Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently got a Treo 180 on Cingular and despite the poor Cingular coverage at home, the phone is beginning to grow on me. However, there seem to be a number of features that are lacking that I think can be "fixed" in software.

Since I write software for a living, I'm looking for features that people would like in their Treos to see if I (or some other developer) can add them.

For instance, my first complaint is that when I turn off the sound (via the switch on the top), I'm not notified of my alarms via the vibrate mode. Did I miss something? I'd like the phone to vibrate when an alarm goes off. I've managed to get around this problem by adding a feature to my Random Alarms program: http://www.notifymail.com/palm While the program's main feature is the ability to randomize the alarm sound that is played, I just added a feature that allows the Treo to vibrate when an alarm goes off.

I know that there are others developing small tools to help Treo users, I just haven't seen everything I want.
    Wow, amen to this... I'll start thinking of little annoyances right away
    obscure information.
    Which alarms were you using? DateBook + alarms work fine for me, though other alarms do not. If you are using DateBook4, you can set db+ to handle alarms to keep the vibrate...

...thanks for the randomalarms link... that may be the first 3rd party app I've seen to actually use the treo's vibrate feature...
  4.    #4  
    I use Action Names as well as my Med Alarm program (for reminding me to take medications). My main concern was that Med Alarm (which uses the standard alarm mechanism) didn't notify me when the sound was turned off. I believe that the alarm problem would also apply to things like Diddle Bug.
    Originally posted by sgruby
    I use Action Names as well as my Med Alarm program (for reminding me to take medications). My main concern was that Med Alarm (which uses the standard alarm mechanism) didn't notify me when the sound was turned off. I believe that the alarm problem would also apply to things like Diddle Bug.
    Sounds right to me. What we really need is a hack, that way it will work better with other hacks (random alarm seems to have issues w/ this), and we won't be stuck with RA's not-so-good implementation.

IOW, we just needed HS to design the treo such that all alarms set off the vibrate when the vibrate is set to "on." Ah, well.
  6.    #6  
    I know that I've mentioned on the website that Random Alarms may have issues with other hacks, but I have yet to encounter any myself. I run X-Master with a few hacks and as long as you don't turn the hacks (and Random Alarms) on and off, you're fine.

What's wrong with Random Alarms's implementation? You actually don't need to use the alarm portion just to use the vibrate feature. I know that some aspects of the user interface can be improved (I don't like the apply button), but it is very functional.
    What's wrong with Random Alarms's implementation? You actually don't need to use the alarm portion just to use the vibrate feature. I know that some aspects of the user interface can be improved (I don't like the apply button), but it is very functional.
    I don't like the implementation because I like to set different alarms to different apps: diddlebug sounds one way, Datebook4 todos another, appts another, and so on. Random alarms also seems to somehow take hold of the treo such that it won't pop up the datebook4 alarm screen before the alarm is through. I'm still playing, though. If I try to Unlselect all, then I get NO sounds in sound mode, which is bad..

ah, well.
  8.    #8  
    After you hit unselect all, hit apply. Not the best user interface, but that's the way it deactivates it. Your point is well taken about different alarms for different applications. However, Random Alarms does what it was designed to do...randomize all alarms!

I understand where the issue you describe with DateBook4 (and probably other apps) and will see what I can do about addressing it. I think that an older version of Random Alarms may have handled this better, but I changed some things in the new version to a) support vibrate on the Treo and b) support PCM sounds in the CLIE T-Series.

I gather you'd like to see an application called "Alarm Manager" which let you specify a certain alarm sound for each application. Is that correct?

I'm definitely open to feedback and will do what I can to improve Random Alarms. I'm not sure that it is the application for everyone, but I personally use it all the time!
    Random Alarms does what it was designed to do...randomize all alarms!
    and it does it very well, though it ought to be a hack to improve compatibility.

I gather you'd like to see an application called "Alarm Manager" which let you specify a certain alarm sound for each application. Is that correct?

Not quite. More like an "Alarm Manageer" that works as a hack that simply makes sure that alarms vibrate in silent and/or sound mode. It would be better to leave the alarm management to the individual apps as much as possible (ex: DB4 can have 3 different alarm sounds for every customized view).

