1.    #1  
    The TREO battery DOES NOT achieve the indicated 2.5 hours talk and 60 hours standby and based on threads on this message board, HS knows this to be true.

I like the TREO and in fact I'm OK with Cingular Wireless in the L.A. area, but I only get 1.25 hours talk and the battery is down to 20% by 8 hours of use (includes 1.25 hours talk, standby on and normal PDA usage)

I'm interested in other opinions. Should HS assure us of a battery fix or assure us of an product upgrade when TREO 2 with the fixes comes out?
    I agree. I charge my Treo in the morning, leave home around 8:00, and the battery is nearly dead by 8 or 9 o'clock. If I talk on the phone for an hour, sometimes it dies much earlier.

I find this unacceptable - the one truly bad thing about an otherwise incredible device.

I called Handspring yesterday and asked if they would release an update to the phone's firmware to increase battery life. I told them that the new units had updated software that increased battery life, and I wanted it!

Of course, the tech had no idea what I was talking about.

The Treo is not performing up to spec, and, so far as I'm concerned, it's defective. I'm close to demanding that Handspring replace mine - but even if they would, I'd be afraid of getting a more defective unit.

If we could get a REAL answer from Treo about when and if a firmware update will be available, that would be wonderful. Otherwise, I might have to take my chances with getting a replacement.

We could work together on this... Talking to Handspring's tech support is an incredibly frustrating experience. If one of us could escalete the issue up to a cluefull person, then we could share his contact info and bug him en masse. I'm sure they'd appreciate that!

-Chris
    I mentioned this in a earlier thread here my experiance with battery life. Don't mess around and wait, get your phone replaced!

Good luck

Rod
    "Happy are they whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned"

Romans 4:7
    If you are having battery problems, get it replaced. I got a replacment Treo and the battery life is at least 3-4x for standby and talk time - HUGE improvment and make the Treo SOOO much better.

I can actually not charge it for 2-3 days, and not run out of battery!!!

Not sure if it is software or hardware or a combination, but whatever it is, it is awsome!

-Justin
    Mayby a stupid question, but how do you get a replacement? Do you first have to send your old Treo to Handspring?
    Originally posted by imuffin
    We could work together on this... Talking to Handspring's tech support is an incredibly frustrating experience.
    -Chris
    Naw, talking to my credit card company about a charge they
    made to my account for a service they never provided was
    more fustrating. They said I should have called them if the offer didn't state everything it should have.
    Originally posted by Doobie
    Mayby a stupid question, but how do you get a replacement? Do you first have to send your old Treo to Handspring?
    Doobie,

Usually, after you call Handspring and giving them your credit card number they will send you a replacement. You then use the box to send the old one back.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I ordered a replacement yesterday. I had to struggle a bit, but I finally got it.

Aside from terrible battery life, my Treo's wireless mode turns off every one in a while. It's not too often - maybe once or twice a week, but it likes to do it while I'm on a call. It'll make the noise it makes when wireless mode it turned off, and then it's off. I can turn it back on again and it works fine.

This problem combined with the poor battery life was enough to make me call Handspring. I called last week. The tech told me to "watch how it performs for the next couple of days to see if it's better." Interesting advice. I guess Handspring built a self-repairing mechanism into the Treo.

Of course, the symtpoms persisted, so I called back today with my case number and asked for a replacement, having to explain all the symptoms again. When the tech agreed to replace it for me, she said I could either send it to Handspring and have it repaied, getting it back in three days, or I could pay $25 for an "express service" whereby they ship another Treo to me and I ship my old one back when I got it.

Like most people on this board, I'm an addict - the thought of being without a phone for three days didn't please me, nor did I feel like I was in the mood to pay Handspring for their mistakes. I explained to the tech that this was unfair, as I had reported the problem when I had the unit for less than a month. I threatened to return the Treo for a refund and buy Samsung's PDA phone (I would never really do that!). I asked if there was someone I could talk to to see about having the $25 fee waived. The tech went ahead and waived the fee for me. I should have a new treo in a few days! I'm really looking forward to the software patch for the battery issue.

Every time I talked to a tech about the battery thing, they seemed clueless. It's either untrue, or, more likely, Handspring isn't informing their front line techs about the patch. They must have been told something, though, because I think that battery life on the Treo is bad enough that they must get a lot of calls!

