1.    #1  
    Nextel uses the iDEN type network. It is a variation on TDMA and a close relative of GSM but they do not interchange.

I have heard that Nextel do some worldphones which also transmit via GSM. If that is what you were referring to I think the Treo and the Nextel phones SIMs should interchange OK. GSM=GSM - it is a pretty solid standard worldwide.

On another note, it seems a bit strange to me that Cingular and others are opening up yet another GSM band in the US on the 850MHz band - why add yet another frequency band to GSM when it is already a hassle to have a tri-band phone which will work everywhere?
    Originally posted by meta_dave
    [...] On another note, it seems a bit strange to me that Cingular and others are opening up yet another GSM band in the US on the 850MHz band - why add yet another frequency band to GSM when it is already a hassle to have a tri-band phone which will work everywhere?
    Because they have truckloads of money already invested in equipment for the 800MHz spectrum, and they can't just write it off.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...