Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I may be getting ready to deploy to the Middle East again. Now my question is, there is decent internet over there (if its the right time of day and all), if I take my Pre and a wireless router would I be able to call home? Thanks
    Not without a Voice Over IP (VOIP) solution (like a Skype client), which right now the Pre doesn't have.

There is a small chance that you might be able to use the Skype website once full Flash 10.1 comes to webOS, but I don't think it will work because I don't know if the Skype website will be able to access the Pre's microphone (doubtful).

The best bet would be for a Skype client (once the needed APIs for accessing the mic have been released by Palm). Until then, there's no way to write a Skype client.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 01/18/2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hey hanks, so yhen wi fi just for data? What bout text, or email? Thanks again.
    Email and browsing the web can be done over WiFi.

Text messaging (SMS) requires cellular service, so you won't be able to do that.

Basically, if you intend to take a CDMA-based Pre overseas, you will only be able to use it as a WiFi-enabled PDA, not a phone.

My recommendation would be to put the phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. That will keep the cellular radio off so it won't be constantly searching for a signal (killing your battery) while over there.

P.S. As a fellow vet, I wish you good luck. Be careful over there.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 01/19/2010 at 07:21 AM.
    Completely off topic but I wanted to say THANK YOU for doing your part for our country...you are appreciated greatly!!!! Good luck and be careful, we want our Pre community to stay strong.

My prayers go out to you and your family...thank you again Pre K!!