Anyway, the moral of the story is that Handspring will try to get you to pay to have the Treo replaced properly, but that their front-line techs have the authority to waive the fee. If the problem happens more than 30 days after recieving the Treo, though, it may be more difficult.

If anyone else gets their Treo replaced, please post your experiences so we can all benefit!

-Chris
    Originally posted by imuffin
    I should have a new treo in a few days! I'm really looking forward to the software patch for the battery issue.

Every time I talked to a tech about the battery thing, they seemed clueless. It's either untrue, or, more likely, Handspring isn't informing their front line techs about the patch. They must have been told something, though, because I think that battery life on the Treo is bad enough that they must get a lot of calls!

-Chris
    Hey Chris,
    please let us know if the battery patch is in fact a myth. I'm dying to find out. I know a few people have already said that it's true, but I'm wondering if they were just lucky. Thanks a million!
    I must say, I have not had any problem with battery life. It is not a monster battery, like I have seen on other phones, but it not much worse then the last phone I had (Audiovox Tri-mode on Verizon) I try to keep the unit charged, but I can easily go a 1- 1/2 to 2 day with moderate voice usage w/o a re-charge. I am not sure if I have a "patched" version (based on what I have read elsewhere, I do phonebook at v 2.5H4). Not to sure what else could account for the large variation on battery life. The only other thing that I can think of would be the initial charge. I charged mine for 90 only on initial charge. Good luck!
    Originally posted by uncledrunkle

Hey Chris,
    please let us know if the battery patch is in fact a myth. I'm dying to find out. I know a few people have already said that it's true, but I'm wondering if they were just lucky. Thanks a million!
    Well, I wish I had a good answer.

I received my replacement Treo the other day. Definitely has the new software. The problem is, it won't make data calls. Tries, retries, gves the standard "wrong number, data services not enabled, or ..." message. Take the simcard out of the new phone, put it in the new one, poof: works fine. Either the new phone is broken, or something about the firmware upgrade freaks out the Voicestream ISDN settings (not likely, or we would have heard about it).

I just got off the phone with Handspring - they're sending me another one.

The good news is that they are shipping them to me, so at least I don't have to do without my phone for any period of time. I would be REALLY frustrated by this point if that were the case.

As for battery life, it does seem like the new phone had better life, but not hugely better. I didn't have it long enough to form a solid conclusion, but I'd say it ups battery life from completely unnacceptable to reasonable.

There are some annoying things, though. When I walk from a building with no service to the outside, my old Treo would take over a minute to recognize that there's a network present... The new one seems to take twice as long! Maybe that accounts for the battery savings?

The other thing is that the signal *seems* to be weaker. I don't have a signal in some places I used to, and in places where it used to be a strong signal it's now only marginal. Again, I only had this unit for two days, so take it with a grain of salt - given Voicestream's track record, it's equally likely that something is screwey with them. Has anyone else transitioned from the old-firmware Treo to a new-firmware Treo and noticed any of these symptoms?

I should receive my second new Treo on Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep you guys posted.

-Chris
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Chris,
    FYI: I had the same "no data calls" problem with mine. I called VS and asked them to reset my data service. 5 minutes later it worked correctly, my guess is that they have some type of fraud protection that works fine on the voice side, but gets confused (or is misconfigured) on the data side.

Another Note: I've notice my replacement treo has the same no service problem someone else mentioned a few weeks back. If the unit thinks it's in a no service area when it tests for signal (like if you are in a tunnel or temporarally blocked from the tower) it takes FOREVER for the unit to re-initialize on the network. It's really killing me.
    Can someone post the ISDN setting for VS? Right now I dial in to my ISP to a POTS line and it takes a good amount of time to connect (when it does). Thanks.
    FWIW, this past weekend in BestBuy I saw some literature where the treo standby battery life is now listed as 100 hours. I didn't do a good test, but when I was going around with the phone on all the time so that I could test reception, and over the same period made a few calls, and roamed the web for about 20 minites, their estimate seems plausible. [BTW, both times on the web I got kicked off after about 10 minutes - don't know if this was bad connection luck or not.