is. Serious abusers will likely get warnings sometime within the next 3-6 months. I could be wrong, but having observed Sprint throughout the history of smartphones, I have a pretty good idea of what worked and failed in the past, and what they are likely to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    You will never have any problems even using 100 gb as long as you do not circumvent the system and use tethering. Even then, though, you have to be a habitual abuser for Sprint to even care.
    Exactly!

The last sentence in that "legalese" that someone posted seemed like a "weasel phrase" put in there by the lawyers in case they have to "cap" for emergency reasons. The rest of that Paragraph applied to aircards and "phone as a modem" plans - none of which are available/applicable on the Pre/Pixi plans.

Hopefully pogeypetey's and my explanations give you more comfort and less confusion of what "unlimited" really means. (I'm glad that you asked.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  5.    #25  
    I went into a Sprint store on my way home, to see if they had a larger case for my Pre and I asked a woman there if the data is Unlimited. She said (Yes), but if it is abused a person will be warned; then if they still keep doing it; then their service might be turned off.

The No-No's For Unlimited Date.

1. No Using A Phone As A Modem; Unless You Have That Feature Added.
    2. No Rigging The Phone To Use It As A Router.
    3. No Using Your Sprint Phone To File Share.
    4. No VoIP; Unless It Is An Approved App.

Basically Sprint can tell what your doing by the Data-Packets sizes. Streaming TV, Radio, Downloading Apps, Ect show up as normal use. If you are tethering or file sharing; Sprint can see that your doing that, because the data usage is much larger and eats data away at a certain pace.

So Sprint really does offer Unlimited; just as long as customers don't abuse it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12