I'm definitely open to feedback and will do what I can to improve Random Alarms. I'm not sure that it is the application for everyone, but I personally use it all the time!
    Ah-HA! Are you the developer? Sneaky sneaky...
  10.    #10  
    I thought I had made it clear (I wasn't trying to be sneaky) that I was the developer of Random Alarms...I did say "my Random Alarms"! I'm in the process of re-working it so that it is easier to just turn on vibrate without the randomness of the alarms and am cleaning up the user interface. In some ways it would make more sense as a hack, but I think that hacks are a bit cumbersome to non-techie users. I don't think compatibility would get much better as a hack.
    I thought I had made it clear (I wasn't trying to be sneaky) that I was the developer of Random Alarms...I did say "my Random Alarms"!

I misread it. ...and I didn't really mean you were sneaky, I shoulda used more emoticons...
    I'm in the process of re-working it so that it is easier to just turn on vibrate without the randomness of the alarms and am cleaning up the user interface. In some ways it would make more sense as a hack, but I think that hacks are a bit cumbersome to non-techie users. I don't think compatibility would get much better as a hack.
    Probably right. You know, the ideal thing would be a simply plug that (1) copied PalmOS 4.1's alarm manager and (2) made apps think you're using the 4.1 alarm manager. Most apps are updated to handle the new OS's alarm features...

..but that may be more work than is worth it. If nothing else, RA has at least shown us that it is possible for developers to add the vibrate feature for the treo.

...YAGDTP: Yet Another Great Developer That Posts!
  12.    #12  
    I agree that Palm OS 4.0 alarm manager would be great to see. I'm very disappointed in Handspring not using OS 4.0 for this reason alone. I had to rewrite portions of my MedAlarm program to better handle alarms under OS < 4.0 because I relied on the cool features (i.e. automatic repeat) of the 4.0 alarm manager.

I'll be posting a new version of Random Alarms later today that does fix the problem where no sounds selected causes no sound to be played as well as a few user interface changes. While I'm not sure that it will suit your needs, it might get others thinking about what is possible.
    I'll be posting a new version of Random Alarms later today that does fix the problem where no sounds selected causes no sound to be played as well as a few user interface changes. While I'm not sure that it will suit your needs, it might get others thinking about what is possible.
    sounds perfect--basically it adds a vibrate feature to all alarms, but if you choose you can also randomize the alarms as well. I'll register as soon as you put it up!

-thanks!
  14.    #14  
    I just put up the new version. If you want vibrate only, choose it from the vibrate menu and hit activate from the main screen. If you don't check anything, it will simply vibrate. I like the user interface a bit better now.

Thanks for your feedback...it has definitely made me think a bit about the program.
    Excellent. the Active/Inactive radio button is much more user friendly. thanks!

--edit: I told the DB4 group about it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pimlic.../message/19234
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 04/03/2002 at 12:58 PM.
    My suggestions for hacks:

1) When using the phone with an earbud, the up and down buttons should be useable for Hang Up and Extra Keys (for speed-dialing of passcodes and such). It seems silly to have to flip open the lid to hit the Return key to speed-dial my passcodes, especially since the volume function is already handled by the jog rocker.

2) In the Applications screen, you should be able to move among and launch applications using the jog rocker.
    Originally posted by burningyen
    My suggestions for hacks:
    2) In the Applications screen, you should be able to move among and launch applications using the jog rocker.
    I'm hoping the new LauncherX will have that capability.
    Originally posted by heberman
    I'm hoping the new LauncherX will have that capability.
    I'm not optimistic about LX having Treo-specific features--the developer seems pressed for time and more concerned (understandably enough) with making it work well with the Clie crowd--where most of the power users seem to be these days.
    MUTE MUTE MUTE! MUTE MUTE MUTE! MUTE MUTE MUTE!

Ironic to see the word MUTE shouted loudly, isn't it?

Yet somehow, these guys built a fantastic cell phone, with no mute button?!

C'mon - what kind of hindsight was that? I call into conference calls all the time - without a mute button, I'm stuck covering up the little pinhole with tape - and that's as inelegant a solution as you could get.

Please, PLEASE find a way to mute the darn mic.
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by BrooklynTreo
    MUTE MUTE MUTE! MUTE MUTE MUTE! MUTE MUTE MUTE!

Ironic to see the word MUTE shouted loudly, isn't it?

Yet somehow, these guys built a fantastic cell phone, with no mute button?!

C'mon - what kind of hindsight was that? I call into conference calls all the time - without a mute button, I'm stuck covering up the little pinhole with tape - and that's as inelegant a solution as you could get.

Please, PLEASE find a way to mute the darn mic.
    I just checked some of the developer stuff and couldn't find any available way to do this in software. There may be a hidden flag somewhere, but I haven't found it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast