1.    #1  
    It appears that the Cingular coverage in San Diego is so poor that my Treo loses coverage all the time. Most phone will periodically try to find coverage. My Treo doesn't even bother to try.

I was driving somewhere today and saw that the red light was blinking indicating no coverage; I got to an intersection that had coverage last week and the red light was still blinking. I turned off Wireless Mode and then it turned back on and I got 3 bars of coverage.

Also, I was sitting in a room and had 2 bars of coverage, made a few data calls and then the red light starting blinking again. I had to cycle the wireless mode again.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Is the unit defective or is it just some power conserving thing that is driving me crazy? Can I change this somehow? I don't mind suffering battery life for actually being able to make/receive a call.

I'm tempted to write a program that periodically checks for coverage and restarts wireless mode. I'm not sure that I can do this, but I'm going to try unless there is a better solution.
    I've had this same experience. I believe it's been discussed before and seems to be a battery-saving thing - the service will come back eventually, but I don't know how often the Treo checks...
  3.    #3  
    I searched and didn't find any battery reference that really resembled my problem. Anyway, I got fed up with it and am working on a program that basically will do the following:

Every 1 minute (user configurable) it:
    1) Checks to see if the module is powered
    2) If the module is powered, it checks to see if it is registered
    3) If it isn't registered, I power off the module and power it on again (it then sets the check for 5 minutes, user configurable so that it has time to register)

So far my limited tests have shown that my program is working. If any would like to give my program a try, drop me some email at: treo-test@gruby.com and I'll send it along. Of course, I take no responsibility for what the program does to your Treo!

Yes, this program will probably kill the battery life, but with the absolutely poor coverage I have, battery life isn't an issue if I can't make/receive a call!
    A related thing that I and others would want: a hack that, during user specified hours, would turn the phone on if it happens to be off. Or just a hack that, when enabled, turns the phone on after a soft reset. Lots of folks are clamoring for this since resets are a fairly common thing and many of us forget to turn the phone back on afterward...

Thanx
    Paul
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Paul Penny
    A related thing that I and others would want: a hack that, during user specified hours, would turn the phone on if it happens to be off. Or just a hack that, when enabled, turns the phone on after a soft reset. Lots of folks are clamoring for this since resets are a fairly common thing and many of us forget to turn the phone back on afterward...

Thanx
    Paul
    Excellent! I forgot about having to turn the phone back on after every soft reset. I just added this to my app so that each time it checks (once a minute) it stores the current phone state. When the unit resets, if the phone state was on, my app turns it back on.
    Last edited by sgruby; 04/04/2002 at 02:08 PM.
    The reaon Palm OS asks do you want to receive a beamed app and likewise the reason it does not auto-reset is to prevent looping scenarios where badly written software or harmful software cannot lock up your device. It might be unwise to auto-enable the radio after a reset for this reason - say someone pushes something to your device which alters its behavior and then forces a reset to attach it to the underlying system - you have an auto installed WORM.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    The reaon Palm OS asks do you want to receive a beamed app and likewise the reason it does not auto-reset is to prevent looping scenarios where badly written software or harmful software cannot lock up your device. It might be unwise to auto-enable the radio after a reset for this reason - say someone pushes something to your device which alters its behavior and then forces a reset to attach it to the underlying system - you have an auto installed WORM.
    I don't understand how what you've stated affects turning the radio back on. If someone beams me an app that crashes at startup, I reset the unit and hold the up button...delete the app and then reset it again. Problem solved. My app won't execute the turning the radio back on if the up button is held down.

I'll take my chances with my application; believe it or not, my units don't crash that often. I like the radio coming back on when I reset. Maybe I'll make it an option.
    Hi Scott,

Another suggestion for your application - I run GlowHack all the time and when my phone is off (wireless off that is) your app wakes up the Treo and tries to do its thing. So my Treo was waking/lighting up every 6 minutes in the evening when I have the phone off. I suggest doing a quick check for Wireless Mode on before it tries to do anything.

MetaDave
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    Hi Scott,

Another suggestion for your application - I run GlowHack all the time and when my phone is off (wireless off that is) your app wakes up the Treo and tries to do its thing. So my Treo was waking/lighting up every 6 minutes in the evening when I have the phone off. I suggest doing a quick check for Wireless Mode on before it tries to do anything.

MetaDave
    The first version I sent had this problem; the second version won't turn on the display unless it has to reset the wireless mode.